• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues - Tui to O Porriño

dfox

Time of past OR future Camino
Yesterday we walked from Tui to O Porriño. There were two routes, the “original” and “Complementario” (sp).

Although the Complementario (sp) is a bit longer (1.5 km?), it runs along a creek and in a forest-like environment. We walked on “dirt” trail.

On the other hand, the “original” trail does not have shade and walked on asphalt road, but it is a little bit shorter.

Hope this help

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are merchants on the original route who are unhappy with lost revenues.

Yes I agree with you..it's a beautiful walk. In fact I enjoy the walk from O Porriño to Redondela too..although upon leaving the town along the main road ignore the mojon which directs you to go up a hill to your right..it's a waste of time & brings you back down to the road! But to Mos and beyond to Redondela it's pleasant..

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The day I walked it I took the shorter route as it was a really hot day. It is not the prettiest way to go. Wish I had gone the other way now.

Yesterday we walked from Tui to O Porriño. There were two routes, the “original” and “Complementario” (sp).

Although the Complementario (sp) is a bit longer (1.5 km?), it runs along a creek and in a forest-like environment. We walked on “dirt” trail.

On the other hand, the “original” trail does not have shade and walked on asphalt road, but it is a little bit shorter.

Hope this help
We loved that complementario along the creek and especially being able to put our feet into the creek at that spot where the board crosses the creek!! The shade is so nice too!!

There are merchants on the original route who are unhappy with lost revenues.
You are correct; and some of them have been suspected of encouraging the vandalism of the signs along the route Complementario.
In Sept, 2018, I took the alternate route and had to scout for signs at a couple of pathway intersections, as the original signs were either removed or painted over. Fortunately, my GPS was working well and I found my way along the path with no difficulty. There were also several handmade signs along the way that directed pilgrims back to the original path. One Portuguese pilgrim opined that the loss of revenue is material to the merchants whose shops are being bypassed by this more serene and less industrial pathway, so they don't view this as a benign rerouting for the benefit of pilgrims. The "complementario" is about 1 mile longer (1.5KM) by my reckoning, but worth the extra steps.

Bom Caminho.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I took the Industrial road route on a hot September day. It was brutal but my group just wanted to get to our hotel and rest. No shade, dusty because of construction and no place to sit and rest. Out of 34 people in our group only 3 took the Complimentario route. That Industrial Road still gives me nightmares.

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back