Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Camino Portugues. Porto to Santiago de Compostela Blog

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Eagle

Year of past OR future Camino
Camino Franceis '07, Camino Portugues '10, Camino Franceis Sept '12
Hello Perigrinos -
I just finished Camino Portugues (16 Oct '09) from Porto to Santiago. Observations: It took 12 days mainly because it rained pretty hard for 3. There are few but nice albergues in Portugal. There are nice but expensive Quintas (farmhouses) thoughout Portugal that I did shelter at during the rains. The walk is not difficult except for the fear of death by car in Portugal where the Camino is ofter along roads without room for cars and people at the same time. The Portugues are great but do not really understand about Perigrinos (explained by Portugues college professor that walked a bit with me). They also have thier own pilgrimage to Fatima with is depicted by blue arrows.
Once in Spain. it was pretty smooth going, however the Portugues part of the Camino was much better marked with the yellow arrows than the Spanish section.
Overall it is a very enjoyable walk (except for the roads) and can be done easily in 2 weeks evern by someone who turned 62 on 10/10/09. Santiago in the Fall is spectacular.
Buen Camino, EagleBill

ps does anyone know what the circular Camino ceramic jewerly mean?

Eagle said:
Hello Perigrinos -
I just finished Camino Portugues (16 Oct '09) from Porto to Santiago. Observations: It took 12 days mainly because it rained pretty hard for 3. There are few but nice albergues in Portugal. There are nice but expensive Quintas (farmhouses) thoughout Portugal that I did shelter at during the rains. The walk is not difficult except for the fear of death by car in Portugal where the Camino is ofter along roads without room for cars and people at the same time. The Portugues are great but do not really understand about Perigrinos (explained by Portugues college professor that walked a bit with me). They also have thier own pilgrimage to Fatima with is depicted by blue arrows.
Once in Spain. it was pretty smooth going, however the Portugues part of the Camino was much better marked with the yellow arrows than the Spanish section.
Overall it is a very enjoyable walk (except for the roads) and can be done easily in 2 weeks evern by someone who turned 62 on 10/10/09. Santiago in the Fall is spectacular.
Buen Camino, EagleBill

ps does anyone know what the circular Camino ceramic jewerly mean?

hi eagle, im a poor peregrino for real, so i can handle rooms of my own on occasion, but im hoping in portugal there must be small pensions with fair prices am i right? 30 euro basically equals 45 dollars for me..i am doing this again, for it is my call, no matter how much money i was able to save, the Spirit World will provide....are you saying the people in portugal do not understand that some peregrinos are really poor people walking a mission? if you would take some time to explain, i would appreciate that, as i can always walk from astorga, i enjoyed the spanish peoples view of us, it felt kind, and always i heard a good word from them. thanks, and buen camino...sorry not aware of ceramic design...

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Johnny - there are good albergues on this route - a bed for a donation in Portugal and a charge of 3 euros when you cross to Spain. In Portugal you can also find a bed and shower in the firestations. Details are in the Guide.

JohnnieWalker said:
Johnny - there are good albergues on this route - a bed for a donation in Portugal and a charge of 3 euros when you cross to Spain. In Portugal you can also find a bed and shower in the firestations. Details are in the Guide.

thanks JW....i will be doing the Camino Portugues, i should not be having any worry...i was just a little curious over the comment about the Portugues, not understanding the Peregrino...me thinks maby they meant, the "new wave"..peregrino. even as i was leaving santiago for my bus back to madrid, the spanish were coming to me to offer me food...i was so touched by their giving nature, whether i was hungry or not, i always took the food with thanks, and humility. this forum has been so very useful for me, and im thankful for all of you, and your time. buen camino.....

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

ultreaperegrino

johnnyesparto said:
JohnnieWalker said:

thanks JW....i will be doing the Camino Portugues, i should not be having any worry...i was just a little curious over the comment about the Portugues, not understanding the Peregrino...me thinks maby they meant, the "new wave"..peregrino. even as i was leaving santiago for my bus back to madrid, the spanish were coming to me to offer me food...i was so touched by their giving nature, whether i was hungry or not, i always took the food with thanks, and humility. this forum has been so very useful for me, and im thankful for all of you, and your time. buen camino.....

Hi, i walked Camino Portugues this year(April-May) from Fatima.What i have to say no albergues till after Porto, i was camping ,was with a dog...people mostly don't know about Camino despite was very obviously how Camino in Portugal has very very old roots( by the monuments along) and yes people there in Portugal are nice and beautiful. In Sao Joao da Madeira while we were resting by the road ( lot of uphill and downhill) one woman came bringing fresh warm dinner for me and some for my dog, and there in Alvaiazere ..and in Porto and i could write a lot about how nice people were there.One thing Camino was marked all from Fatima so good in both directions yellow toward Santiago and blue toward Fatima!!! and the most beautiful and Camino spirit albergue was in Sao Pedro de Rates!!
who ever wants to walk Camino Portuges, go for it!!
Ultreia!!

hel&scott

Veteran Member
2004 St Jean - Santiago, 2008 &18 Seville - Finesterre, 2010 Ferrol - Lisbon, 2012 from Cartehenga.
Thanks for this link, I will check it out... I see you started a virtual Kiwi reunion on your site. While we have not actually ever run into NZ companions on our first trip on the Camino Francés in 2004 there was an 80 year old Kiwi on the route who we kept hearing of, and when on the 2008 Vía de la Plata a mother and daughter team (from Hamilton I think) were behind us. You never know this time out on the Portugues Way we may stumble across one.

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
Hi Hel and Scott, and greetings to two Kiwis. I met just a handful of other Kiwis in 2008, when I walked from Le Puy, but Radio Camino worked well, and I always seemed to hear about any others who were within coo-ee on the route. And as things happen with Kiwis, when I met a young Kiwi couple in Mansilla de las Mulas, it turned out the young man went to the same high school as my nephews..... and later I even found out my sister was friends with his parents....
Your blog looks interesting and I look forward to exploring it more.
Margaret
(from Palmerston North)

ann o neill

Hi, heading to Porto next week to walk to Tui, am hoping to do the coastal route but am finding it difficult to get info on same hope to start in Matosinhos
would love to hear from anyone who did the coastal route, is it all beach? what of accommodation and is it signposted?

:wink:
Ann

marjm007

Hi, i walked Camino Portugues this year(April-May) from Fatima.What i have to say no albergues till after Porto, i was camping ,was with a dog...people mostly don't know about Camino despite was very obviously how Camino in Portugal has very very old roots( by the monuments along) and yes people there in Portugal are nice and beautiful. In Sao Joao da Madeira while we were resting by the road ( lot of uphill and downhill) one woman came bringing fresh warm dinner for me and some for my dog, and there in Alvaiazere ..and in Porto and i could write a lot about how nice people were there.One thing Camino was marked all from Fatima so good in both directions yellow toward Santiago and blue toward Fatima!!! and the most beautiful and Camino spirit albergue was in Sao Pedro de Rates!!
who ever wants to walk Camino Portuges, go for it!!
Ultreia!![/QUOTE
How far was it from Fatima to Santiago. I am in the process of deciding where I would like to start. Ticket purchased. I am on my way.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances