• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lisbon -Porto- Santiago using coastal route is about 2-3 days more than inland route. Porto-Santiago coast well served with hostels and quite well signed. Be aware that the ferry across to Spain is closed on Mondays.
The friends you meet and walk will sort of set your rhythm, with some days finishing early, a party or visits to churches, castles and celtic hill forts.
Most guide books show the historical inland route but O' Luis do Freixo has some very good coastal maps and hostels/hotels on the internet.
So about 23 + rest days inland and say 26 + rest and fun days coastal route.
You are perhaps younger than my 70 plus years ? So take half a day from these figures!

Ok, thanks I start out the beginning of the month

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes I plan on starting in Lisbon on March 7 or 8, 2017 and continuing on to Santiago.
Perhaps we will meet up somewhere on the trip.

My best wishes to you Portuguese route walkers. I did this September last year and it is a wonderful route; it was fantastic. If you have time try to go to Fatima. I didn't as I was slower due to the heat at the time I was walking. I took the coastal route from Porto which is super. I swam in the sea as it was tempting but it was soooo cold. I also constantly went back down to the coast wherever an alternative was offered and I did a little beach walking. arriving in Spain I walked up over the hill to A Guarda which is a lovely town. I had heaps of time so I walked back around the coast to the ferry. Stunning route a mixture of wild coast and lovely beach. Once back at the ferry I was offered and took a ride in a truck carrying two noisey donkeys in the back. Stuttered my way through my almost nonexistent spainish and overwhelmed by kindness and patience.
I was walking alone and some days only saw other pilgrims at cafes and sites of interest on the way and in the evening although there actually was someone just ahead or just behind. I did walk with one or two people especially once I rejoined the central route at Redondala. Solitude was my choice.
I while walk every step with you in my heart!

My best wishes to you Portuguese route walkers. I did this September last year and it is a wonderful route; it was fantastic. If you have time try to go to Fatima. I didn't as I was slower due to the heat at the time I was walking. I took the coastal route from Porto which is super. I swam in the sea as it was tempting but it was soooo cold. I also constantly went back down to the coast wherever an alternative was offered and I did a little beach walking. arriving in Spain I walked up over the hill to A Guarda which is a lovely town. I had heaps of time so I walked back around the coast to the ferry. Stunning route a mixture of wild coast and lovely beach. Once back at the ferry I was offered and took a ride in a truck carrying two noisey donkeys in the back. Stuttered my way through my almost nonexistent spainish and overwhelmed by kindness and patience.
I was walking alone and some days only saw other pilgrims at cafes and sites of interest on the way and in the evening although there actually was someone just ahead or just behind. I did walk with one or two people especially once I rejoined the central route at Redondala. Solitude was my choice.
I while walk every step with you in my heart!
Thank you so much for info. I talked w/leader of group I was with last fall on Camino Frances and he didn't have anything good to say about the Portuguese. So happy to hear good things as I get frightened sometimes about going myself. A friend is doing another in Spain at the same time but feel it's important to do this one. Keep an open mind and be able to go with the flow of things. Allow for surprises.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Come and visit me for wifi, refreshments or accomodation in Vila Nova de Cerveira on the rio mino. Its a beautiful place and there are now miles of footpath from Viana to Valenca beside the coast and river. My house is on the camino 1 km west from Cerveira.

Actually do try to make the detour to Vila Nova de Cerveira. I unfortunately did not have the extra day that I would have required but I have rather regretted not being able to get there.
I am not sure why there is so much negative opinion for the Portuguese route. Tarmac and roads? The road walking is mostly on small country roads and lanes and some interesting little gems like the peek of the old roman road at the edge. There is almost always a pedestrian worn sandyntrack beside the Tarmac, the villages you pass through are lovely, the countryside ancient and dramatic, the people generally stunningly multilingual and invariably helpful and encouraging. Board walks along the coast are easy and pleasant walking and lots of pretty woodland paths. Isolated and lonely? I never felt that and regularly leapfrogged others on the way walking mostly one my own but with a couple of days with delightful company. My choice. But it is not as crowded as the Frances route and I rather hope it stays that little bit special.

Thank you! Do you have any recommendations on where to stay in Lisbon that is near the beginning of the Camino,close to the cathedral and offers private rooms ?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you! Do you have any recommendations on where to stay in Lisbon that is near the beginning of the Camino,close to the cathedral and offers private rooms ?
As I had previously walked the Hadrian's Wall Path in the UK before embarking on my Camino I stayed a couple of days in Hotel Metropole on Rosalia Square. Very reasonable rates, comfortable if a little tired by maintaining the olde worlde theme but very pleasant. Central and within walking distance of most that I wanted to see including the Cathedral (ten minutes or so while deciphering map). Cathedral staff really helpful and remember there is a new albergues just 20km. Construction work last year prevented my starting at exactly the first yellow arrow beside the cathedral but helpful construction worker walked me around to the next one. There is heaps of accomodation along the way and , as I am one of those people who wakes around 3am, I mainly chose to seek private rooms. Only once wasn't able to acquire this on the whole trip. Gosh I had fun! You are reminding me just how much I enjoyed myself now that I am back into the responsible grandmotherly role!

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back