• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues

I am to fly from the UK into Vigo in Mid March for two weeks. I would like to do the Camino Finisterre and possibly Ingles so depending on research and advice I may travel away from Camino Portugues after a few days.
Firstly I assume I should get suitable guide books or just maps from the forum here. I take it the maps/guides will give accommodation advice. I will need somewhere in Vigo for a start.
Help would be appreciated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, are you starting your walk in Vigo? If so, you can find some maps here: http://www.caminador.es/ They are in Portuguese, but easy to read.
Jill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Wise Pilgrim apps for each Camino cost a couple of ££ each and are well worth having on your phone. There are maps, elevation profiles, information on every type of accommodation with contact details, number of beds, facilities and services, town information. As good as a paper guide book, if not better. Works offline, and is updated every so often.

Good information ,thank you.
I did intend to start at Vigo, but then I saw a suggestion to take a bus to Tui. Then I saw post Tiu can be rowdy, now I am not so sure how to start. I was guessing March would be quiet.

I am to fly from the UK into Vigo in Mid March for two weeks. I would like to do the Camino Finisterre and possibly Ingles so depending on research and advice I may travel away from Camino Portugues after a few days.
Firstly I assume I should get suitable guide books or just maps from the forum here. I take it the maps/guides will give accommodation advice. I will need somewhere in Vigo for a start.
Help would be appreciated.

Not sure if I understand your plans - you would like to walk to Finisterre and do the Inglés, and also teh Portugués from Vigo?

First of all, assuming you have not purchased your ticket yet, unless you are walking the Portugués, you probably would want to fly into Santiago or Coruña.

If you are walking the Portugués, and assuming again that you would like to request the Compostela, I am pretty sure you do not walk enough Kms by starting in Vigo.

Anyway, best of luck and Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you are walking the Portugués, and assuming again that you would like to request the Compostela, I am pretty sure you do not walk enough Kms by starting in Vigo.

Hi, Vigo to Santiago via the Variante Espiritual, including the boat from Vilanova de Arousa to Padrón, is 111kms, or about 136kms if one walked instead of taking the boat.

If one takes the boat a compostela is still granted, but one would probably have to walk 100kms plus the boat journey, so starting about 20kms before Vigo, in Ramallosa, to be on the safe side.
Jill

I'm planning on walking the last portion of the portuguese Camino at the end of April. I shall get off the train in Valenca and walk across the bridge to Tui. (120km approx to SdeC).

I did consider walking part of the coastal route from Vigo to Redondela - and according to my Brierley guide, it is 102.8km to Santiago. So you should be OK.

I'd love to do the Variante Espirituel, but don't have the time for the extra day needed on this trip. But next time, on a longer Camino, Senda Litoral from Porto, I shall include it.

By the way, which airport are you flying into Vigo from the UK? And which airline?

Hi, Vigo to Santiago via the Variante Espiritual, including the boat from Vilanova de Arousa to Padrón, is 111kms, or about 136kms if one walked instead of taking the boat.

If one takes the boat a compostela is still granted, but one would probably have to walk 100kms plus the boat journey, so starting about 20kms before Vigo, in Ramallosa, to be on the safe side.
Jill
Hi

We started our walk in Vigo and also walked the Variante Espiritual, including walking from Villanova de Arousa to Pontesecures - we estimated we walked about 130kms.

The Tourist Information office in the port area in Vigo were very helpful with maps and the route out of Vigo. We followed the Water Path, up in the hills overlooking Vigo and the harbour - lovely scenery! A most enjoyable first day from there to Cesantes. In fact, our whole 6 days from Vigo to Santiago de Compostela was amazing, especially the Variante Espiritual!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Jill
Hi Jill, this is what I'm planning to do rather than beginning in Tui. Im wondering how it went for you. Did you get your certificate? Did you begin in Ramallosa? Thank you Kindly

Hi Jill, this is what I'm planning to do rather than beginning in Tui. Im wondering how it went for you. Did you get your certificate? Did you begin in Ramallosa? Thank you Kindly

Hi Limah, you will be fine getting your compostela by starting in Ramallosa :).
Jill

Hi Limah, you will be fine getting your compostela by starting in Ramallosa :).
Jill
Hi Jill,

I want to take the Spiritual Way have limited time as I want to walk to Muxia thereafter. I saw something you posted earlier. Did you do this walk already and did they give you a certificate?

Vigo to Redondela, 16kms
Redondela to Pontevedra, 20kms
Pontevedra to Armenteira, 24.5kms
Armenteira to Vila Nova de Arousa, 23.5kms
VN de Arousa to Padron (by boat), 2kms
Padron to Milladoiro, 18kms
Milladoiro to Santiago, 7kms

Thank you so much for your help. My trip is approaching :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back