• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese 1st time walker - Misc Qs

Grace CYS

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Camino in April 2017 - completed
Hello everyone

I'll be flying to Lisbon, then walking from Porto (for 2 wks) in April, (doing the Central route via Ponte de Lima).

Just wondering -
  • How safe is the route for a solo traveller? I've noted the emergency numbers (351) 915 595 213.
  • Whether Lisbon Customs will allow flight passengers to bring in dried snack packs (for the Camino)?
  • What is the weather like in northern Portugal in April? I've been checking the latest forecast and was surprised by how warm it could get (low 20's recently)
  • If there is a good translation apps for tourists (Portuguese / Spainish to English)?
  • Can I get a SIM Card that can be used in both Portugal and Spain? I'll be buying Vodaone.
  • I'll be flying from SdC to Lisbon with Iberia with only hand carry allowance (which I think is around 8-10kg). I tried looking up Iberia airline but only got the measurement of the hand carry not the kg allowance. Has anyone flown with Iberia airline? How strict is their hand carry policy?
If you could only answer one question, it'd be most appreciated. Thanking you in advance:)

Grace

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
1) I've walked it with my family - and would gladly walk it alone.

2) They've never been interested in anything I bring, and I fly to Lisbon 3-4 times a year.

3) Fairly hot, can be rainy.

Re Iberia: They're generally informal about things like that, but I make no promises!

Safety - I never felt any unease at any point between Porto and Santiago. Mostly rural walking.

Weather - be prepared for wet weather. Can crop up anytime. Otherwise likely to be pleasantly warm rather than hot. Here is an overview of the annual statistics for temperature and rainfall:
https://www.yr.no/place/Portugal/Porto/Porto/statistics.html

Google Translate is pretty good and free. You can download language packs for a limited range of translations even if you have no wifi or phone signal. Huge range of languages including Spanish, Portuguese and Galician.

Any of the Portuguese mobile networks will provide a SIM that also works in Spain. If you buy a calls/data/text package that is probably going to be specific to Portugal but you can make calls and use data in Spain with a Portuguese SIM and vice versa using the normal credit you buy. There is a price cap on international roaming charges within the EU so it should not be hugely expensive to use your Portuguese SIM in Spain.

I've flown a couple of times with Iberia. If the bag fits within the size guidelines and you are not obviously struggling to lift it no-one has questioned its weight.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Unless you are planning to make a large number of phone check with your cell phone provider to see what their international plan offers. I am with Sprint and they offer a global roaming plan that offers free data and texts, and phone calls are 20 cents a minute. I believe T-mobile has a similar allowance. In several trips to Europe I find this works out much cheaper than getting a sim card.

Hello everyone

I'll be flying to Lisbon, then walking from Porto (for 2 wks) in April, (doing the Central route via Ponte de Lima).

Just wondering -
  • How safe is the route for a solo traveller? I've noted the emergency numbers (351) 915 595 213.
  • Whether Lisbon Customs will allow flight passengers to bring in dried snack packs (for the Camino)?
  • What is the weather like in northern Portugal in April? I've been checking the latest forecast and was surprised by how warm it could get (low 20's recently)
  • If there is a good translation apps for tourists (Portuguese / Spainish to English)?
  • Can I get a SIM Card that can be used in both Portugal and Spain? I'll be buying Vodaone.
  • I'll be flying from SdC to Lisbon with Iberia with only hand carry allowance (which I think is around 8-10kg). I tried looking up Iberia airline but only got the measurement of the hand carry not the kg allowance. Has anyone flown with Iberia airline? How strict is their hand carry policy?
If you could only answer one question, it'd be most appreciated. Thanking you in advance:)

Grace
Hi Grace, i felt very safe walking the CP. Take the usual precautions you would travelling anywhere. There will be other pilgrims walking at the same time which can give a sense of safety and local people are, by and large, very kind and helpful. I'm not sure about your emergency number. The standard one across Europe is 112.
I live on an Atlantic West Coast and am used to very changeable sometimes quite wet weather- could also be warm, prepare for everything!
Have a great Camino Adventure.

Can't help you with an app but most people I met in Portugal spoke some English - far more people than in Spain. I wouldn't worry too much about language issues on the Portuguese part.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you everyone for your kind & detailed replies which answered all my Qs. I now feel ready & excited for this spiritual journey of a lifetime.

Grace

P.S. You're right - the emergency number is 112, the number I quoted is the pilgrim helpline, Via Lusitana (Santiago Portuguese Association).

Hello everyone

Just wondering -

Grace
salu Grace -
lucky you - beata te'!
walked alone in May - and 99.5% of the time i felt very at ease (with the good dose of common sense of course) - and that is MUCH safer than i feel walking the local streets here where i work and live.
the only bit i've ever heard regarding custom hic-ups was from a friend who brought with her a small bag of white powder: her magnesium supplement - to be dissolved in water. As i recall: they took that from her (happened in Feb 2012) .
bought a vodaphone SIM card in Lisboa - for 11 Euros or so (May 2014) which worked just fine on my unlocked Nokia phone. was easy to find places along the way to 'top it off' - barely used the phone, just for texting sometimes. From spain worked just fine as well.
Weather? anyones guess these days. In May 2014 we had all sorts of weather, except hail. From scorching heat to 'a wee bit damp' (aka pouring rain for days... more towards galicia that was)
dressing in layers is always wise .... and you can buy items on the way if needed. I kept losing my woolen sweaters/cardigans :-(
take your time - have a rest day - very best wishes - c

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back