• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino portugues or frances?!...

ritopaxi

hello :)

i will be leaving with my boyfriend next monday for the camino de santiago! we're really excited for this! we've done a few treks together in the himalayas and a couple of buddhist pilgrimages, but the camino has such a unique aura to it :) that we can't wait to get walking!

we're going to take a bus to the starting point and then walk to santiago and onwards to fisterra. but we're having a hard time choosing whether to do the french way from astorga or to do the portuguese way from porto... so your suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

we're on a tight budget and we don't mind carrying a light tent so that we save up on accommodation. we're also considering bringing a camping stove (a tiny one!) so that we can cook some stuff. or are there always cheap places to eat along the way?

looking forward to hearing your comments!

hope you're all having a great summer :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Re: camino portugues o frances?!...

I'd posted to this message on the Frances boards, but just in case anyone else is pondering the same question:

"I think this is too late for ritopaxi, but:
Your camino is your own, but the things I considered when making my own decision around 6 months ago were
-firstly, I was led to the camino, and to the Portuguese route in particular, by a few important people (Alicia who first told me about it, and then joined me at the start of my journey, and Stuart who recommended the Pt for my camino). The camino is about your journey with James (even if you aren't Christian- and I'm not) and your connection with other pilgrims; listen to what they say!
-it's holy year, and the Pt route has far fewer people
-this route feels more connected with the 'living James'; he may well have ministered on the other routes, but on the Pt you go through where he converted Queen Lupa, and follow the path his own body took to Santiago. (Others might quibble with my evidence- I don't claim to have fully researched it!)
-I'd been told by experienced pilgrims that the Pt route was more beautiful for trees and forests, and I appreciated the final approach into Santiago; being able to see it across a valley
-I'm not aware of camping sites on the Pt route, but the Pt albergues tend to charge 3euros, the Gallician ones 5euros. A number of the Pt albergues are new, and are very well equipped with good kitchens. You'd be carrying less kit, and that matters!

that said, I'm returning to the Pt route next month with a view to doing the other route(s) (perhaps in reverse) in future; whether this is because the Pt doesn't give you the full experience, or because of an incompleteness in myself, I don't know!"

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back