A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Camino Portugues - Tui to O Porriño

dfox

Camino(s) past & future
CF (4/2017)
CP (5/2019)
Yesterday we walked from Tui to O Porriño. There were two routes, the “original” and “Complementario” (sp).

Although the Complementario (sp) is a bit longer (1.5 km?), it runs along a creek and in a forest-like environment. We walked on “dirt” trail.

On the other hand, the “original” trail does not have shade and walked on asphalt road, but it is a little bit shorter.

Hope this help

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
There are merchants on the original route who are unhappy with lost revenues.

MyDestinationGalicia

Mark Auchincloss
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Invierno, June 2017,Portuguese Coastal Way x6
French Way Sarria x 5 ,Silver Way Ourense
Yes I agree with you..it's a beautiful walk. In fact I enjoy the walk from O Porriño to Redondela too..although upon leaving the town along the main road ignore the mojon which directs you to go up a hill to your right..it's a waste of time & brings you back down to the road! But to Mos and beyond to Redondela it's pleasant..

Last edited:

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF2012,Le Puy/CF 2015 Portugues 2017 Norte 2018, CF 2019
The day I walked it I took the shorter route as it was a really hot day. It is not the prettiest way to go. Wish I had gone the other way now.

Holly West

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
Yesterday we walked from Tui to O Porriño. There were two routes, the “original” and “Complementario” (sp).

Although the Complementario (sp) is a bit longer (1.5 km?), it runs along a creek and in a forest-like environment. We walked on “dirt” trail.

On the other hand, the “original” trail does not have shade and walked on asphalt road, but it is a little bit shorter.

Hope this help
We loved that complementario along the creek and especially being able to put our feet into the creek at that spot where the board crosses the creek!! The shade is so nice too!!

Rex

Pilgrim Trekker
Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to Santiago (2013)
Lisboa to Santiago (2018)
There are merchants on the original route who are unhappy with lost revenues.
You are correct; and some of them have been suspected of encouraging the vandalism of the signs along the route Complementario.
In Sept, 2018, I took the alternate route and had to scout for signs at a couple of pathway intersections, as the original signs were either removed or painted over. Fortunately, my GPS was working well and I found my way along the path with no difficulty. There were also several handmade signs along the way that directed pilgrims back to the original path. One Portuguese pilgrim opined that the loss of revenue is material to the merchants whose shops are being bypassed by this more serene and less industrial pathway, so they don't view this as a benign rerouting for the benefit of pilgrims. The "complementario" is about 1 mile longer (1.5KM) by my reckoning, but worth the extra steps.

Bom Caminho.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 154 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 254 24.9%