• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues starting in Porto

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, welcome to the forum. Most on here will probably advise that you don’t need a Tour Guide or a travel company to walk the Portuguese pilgrimage routes unless you have very specific needs.
A search on Godgle and dear old Tripeadvertiser will take you to more enthusiastic reviews.
Age 64 puts you towards the junior rather than senior bracket among contented pilgrims so don’t be daunted by the challenges 😉
A couple of sessions on the forum’s Portuguese pages may provide all you need
Happy planning

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are looking for a reputable tour guide to take os on the Camino Portugues walk starting in Porto. Also would love any additional suggestions anyone has. We will be 64, but in good shape.
I'm not sure what your thinking is here. Clearly some people prefer to have everything organised for them, but I suggest that this is almost completely unnecessary.

This is not like a walking tour of a city or town where one quickly moves from one scenic attraction to the next. There will be long stretches of walking through a combination of urban areas, small towns and rural areas that will not have any value added by the presence of a tour guide.

Consider booking with a travel company if you are uncertain. But my view is that this is also completely unnecessary, although it clearly offers some people comfort to have accommodation arrangements made for them. My observation about this is that it has risks associated with it, like finding your accommodation is several km off track and there is no transport to take you there. The first time I saw this was when my wife and I walked with someone using a booking company when we were on the CF a few years ago, It still seems to be happening today.

This may seem like a long way from where you are currently thinking, but my suggestion is that you just get to Porto and begin walking. Book ahead each day or perhaps for the couple of next nights and use pack transport if you must, but retain the flexibility to make your own decisions about where and when you walk and stay to the maximum extent possible.

My observation about this is that it has risks associated with it, like finding your accommodation is several km off track and there is no transport to take you there.
Or the fact that booking with a company forces you into a rigid schedule, and you may want to walk shorter or longer distances than the pre-arranged stages. Additionally, you may need or want to take a day off due to illness, injury, or weather - such as the current heat wave. Or you may just want to spend more time in one place than the tour company has arranged.

If you do end up booking with a company I would recommend that you don't pre-book your dinners. I met a woman this year whose package included breakfast and dinner. She ended up not using many of the pre-arranged dinners simply because she preferred to eat with other pilgrims that she met along the way rather than dining alone in her pre-booked restaurant.

We are looking for a reputable tour guide to take os on the Camino Portugues walk starting in Porto. Also would love any additional suggestions anyone has. We will be 64, but in good shape.
As others have said. What you are seeking is completely unnecessary.
Really.
You'd be surprised, perhaps, but it is very easy to arrange your camino yourself - not only is it vastly cheaper but you have a measure of spontaneity that allows you to walk at your own pace day to day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would recommend connecting with a local American Pilgrims on the Camino chapter if there is one in your area. You will find that we Camino nuts are happy to talk (incessantly sometimes) about our Caminos, and many of us love to help others plan their journeys.

Hi Kwekwe!
Yep do it yourself very easy and fun!
Companies charge a lot for very little but using the internet.
Walked the Coastal Senda Litoral and the Espiritual last year. (spring chicken at 67)
Booked all sleeps in advance as fear and being severely sight impaired led my thinking; big mistake will not do that again! (book the first couple of nights; short stages and see how your walking is going)
It became a route march to get to my bed because i had already paid for it; not fun.
Hope you get sorted you will love it
Buen Camino
Woody

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My sister (66) and I (62) are walking the Central route in September. I’m happy to share our planned itinerary if that would help. There are many excellent resources to help you plan your own Camino. This forum is a great place to start.

Please do share notes.
2 favorite albergues on the camino portugués costal
Must goes for me

@Oia
La Cala - A Pilgrim's Inn
(641) 780-5363

@ padrón which for me was the last stop so it was great to stay at a nice place.
Camiño da Vieira
+34 696 79 09 65

Hi Kwekwe!
I know your doing the Portuguese but which one from Porto?
Is it the Coastal
or Senda Littoral, or Central
Woody

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Kwekwe!
I know your doing the Portuguese but which one from Porto?
Is it the Coastal
or Senda Littoral, or Central
Woody
Not sure yet. Probably the Coastal and more than likely the last 100 KM. Which one id best?

My sister (66) and I (62) are walking the Central route in September. I’m happy to share our planned itinerary if that would help. There are many excellent resources to help you plan your own Camino. This forum is a great place to start.
I'd love to see any notes you have.

Do choose exactly the way you want to go and do it and don't feel pressurised into doing it differently unless you want to. Here is my blog link in case it's helpful. Have a lovely time https://walkingwithoutadonkey.com/portugal/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Kwekwe!
If your going to start in Porto it's 280 km on the Coastal to Santiago!
If you only do the last 100 km you will start walking on the Central route away from the coast!
If you have Google Chrome installed check out the Gronze website below it's a great resource to work out stages and places to stay (chrome translates it from Spanish) https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues-costa
Also download an app like Buen Camino,Camino Ninja or Wise Pilgrim all have GPS for your phone or tablet easy to use and show distances. They also show accommodation and much more along the way.
Buen Camino
Woody

Last edited:
If you're walking the last 100 km to Santiago, you could start walking from Tui at the Portugal-Spanish border, which is a nice town. Just google camino consumer es and look at the laps proposed for the Portuguese way. You don't need a tour guide.

Hi. My brothers and I (ages 64, 61 & 57) walked the Camino Portugues starting in Porto in June. I outlined a detailed document of our itinerary. I'll send it to you if you like. Included daily distance, difficulty rating, towns along the way, services in each town, accommodations, etc.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi. My brothers and I (ages 64, 61 & 57) walked the Camino Portugues starting in Porto in June. I outlined a detailed document of our itinerary. I'll send it to you if you like. Included daily distance, difficulty rating, towns along the way, services in each town, accommodations, etc.
Yes, please share.

Do choose exactly the way you want to go and do it and don't feel pressurised into doing it differently unless you want to. Here is my blog link in case it's helpful. Have a lovely time https://walkingwithoutadonkey.com/portugal/
Hey Tasmin,

I was reading your blog! Thank you. I noticed in Mos you stayed at Casa Blanca. Question - did you pre-book it or did you just show up? We are planning on just showing up. I saw on the Camino wise pilgrim app that there is an Albergue Santa Baia de Mos. Did you see this place?

Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, please share.
Here is an edited version of the document we used. The actual one used included confirmation details with hyperlinks and PDFs. It also included details on a pre-Camino side trip to Monaco for the F1 GP. I had to convert it to PDF format, as it wasn't allowing me to attach a Word document.

Attachments

• Camino Trip.pdf
    425.8 KB · Views: 154
Hey Tasmin,

I was reading your blog! Thank you. I noticed in Mos you stayed at Casa Blanca. Question - did you pre-book it or did you just show up? We are planning on just showing up. I saw on the Camino wise pilgrim app that there is an Albergue Santa Baia de Mos. Did you see this place?

Thanks!
Hi,
I'm sorry, I can't remember. I might have pre-booked the day before or the same morning, but not further ahead than that definitely. It's not in the main town, so I didn't see the other albergue, no, unless I passed it the next day on the way out. I apologise for not being more helpful - it was 2019 and it feels like a lot has happened since then!
Tamsin

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, fellow pilgrims to be on the camino Portuguese.
I took the Portuguese camino a few years ago starting Porto and I really enjoyed the entire experiences. Since the Portugal was my first travel, I decided to land LIsbon first and spent a few days' sightseeing by myself and took a train to Porto and then another sightseeing in Porto for 3 days before my camino walks launched. I was close to mid 70's and no major medical problems. Also from the U.S.A. You don't need a tour guide for the camino walk nor for the city tour in both such beautiful cities in Portugal. Because of a self-tour, I walked a lot everyday in the both cities and I found it helped very much for my upcoming walking on the central route. I'm posting this for the people who hasn't seen such beautiful country, so you can combine a sightseeing and pilgrimage with prior much needed exercise. Buen Camino!

I don’t have any recommendations for a guide, but I have 2 suggestions.

I walked the Central in May. I wish I would have listened to everyone and skipped the first 2 days out of Porto or taking the costal/litoral out of Porto.

My only other advise is to absolutely do the Spiritual Variant. It was my favorite part of the entire trip.

I walked the Central in May. I wish I would have listened to everyone and skipped the first 2 days out of Porto or taking the costal/litoral out of Porto.
Well, not everyone would recommend that you miss walking out from the centre of Porto. I walked the Central route this year. Much of the first day from Porto might lack the aesthetic appear of the older parts of the city, but I took the view that it was where people lived and worked, and it was just as important to see and appreciate that as visiting churches and civic monuments along the way.

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm sorry, I can't remember. I might have pre-booked the day before or the same morning, but not further ahead than that definitely. It's not in the main town, so I didn't see the other albergue, no, unless I passed it the next day on the way out. I apologise for not being more helpful - it was 2019 and it feels like a lot has happened since then!
Tamsin
Thanks for trying to remember!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Portugues walk starting in Porto. Also would love any additional suggestions anyone has.
How far apart are the towns
The starting point for your planning - even for deciding whether to use a tour guide or not - should be to find a guidebook or website that outlines the route and suggests daily stages. Those guides will also provide information about which towns have bars, restaurants, and other facilities.

I haven't walked from Porto to Santiago, but I would guess that on that route, most bladders would survive from one town to the next.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I’m walking the Central alone next spring (walked sjpdp w/ husband this year for my first Camino). Trying to decide dates. I’m not sure if the Portugues gets the same May 1 and May 8 peak waves or the Saturday starts waves… any info from anyone here on crowds in the first half of May on the Portugues?

The starting point for your planning - even for deciding whether to use a tour guide or not - should be to find a guidebook or website that outlines the route and suggests daily stages. Those guides will also provide information about which towns have bars, restaurants, and other facilities.

I haven't walked from Porto to Santiago, but I would guess that on that route, most bladders would survive from one town to the next.
Do you know a great guidebook that ensures we will not get lost. I bought one, but it is confusing. The book I have is:

A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino Portugués Lisbon - Porto - Santiago:

Haven’t you answered your own question?
What is confusing about the guidebook you have? They all describe the same route(s), mostly provide the same information in regards to accommodation and refreshments.
No guidebook will guarantee that you won’t get lost. That is dependent on your ability to interpret the information in the guidebook and apply that information and your interpretation of it to the physical landscape.

If you really do want a personal, physical, guide to the Camino my rate is €250 per day plus expenses. I guarantee you will have an extraordinary time 😉

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have another question: How does one deal with water or potty breaks?
My approach is to go to the toilet before I leave where I am staying in the morning whether I feel like it or not. After that, I use the toilet at every bar/cafe after I have had a coffee. You will quickly develop a routine. I call mine the three Ps:
  • use the Potty (there is a shorter NSFW term that I will leave to your imagination)
  • Pay
  • Put a stamp in my credential
That doesn't mean I don't sometimes have to urinate at the side of the road, which is somewhat easier for a bloke. There is plenty of advice on the forum on how to avoid leaving paper etc littering the path - you just need to search for it.
Do you know a great guidebook that ensures we will not get lost. I bought one, but it is confusing. The book I have is:

A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino Portugués Lisbon - Porto - Santiago:
Nothing ever ensures that one won't get lost. My experience is that while there are a complex set of options north of Porto, once you have decided on a route, you can mark up your guidebook and maps with that, and it all becomes a lot simpler. I also found that using a mapping app like OSM And+ with the route files loaded into it on my smartphone was a great aid.

Last edited:
I have another question: How does one deal with water or potty breaks?
Porto to Santiago is almost a continuous stream of small villages and towns. You will find plenty of fountains, bars and cafes, certainly as often as you need water. Or a toilet. If an emergency, use the great outdoors, but please please do not leave toilet paper. Take a small ziplock plastic bag for any waste. Other suggestions are a small cotton hanky to wipe yourself, and rinse out at night, or panty liners, or a FUD.

I would love to have the outline

My approach is to go to the toilet before I leave where I am staying in the morning whether I feel like it or not. After that, I use the toilet at every bar/cafe after I have had a coffee. You will quickly develop a routine.
(As dougfitz said just buy something before using their toilet facilities)
My experience is that while there are a complex set of options north of Porto, once you have decided on a route, you can mark up your guidebook and maps with that, and it all becomes a lot simpler. I also found that using a mapping app like OSM And+ with the route files loaded into it on my smartphone was a great aid.
Hi Kwekwe!
I used Osmand + on my Coastal downloaded GPX track from the Dutch fraternity of saint James link here
https://www.santiago.nl/downloads/

As it has voice prompts for those walking any route! and Wise Pilgrim app on my phone!
Don't scare yourself about the walk; if you get lost ask someone for help if the don't speak English use Google translate on your phone honest you will be fine!:)
Woody

With friends I've walked various Caminos . C.F. Portuguese and the Baztan.

2019 Porto to Santiago coast to Cahmina then inland and on to the Central.
This year we walked at the end of April - Porto to SdC. Central route and Variante Espiritual . (4 ladies aged 68 to 75 ) Everyone survived with no mishaps.

Before we set out we made a rough plan for daily kms but mostly booked accommodation just a day ahead. Sometimes we chanced it and did not book.

From the cathedral follow the river out of Porto and then walk a while by the sea. Then decide whether to go inland or stay by the sea.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
(Also hiking Camino Central and Espiritual in September to celebrate my milestone birthday (60). Hope to see you!)

We just finished the Portugues Coastal route walking from late April into mid May, our first Camino. We are a few years older than you and felt young on the trail.

We used the "Wise Pilgrim" app and the Wise Pilgrim guide book. The routs are clearly marked in the book and the app has real time map tracking, when needed.

The Camino is very well marked along this route and your eyes will become trained after only a day or so to spot the arrows, in their various forms, almost automatically. If you stray off the path don't panic. We did on occasion and locals noticed we were not where they usually see pilgrims and offered directional assistance just to be helpful.

We mapped out our personal route using our daily distance goal long before we left. We used Bookings.com to handle most of the accommodations. I recommend booking 2-3 days ahead. If you book the entire route and something happens that delays you, you can spend an entire evening or more rebooking future stays, but looking 2-3 days ahead was about perfect for us.

Our approach was to understand what our plan was, become as familiar as possible with the guides we were using, and be flexible when needed. I do agree with what others have said here that a guide would be overkill, but you must do what you are comfortable with. Hang out in the forum. Read what people are/have posted about the route you are considering.

Hi, fellow pilgrims to be on the camino Portuguese.
I took the Portuguese camino a few years ago starting Porto and I really enjoyed the entire experiences. Since the Portugal was my first travel, I decided to land LIsbon first and spent a few days' sightseeing by myself and took a train to Porto and then another sightseeing in Porto for 3 days before my camino walks launched. I was close to mid 70's and no major medical problems. Also from the U.S.A. You don't need a tour guide for the camino walk nor for the city tour in both such beautiful cities in Portugal. Because of a self-tour, I walked a lot everyday in the both cities and I found it helped very much for my upcoming walking on the central route. I'm posting this for the people who hasn't seen such beautiful country, so you can combine a sightseeing and pilgrimage with prior much needed exercise. Buen Camino!
Hey Don, I have walked parts of the Frances 3 times and have 2 weeks to spare next April. I want to walk from Porto to Santiago but not on the coastal way. Is there a specific name for the interior Portugal route or is it called Portuguese Camino too? I ask because all I have been seeing are references to the coastal way. Are there services, ie Albergues and cafes along the interior way?

Hey Don, I have walked parts of the Frances 3 times and have 2 weeks to spare next April. I want to walk from Porto to Santiago but not on the coastal way. Is there a specific name for the interior Portugal route or is it called Portuguese Camino too? I ask because all I have been seeing are references to the coastal way. Are there services, ie Albergues and cafes along the interior way?
It's the Central route.
Many people like to walk on the Senda Litoral along the coast for the first day or two from Porto, then cut over to the Central route at Vila do Conde.
The Stingy Nomads blog/site has some good information about deciding which route(s) to take.

I would love any notes or suggestions of where to stay. We are a group of 4 walking from Porto to Santiago, so around 12 days walking. Thanks. Ana

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Laurie
I took the Central route (Caminho central) from the train station of Porto. I believe it is the most popular route but there are a few other ways including the coastal route. Some people starts from Coastal way and join the Central route. Although the way marks were not visible very well in the city of Porto it wasn’t really problems. Once you got out of the city you just follow the yellow arrows. It was very pleasant experiences.
Enjoy your Potugese Camino. And Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Laurie
I took the Central route (Caminho central) from the train station of Porto. I believe it is the most popular route but there are a few other ways including the coastal route. Some people starts from Coastal way and join the Central route. Although the way marks were not visible very well in the city of Porto it wasn’t really problems. Once you got out of the city you just follow the yellow arrows. It was very pleasant experiences.
Enjoy your Potugese Camino. And Buen Camino!
Thank you.

Here is an edited version of the document we used. The actual one used included confirmation details with hyperlinks and PDFs. It also included details on a pre-Camino side trip to Monaco for the F1 GP. I had to convert it to PDF format, as it wasn't allowing me to attach a Word document.
wow I'm planning on doing the portuguese in 2023 and this outline is great! Thank you for sharing

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Please share! I'm going first of October~

I'm not sure what your thinking is here. Clearly some people prefer to have everything organised for them, but I suggest that this is almost completely unnecessary.

This is not like a walking tour of a city or town where one quickly moves from one scenic attraction to the next. There will be long stretches of walking through a combination of urban areas, small towns and rural areas that will not have any value added by the presence of a tour guide.

Consider booking with a travel company if you are uncertain. But my view is that this is also completely unnecessary, although it clearly offers some people comfort to have accommodation arrangements made for them. My observation about this is that it has risks associated with it, like finding your accommodation is several km off track and there is no transport to take you there. The first time I saw this was when my wife and I walked with someone using a booking company when we were on the CF a few years ago, It still seems to be happening today.

This may seem like a long way from where you are currently thinking, but my suggestion is that you just get to Porto and begin walking. Book ahead each day or perhaps for the couple of next nights and use pack transport if you must, but retain the flexibility to make your own decisions about where and when you walk and stay to the maximum extent possible.
Which pack transport do you recommend from Porto to Santiago?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sean - grateful to have your itinerary if possible - (email address removed by moderator. Please contact via private message) - planning for 2023

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello I'd love to receive your itinerary. I'd like to walk the coastal route in October...probably from Porto. warmest megan

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back