• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CAMINO PORTUGUES

Una

I have just returned from a wonderful camino - Opporto to Santiago. :D
However, for the benefit of future pilgrims, I would request the Portugese Friends of the Camino to lobby
(1) to have footpaths built along the main roads that the pilgrims travel. The present level of danger involved in walking these roads is unacceptable.
(2) to have the albergue at Vilarhino closed or run properly. The condition of the albergue on our arrival was unfit for human habitation - broken beds, filthy matresses, washing area and toilet smelling of sewage, two bunk beds in the kitchen, the floor accommodation in the adjoining gym area was not to be recommended either due to cold and the presence of mosquitoes and rodents. Considering the condition of the place the provision of a visitors' book for comments was indeed surprising! One comment said "Any port in a storm!", a testament to the good humour and tolerance of the pilgrim!
Why not charge, have a part-time hospitalero and have the place cleaned.
(3) to allow pilgrims hang their clothes outside to dry in the municipal albergues in Galicia and to have clothes washing and drying facilities provided in the municipal albergue in Padron. Clothes that were hanging inside took two or three days to dry.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Una said:
I have just returned from a wonderful camino - Opporto to Santiago. :D
However, for the benefit of future pilgrims, I would request the Portugese Friends of the Camino to lobby
(1) to have footpaths built along the main roads that the pilgrims travel. The present level of danger involved in walking these roads is unacceptable.
(2) to have the albergue at Vilarhino closed or run properly. The condition of the albergue on our arrival was unfit for human habitation - broken beds, filthy matresses, washing area and toilet smelling of sewage, two bunk beds in the kitchen, the floor accommodation in the adjoining gym area was not to be recommended either due to cold and the presence of mosquitoes and rodents. Considering the condition of the place the provision of a visitors' book for comments was indeed surprising! One comment said "Any port in a storm!", a testament to the good humour and tolerance of the pilgrim!
Why not charge, have a part-time hospitalero and have the place cleaned.
(3) to allow pilgrims hang their clothes outside to dry in the municipal albergues in Galicia and to have clothes washing and drying facilities provided in the municipal albergue in Padron. Clothes that were hanging inside took two or three days to dry.

Yes Una, it is basic. There is a mop and bucket provided and the bucket can prop up that broken lower bunk. It's possible also to buy some bleach nearby and put it in the drains if they smell. I didnt find that they smelled, but it was November so that possibly helped.

I think it's kind of the local community to offer beds there for free; it's a shame that some don't respect it. It's reassuring to me that others in the pilgrim book were thankful for any port in a storm. There are beds, a cooker and it's weatherproof; I'm content with that. It would cost a small community quite a bit of money to provide heating. It's disappointing that you want to see this place closed. :idea: Here's a thought - would you consider fundraising for this refugio to provide cleaning materials for a year, say, a replacement for the broken bed and some paper mattress covers?

Footpaths alongside the road would be nice, but the Portugese people as you know are being eaten alive by bankers and financiers. Maybe paths aren't a high priority at the moment, because public works are being robbed to make profits for loan sharks. Despite the figures for road accidents there, I found every passing vehicle, without exception, manouvered safely. Maybe I was lucky.

I hope you have a better camino next time.....

Bom caminho....

Unfortunately I agree that the "albergue" in Vilarinho was a disaster, just a month ago. I can happily do "basic" but what I found was unacceptable. I'd walked out from Porto cathedral in pouring rain so didn't want to go further that day. Fortunately the lovely pharmacist knew of a family offering informal accomodation in the village, so I had an alternative. It was quite a hard start to what was otherwise a great camino - things got better!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,

The situation of "Caminho Portugues" before Vilarinho, that a very old fight with the Municipalities, and i think, we are loosing.

Regarding the "Refugio of Vilarinho " its not consider an Albergue for the reasons you have mentioned, they don´t have enough conditions. The objective of the village mayor is to provide the possible support for the "tired" peregrinos that are unable to reach another Village with allocations. We know that they are working to have a better place.

Unfortunately some peregrinos still think that Albergue/Refugios are hotels...

Ultreia,
Pedro

On my several Caminos, I came across one or two little places that were run down and dirty.
So I cleaned them.
It was the least I could do in order to have a roof over my head.

May I suggest you take a day,
buy some cleaning materials,
mop the floors,
swab it all down for the next pilgrims? :D

Do a little penance for your transgressions?

Maybe you could even figure a way to fix the bed or leave a note for the next pilgrim who has the skills to do so?

You could take the mattresses outside and beat the dust out?

What a wonderful thing that would be... :p

Pilgrims in the past slept in barns and doorways.
A roof is a good thing.
Nobody's mother lives there...

It's up to the Pilgrims themselves to keep the place up, in my opinion.
The fact that they are even providing a building is awesome!

It is, after all, a PILGRIMAGE, not a vacation! :wink:
Just my opinion.

albergue_de_rates said:
Hi,

The situation of "Caminho Portugues" before Vilarinho, that a very old fight with the Municipalities, and i think, we are loosing.

Regarding the "Refugio of Vilarinho " its not consider an Albergue for the reasons you have mentioned, they don´t have enough conditions. The objective of the village mayor is to provide the possible support for the "tired" peregrinos that are unable to reach another Village with allocations. We know that they are working to have a better place.

Unfortunately some peregrinos still think that Albergue/Refugios are hotels...

Ultreia,
Pedro

Thanks Pedro! Most of us are happy that Vilarhino is there - no problem....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Apart from one, the replies to my comments on the Portuguese Camino are certainly not in agreement with mine! :D I prefaced my comments by saying I had a wonderful camino and made the comments with a view to improving things for others in the future.
I was not a first time pilgrim and I do not expect the comfort of hotels, however, I still think the condition of Vilharino was apalling. I believe it was not left in this state by pilgrims. A German pilgrim was told by a local not to stay in it," that it had been used by addicts as a doss house".
Anniesantiago, we did buy cleaning materials and tried to improve on the state of the place but our efforts made very little impact due to how the place had been treated in the past. The mattresses were beyond beating the dust out of them!
I appreciate that the local people have made an effort to provide a refuge for pilgrims and that there are local and national problems to be taken into consideration but I still hold the view that it would be better to charge pilgrims and so be in a position to maintain the the place properly.

Una said:
I still hold the view that it would be better to charge pilgrims and so be in a position to maintain the the place properly.

Una, you're right to stick to what you think - no worries about differences of opinion. :D

You don't want to fundraise for this refugio, then?

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back