• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues Road Walking

Rossco

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015, Camino Portugues 2017, Camino Finisterre 2017, Le Puy Route (Sept. 2018)
I was planning on starting the Camino Portugues from Lisbon in April but after reading a few blogs recently I am having secon thoughts. Apparently there's quite a lot of sections where I will have to walk on roads and highways. Is this correct? It was also stated that it wasn't very pleasant until you reach Porto. Now I am leaning towards starting in Le Puy and finishing in St Jean. Maybe some of the info in the blogs has been exaggerated. Would appreciate anyone's past experience. Thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Apparently there's quite a lot of sections where I will have to walk on roads and highways. Is this correct? Now I am leaning towards starting in Le Puy and finishing in St Jean.
There is walking on highways in Portugal. The Le Puy route also has a lot of walking on roads. In both cases, it has been hard to find routes that are unoccupied. France does a good job of pedestrian safety, so the path can be very convoluted!

Very few of the road bits in Portugal were really scary. There were a few, though! And a walking trail in the fairly-new nature area may not be highway or even back road, but in near-100F weather and the complete lack of shade, it is a challenge. Nothing is a free skate in life. The Camino is going to challenge you, no matter which route you follow.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, Rossco,
This is a question that has gotten a lot of discussion on the forum and there are many different opinions. I have walked from Lisbon, but it was in 2008, I think. Things have changed dramatically since then -- Accommodations, numbers of pilgrims, and the efforts by the Via Lusitana to get the caminho off-road. I may be biased because I love Portugal, but I really enjoyed the part between Lisboa and Porto. To be fair, not everyone does.

Take a look at Maggie's blog from a few years ago. https://magwood.me/my-caminos/camino-portuguese/

And there are a lot of threads on this topic, you can find them by searching for "start Lisbon." Here's one I particularly like: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/why-start-in-lisbon.29651/

But there are lots more, e.g., https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...where-to-start-from-lisboa.45562/#post-480615
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-santiago-what-not-to-miss.44823/#post-470851

There are roads to walk along. Not much in the way of "highway". The roads are generally country roads and almost always there is a little sandy track along side the Tarmac. The scariest bits of road I came across we're coming into Tomar and then again in Spain coming into and out of Vigo. Two trails though forest were rough and steep but perfectly doable. I also "worried" about the reported road walking but it wasn't an issue. I guess it is what you are used to same as hills.

Too much road walking between Porto and Santiago for my liking. The coastal path ftom Porto was nice with some lovely fishing villages. The portuguese small towns and people very warm and welcoming. From Tui on not so great and much more expensive. The towns run down and more industrial.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There was more road walking than I had expected from Porto. Perhaps if I had known it would be like that and that the Portuguese drivers are not as considerate as Spanish ones, I might have been better prepared for it and not taken so much by surprise!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back