• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues - Which Guidebook?

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
I will be walking in early March from Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela. I have copies of both the Brierley and Wise Pilgrim guidebooks and am not sure which is best.

I lean to the Wise Pilgrim guidebook as it seems so straightforward however would appreciate any thoughts from pilgrims who have walked the Camino Portugues.

Thanks

Guy

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Guy, I walked from Porto to Santiago last Apr and then from Santaren to Porto last Oct. Had a Brierly guide with me, was a life saver as both of my Caminos happened spontaneously and I didn't plan them. The route is well marked all the way from Lisbon, and after Porto it even gets better and easier in many respects. I think I've also seen a book of maps on the Portuguese way from Brierly, that would also do for this road. Anyway, take the one that that you like better and weighs less :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I used the Brierley one in my camino - Ponte de Lima to Santiago last October, and I found it useful, but I have never read the Wise Pilgrim's one. However it was more useful in regards to albergue information and upon leaving the city in which we slept, because I'm very confident that I would be able to walk it just by following the arrows. From where I left the marking was always there every 100mts or so, and upon entering Spain, it is a bit different but also very clear. So take the one you like the most maybe!

I will be walking in early March from Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela. I have copies of both the Brierley and Wise Pilgrim guidebooks and am not sure which is best.

I lean to the Wise Pilgrim guidebook as it seems so straightforward however would appreciate any thoughts from pilgrims who have walked the Camino Portugues.

Thanks

Guy
Hi GuyA :)

when I walked CP, I did not use a guide. Why do you think that you need a guide? I had Maps.me on my cell phone, nothing more.
I did not get lost and I've seen everything I wanted.

You are a pilgrim, put some adventures in your Way :)

Hey Guy, My wife and I used both the Brierley and the Confraternity Guides in 2015. We walked from Lisbon. Either one would be adequate. Route is well marked. We're not familiar with the Wise Pilgrim guidebook. We've used Brierley guides before on other routes and it was very adequate. You'll be fine whichever one you use. Bon Caminho.

Dayton and Karen.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks once again for the helpful advice...have always liked the maps in the Brierley guidebooks (fun to look at...however not as enthused about the rest of the guide) so have ordered the Camino Portuguese maps only version and will consider taking it with the Wise Pilgrim book.

As to my being a pilgrim that brought a smile...after walking 5 separate Camino Routes I must admit that I have always been uncomfortable with and do not consider myself a true pilgrim. I have been extremely fortunate to walk in the footsteps of many past pilgrims...without their efforts I would not have a route to follow!

I walk with an iPhone, carry a guidebook, usually know where I will be staying in advance that night, willing to stay in nice places when the urge strikes, have light weight gear etc. etc. I walk for the adventure, the challenge of covering a long distance often in adversity (a full day of pouring cold rain is tough...as is my penchant for missing the odd sign here and there), the opportunity to meet interesting people, see nice countryside and a way to visit to see a country from the viewpoint of someone just passing through slowly...and simply spend most of the day just walking...

Some lifelong friends have been made...had lunch with a Japanese fellow (LePuy route) in Tokyo while visiting family (his English was slightly better than my non existant Japanese), keep in touch with a young guy in France (LePuy and Frances routes) (jokingly he was to be a future son-in-law however this likely won't happen) and a long distance walker from Belgium (LePuy route).

I did not expect to walk another Camino however a friend from Brazil whom I met in Roncesvalles (he had spent a sleepless night...as we all did due to a champion snorer who would later become someone we considered a friend...asked my brother and I if he could join us) asked if I would join him walking from Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela. Why not...may never have another chance!

Look forward to the Camino Portuguese...from past experience I know one has to be somewhat lucky to stay healthy over 600 kms (had to leave my planned 100 day Camino through Switzerland, France and Spain in 2013 after 18 days due to medical emergency...had to split the walk over 3 time periods) however will be giving it my best shot.

Once again...thanks for the advice received...appreciated.

Guy

Bonjour Guy,

Pelgrim or not, walking the Camino is helping all of us taking a step back from our day to day life and really take the time to smell the flowers. I also wanted to share that I can relate to you in looking forward to your next Camino.
I am also leaving on March 10th. I am meeting friends in Faro and we will be walking Rota Vincentina, before the CP. The anticipation count back has already started.:D

Enjoy each moment and I will also, rain or shine, for sure!
Bom Caminho:)
Ghislaine

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wise Pilgrim guide, I used it last September on the Camino Portugues and was very happy with it. Buen Camino, SY

Is Wise Pilgrims available in Porto SY,
I will not use Brierely ,
have old credentials from previous years , this time going coastal and via Vigo
Cheers mate

Hey Guy, My wife and I used both the Brierley and the Confraternity Guides in 2015. We walked from Lisbon. Either one would be adequate. Route is well marked. We're not familiar with the Wise Pilgrim guidebook. We've used Brierley guides before on other routes and it was very adequate. You'll be fine whichever one you use. Bon Caminho.

Dayton and Karen.
Thinking of doing the Portuguese next year, This year I walked the Frances, ended up with just the Confraternity guide and a Michelin guide for the Frances , after Sarria, when I sent my maps by correos to Santiago !, everyone raves about the Brierley guide, I guess the main thing is that they are up to date, there were a fair few variants, on the French, the German guides seemed to mention them all, and had all the albergues, save the most recently opened ones,
How much road walking on the Portuguese, ?
Bill

Thinking of doing the Portuguese next year, This year I walked the Frances, ended up with just the Confraternity guide and a Michelin guide for the Frances , after Sarria, when I sent my maps by correos to Santiago !, everyone raves about the Brierley guide, I guess the main thing is that they are up to date, there were a fair few variants, on the French, the German guides seemed to mention them all, and had all the albergues, save the most recently opened ones,
Bill

Hi Bill. We walked from Lisbon. A little 'road' walking but it's all relative. Nothing dangerous that I can remember but a lot of hard packed paths that are very similar to walking on a road. I don't think there's any more road walking than on other Caminos. You'll enjoy it. Bon Caminho.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ok thanks, the planning has started, wee trip to Annapurna base camp in October first, then to decide on the best month to walk, thinking on July to get to Santiago on the 25th !
Bill

Bill
Lots. At least from Porto...

Guy, thank you for your post! Could very much relate to your approach "carry a guidebook, usually know where I will be staying in advance that night, willing to stay in nice places when the urge strikes" I also stood on the shoulders of those who went before me-- many of them here on this forum!

I'm curious about that 100-day camino you'd planned to do-- sounds fascinating! Any chance you could post a description / map / link? Much thanks :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back