• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues

Judi Thomas

Time of past OR future Camino
2011 and 2015
I am planning to walk the Portuguese route in May. Has anyone any tips on the ratings of the albergues? Waiting my guide book with great anticipation. Is anyone else walking this route in May?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
May is a perfect time for the CP. You'll enjoy it.

What do you mean by ratings? If they are 2 star of 5 star albergues? ;) :)

I am planning to walk the Portuguese route in May. Has anyone any tips on the ratings of the albergues? Waiting my guide book with great anticipation. Is anyone else walking this route in May?
Where do you start ? Lisbon or Porto ?

Lisbon leg...Super hostal is Santarèm hostal in Santarèm 5 star !
Solo Duro in Gôlega
Albergue Hilario in Mealhada

On the Porto leg...
Albergue São Pedro de Rates
Hostal Pedro Furada between São Pedro de Rates and Barcelos.
Casa da Fernanda-the best 5star-in Vitorino de Piães between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima
Refuxío de la Jerezana in Cessantes just after Redondela
Albergue o Cruceiro in Caldas de Reis.

Bom caminho

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello, I am also walking the camino Portugues (from Porto), but the first 2 weeks of April. Are you starting from Porto or Lisbon?

this can be a good resource

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...portuguese-albergues-pensions-and-hostals.81/

these are links outlining places where i stayed. Albertino has a similar list on the same sub-forum.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-on-caminho-portuguese-w-images-part-i.27901/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...on-caminho-portuguese-w-images-part-ii.27903/

part III has mainly photos ...

bom caminho!
C

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Working backwards from Santiago....
Teo - fine wee place just a lovely distance from Santiago to make a short day with plenty of time to get compostela and take photos before the bells toll nine am. Great little restaurant up the road and over the bridge and turn left for dinner (don't go to the one just a little farther up the road on the right).
Herbon. Wonderful monastery with great tour and mass and communal dinner. Best night ever!
Arcade. Brand new (last year) albergue with The Most Amazing facilities. Good supermercado nearby.
Quinta Estrada Romana. Everyone talks about Casa Fernanda.....I can only assume they ahven't been here. We went to both and this one is just as good, just as unique in its own way. Communal dinner. The host (a quirky Canadian) even does your washing.
Ponte de Lima. Spacious. Plenty of room for us all to spread out and dry our gear! Great pilgrim's meal across the river.
Casa Fernanda. I'll add my rave to everyone else's although we had quite a different experience. (Communal dinner. But no singing - one of the guests collapsed and the party stopped)
Barcelos. Albergue has bunks so tightly spaced you won't believe it! But there's a massive supermercado nearby. And a cool painting on the courtyard wall.
Vairao. Monastery. Fabulous welcome. Well equipped kitchen. Rooms with few beds. Enthusiastic hospitalera. Tiny grocer up the road. (we took the coastal route to Vila Cha, then turned iland and when we met the real route opted for the variation as per the signage on the road)

Thanks all for the links etc. Starting in Porto. By ratings I just wanted a feel for which albergues folk had good experiences in. Take care everyone and maybe we'll bump into one another along the way. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Solo Duro in Gôlega

On the Porto leg...
Casa da Fernanda-the best 5star-in Vitorino de Piães between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima

Bom caminho
Forgot the mosteiro do Vairão ,close to the Porto airport if you decicd to start from there . From Porto easy accessable by metro to station Fórum Maia on the other (original ) way out of Porto to São Pedro de Rates.

In fact this is discussion with different meanings.
If you go for an economic caminho go for the albergues.
If you want a more comfortable caminho ,go for the hostals ,hotels casa ruraís and pousadas.
On the Portuguese you will not find many municipal albergues except for the Spanish part of the caminho. You can stay there for about 6€ per night
Most of the Portuguese albergues are donative which means you are expected to donate about 10€ for a bed.
If a meal and breakfast are included it is expected to donate around 20€.
Hostals are around 20 € per person per night ,sometimes a breakfast included.
Hotels are inbetween 30 to 50 € for an average 2 star hotel.
A casa rural (bed and breakfast) about 45 €
Pousadas differ in prices but specially in Spain they are up to 120€ Per night . They are located on special places or are very special buildings.

My daughter and I will be leaving from Porto mid-may

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Walking the route in June...will use the Brierly.
I walked in June last year - watch out for the heat, particularly in the early stages between Lisbon and Porto, some of which are quite long. Brierley guide is great, but significantly understates some stage distances. 100% endorse the other recommendations of Santarem Hostel. Have a great Camino.

We are a group of seven starting from Porto May 5. But we are having luggage transported and staying in hotels.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi What guidebook did you choose? I am doing Porto to Santiago in August.

Ditto about what guide book. I'll start in Lisbon last week of June.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is an updated Albergue list on http://albergues.vialusitana.org in Portuguese though. The english version is still not updated. Next week, hopefully.
BTW, there will be a new albergue just outside Lisboa, 20km from the Cathedral, in Alpriate. A (very) small house rented by the ViaLusitana association who is trying to have it in 'working order' by Easter. Only 12 places but with a fireplace and a barbecue at the backyard.

There is an updated Albergue list on http://albergues.vialusitana.org in Portuguese though. The english version is still not updated. Next week, hopefully.
BTW, there will be a new albergue just outside Lisboa, 20km from the Cathedral, in Alpriate. A (very) small house rented by the ViaLusitana association who is trying to have it in 'working order' by Easter. Only 12 places but with a fireplace and a barbecue at the backyard.

This is such great news -- I hope you will have a big announcement with pictures when it actually opens. Long live the ViaLusitana!!!!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

There are forum-produced "guidebooks" in the Resources section, one from Lisbon to Porto, one from Porto to Santiago, and one is a document designed to help people arrange stages in the first days out of Lisbon without having to walk 30 km if that's an issue for you. There is also a list of accommodations prepared by a forum member.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/categories/camino-portugues.40/

Love you Laurie !!
0b2.jpg

Hi! I've done the central one and I've been planning my camino with this site. www.urcamino.com
I'll try the interior one in june this year :)

Hope this will help you as it helped me :)

Love you Laurie !!
0b2.jpg

And when this albergue opens, it will eliminate one of the 30+ km days, so we'll have to revise the "How to walk short stages from Lisbon" document! :) By my calculations, it's about 20-21 kms from the Lisbon cathedral, making it a very do-able first day and giving you plenty of time to visit the Tile Museum as you walk through Lisbon and to enjoy the park and river walk at the Parque das Nacoes.

Oh how things have changed since I walked from Lisbon in 2009, it's really hard to believe! Bom Caminho, Laurie

My husband and I and 2 friends are starting from Porto at the beginning of May. First walking holiday for us but our friends are quite experienced walkers! We are so looking forward to this adventure!

My dad (74 this year) and myself will be walking in May this year! We have walked the French Camino in 2013 and 2014. A knee replacement for him last year deferred our CP until this year. Unsure where we will start - possibly Fatima!!! He loves a chat, so hopefully May will have enough pilgrims.

July is usually one of the hottest months and walk in Lisbon to Golegã will be difficult, no trees and no wind. Think that water is not an extra weight, will be essential. Supplies water whenever possible.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Judi,
I will be starting in Porto mid may. My first camino. I think I will start coastal and move inland based on this forum's comments. Hopefully we will connect.
Bom Caminho,
Kaz

We leave Porto on 15 April. Taking it easy and getting to Santiago on or about 7 May

There are forum-produced "guidebooks" in the Resources section, one from Lisbon to Porto, one from Porto to Santiago, and one is a document designed to help people arrange stages in the first days out of Lisbon without having to walk 30 km if that's an issue for you. There is also a list of accommodations prepared by a forum member.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/categories/camino-portugues.40/
Thank you Laurie, I dowmloaded the Lisbon one, very informative and nicely done.

July is usually one of the hottest months and walk in Lisbon to Golegã will be difficult, no trees and no wind. Think that water is not an extra weight, will be essential. Supplies water whenever possible.
I'm a teacher so I must make do with the holiday schedule. Will it be as hot as the Frances last year at he same time period?

I'm a teacher so I must make do with the holiday schedule. Will it be as hot as the Frances last year at he same time period?
don't know about the route across the Frances - but in my experience of summer time in portugal, it can be hot/warm and muggy and mucho mosquitos.
yet weather patterns are changing so much, who knows what one will encounter this year?!
the further north you'll walk, probably the less heat you'll experience.
bom caminho!

Maybe our beloved moderator Peregrina2000 can make a subforum so the experience of pilgrims who walked it can be shared.
I will have a look next May when we go to Cascais to camp and try to find out some more. Definitively it is on my bucketlist by now.
Thanks for the answers I got on my post
Oh oh, here I was, set on Porto Santiago in May. But muggy and lots of mosquitos? Say it ain't so!

LakeMcD mentioned and asked about walking in JULY - my reply was to that time-frame.
I enjoyed walking in May a lot - some hot days - between Lisboa and Barcelos - but i really enjoy it when it's warm/hot.
and i don't recall mosquitos in May - BUT ... on the coastal walk up from Porto to Vila do Conde on a mellow and sunny day, the most pesky tiny insects in big dark clouds swarmed around ones person. THAT was very unamusing.

I'm starting from Lisbon on 19th April - did the Frances last year which was amazing - looking forward to it.

Hmmm, mosquitoes or bed bugs - tough choice.;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Also doing Portuguese Camino in May from Porto. Just have to finalize dates. Hoping to meet you all somewhere along the Way!!

Solo Duro in Gôlega

On the Porto leg...

Bom caminho

Albertinho: I hope you can help me. I will be walking the Camino Portuguese in early April. I have made some accomodation bookings online before I depart. All say they provide clean sheets.

I walked the Camino Frances in May 2013 and definitely needed a sleeping bag. It was required at both private and municipal alburges. Even on the CF if the alburgue provided a sheet it was only a bottom sheet and the cleanliness was questionable.

I am rethinking and considering some of the alburgues you list above. My question is will I need to carry a sleeping bag to use any of the alburgues you recommend. I plan to walk from Tui to Santiago.

Thank you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Albertinho: I hope you can help me. I will be walking the Camino Portuguese in early April. I have made some accomodation bookings online before I depart. All say they provide clean sheets.

I walked the Camino Frances in May 2013 and definitely needed a sleeping bag. It was required at both private and municipal alburges. Even on the CF if the alburgue provided a sheet it was only a bottom sheet and the cleanliness was questionable.

I am rethinking and considering some of the alburgues you list above. My question is will I need to carry a sleeping bag to use any of the alburgues you recommend. I plan to walk from Tui to Santiago.

Thank you!
The albergues I mentioned all were privat albergues except the São Pedro de Rates one.
All had sheets and blankets. We only took a sleepingliner more for hygenic reasons
You never know who was sleeping underneath the blanket before you.
Which acommodations you allready booked ?

The albergues I mentioned all were privat albergues except the São Pedro de Rates one.
All had sheets and blankets. We only took a sleepingliner more for hygenic reasons
You never know who was sleeping underneath the blanket before you.
Which acommodations you allready booked ?

Hi Albertino. I have booked the following back in December. I was planning to look again and I may make some changes. I am open to suggestions.

I will be visiting Fatima and taking the bus to Valenca.

Accommodations:
Valenca - Hotel Val Flores
Porrino - Hostal Expo 22
Redondela - Hotel Santo Apostol
Pontevedra - Slow City Hostel
Caldas de Reis - Balneario Acuna (This one is expensive. I could use another suggestion.)
Padron - Hotel Chef Rivera

Thanks!

Hi Albertino. I have booked the following back in December. I was planning to look again and I may make some changes. I am open to suggestions.

I will be visiting Fatima and taking the bus to Valenca.

Accommodations:
Valenca - Hotel Val Flores
Porrino - Hostal Expo 22
Redondela - Hotel Santo Apostol
Pontevedra - Slow City Hostel
Caldas de Reis - Balneario Acuna (This one is expensive. I could use another suggestion.)
Padron - Hotel Chef Rivera

Thanks!
We stayed in Val Flores
In O Porriño in hotel Parque but did not like it Expensive and bad breakfast
In Redondela and Cessantes we stayed in the albergue and the refuxio de la Jerezana.
In Pontevedra we stayd in a hostal Maruja but last year we had a filthy room at the loft
Caldas de Reis. We had good experiences with o Cruceiro. It is a hotel but also an albergue. We paid the albergue price but got a nice double bed room for our own.
In Padron we stayed in hostal o Jardim. I could advice you to book that one as well.

In Santiago we once slept in la Salle. Hostal and albergue .
The other times we booked AIRBNB accommodations so we slept in privat houses as we did in Lisbon and Porto.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

That's great news. I'm planning to start my Camino in Lisbon around 19 April and was dreading an excessively long first day. Alpriate sounds like a great place to head for. Is there any way of booking ahead?

That's great news. I'm planning to start my Camino in Lisbon around 19 April and was dreading an excessively long first day. Alpriate sounds like a great place to head for. Is there any way of booking ahead?
Nope.
But there will be a place to you, don't worry.
Just in case, email the albergue about that, one or two days before :)
albergue.alpriate (at) vialusitana.org

Many thanks! May I also ask: is there a good camping/outdoor shop in Lisbon that sells backpacks? I'm looking for a 50 litre pack under 2 kgs which has a front-entry zip so it opens up fully. Is this kind of rucksack available in Lisbon?

Many thanks! May I also ask: is there a good camping/outdoor shop in Lisbon that sells backpacks? I'm looking for a 50 litre pack under 2 kgs which has a front-entry zip so it opens up fully. Is this kind of rucksack available in Lisbon?
There are some outdoor shops selling backpacks. Not very good stores though. I mean, there are some chain stores, Decathlon and Sport Zone, they tend to sell mainly their own brands. Affordable prices but not really state of the art stuff.
https://www.sportzone.pt/desporto/mais-desportos/campismo/mochilas
http://www.decathlon.pt/C-1464848-mochilas-de-caminhada-mais-de-50l

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My husband and I and 2 friends are starting from Porto at the beginning of May. First walking holiday for us but our friends are quite experienced walkers! We are so looking forward to this adventure!

Looks like we will be leaving Porto on the 29th April now...so looking forward to this experience!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back