• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues

cheryl mulder

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese camino from Oporto (May/June 2017)
Thinking of walking the Camino Portugues from Oporto in May and early June but am concerned it may be too quiet Would appreciate your advice

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A friend and I are walking from Lisbon starting early May. I've seen several posts from folks starting this Camino during that time frame. It will definitely be less well travelled than the Frances.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My experience has been that the Portuguese central route (through Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, Valenca, Tui, Redondela ....) is busier than the Portuguese Coastal Way (which runs through Vila do Conde, Esposende, Caminha, A Guarda Baiona, Vigo, Redondela .....). However neither of them were very busy in the first half of the walk - maybe half a dozen other pilgrims each day for the first half or so of each route. I did both of them in July.

On the central route the pilgrim traffic picked up significantly at Tui, as many Spanish pilgrims start there. Last summer, when I was on the Coastal Way, the route got fairly busy from Redondela onwards, as that is where the two routes meet.

I have not done the Frances, but from everything I have heard, it is significantly busier than the Portuguese. However, I believe that the Portuguese is the second busiest route after the Frances.

My experience has been that the Portuguese central route (through Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, Valenca, Tui, Redondela ....) is busier than the Portuguese Coastal Way (which runs through Vila do Conde, Esposende, Caminha, A Guarda Baiona, Vigo, Redondela .....). However neither of them were very busy in the first half of the walk - maybe half a dozen other pilgrims each day for the first half or so of each route. I did both of them in July.

On the central route the pilgrim traffic picked up significantly at Tui, as many Spanish pilgrims start there. Last summer, when I was on the Coastal Way, the route got fairly busy from Redondela onwards, as that is where the two routes meet.

I have not done the Frances, but from everything I have heard, it is significantly busier than the Portuguese. However, I believe that the Portuguese is the second busiest route after the Frances.

This is great to hear.
I am a first timer hoping to take the Portugese way in July/Aug 2017 and was considering the coastal route just because of the scenery.
Did you feel it was a bit too isolated and the central route would be better?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Did the coastal last July and only saw a few other peregrinos until Tui when more appeared. It's a great camino. Do it. If it's not right then do another.

This is great to hear.
I am a first timer hoping to take the Portugese way in July/Aug 2017 and was considering the coastal route just because of the scenery.
Did you feel it was a bit too isolated and the central route would be better?

I may not be the best person to ask that question, as I enjoy a bit of solitude when I am on the trail. But I actually do not think it is too isolated. It's not like you are in wilderness without seeing anyone for days on end. There will be other walkers plus all of the people in the towns and villages that you are passing through. I don't have any statistics to back this up, but I sense that the Portuguese routes, and the Coastal Way in particular, are continually getting more popular.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back