• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese Advise

WalkingGeo

Sept/Oct 2016
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2016 Frances
August 2018 CP - Lisbon to SDdC
Hi All,

It's funny, I walked the Frances Route With my son last September and as we left Santiago in the Jet to start our journey home, I remember saying to myself "Boy, I'm glad that's behind me!" Now, I find myself being pulled back, almost as though I haven't finished what I needed to complete or unfulfilled. So in my need to find what I didn't find or complete the unfinished, I'm planning to hit the Camino again this year. I was thinking of starting from Lisbon in late August and maybe taking the coastal route when I get to Porto then up to Santiago and on to Finisterre. I was wondering if anyone could make any good recomdations for Albergues or tips they want to share.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Another one hooked! Welcome back to the world of the Camino. Have a browse through the threads in the Camino Portuguese section. Lots of advice there.

Hi All,

It's funny, I walked the Frances Route With my son last September and as we left Santiago in the Jet to start our journey home, I remember saying to myself "Boy, I'm glad that's behind me!" Now, I find myself being pulled back, almost as though I haven't finished what I needed to complete or unfulfilled. So in my need to find what I didn't find or complete the unfinished, I'm planning to hit the Camino again this year. I was thinking of starting from Lisbon in late August and maybe taking the coastal route when I get to Porto then up to Santiago and on to Finisterre. I was wondering if anyone could make any good recomdations for Albergues or tips they want to share.

i would think hard about doing the lisbon to porto bit - some nice bits to be sure, but a lot of tarmac and dodging traffic and little shade in the hot months. from porto onwards its lovely.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Welcome to the forum, WalkingGeo, Kanga's right that there is a lot of good information on the forum already. Take a look at our little Lisbon-Porto forum guide, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-portugués-lisbon-porto-2017.517/

There is a longstanding debate about the Lisbon-Porto stretch. When I walked it in 2008, it was virtually all asphalt and there were no albergues. That has changed dramatically. There is now an albergue 20 km from the Lisbon cathedral in Alpriate, which is a great place to meet up with the others who will be sharing this caminho with you. There are now many albergues before Porto, and the guide lists most of them. I just recently posted about a new one in Rabacal, another great development.

I think Maggie's blog is a great introduction to the Caminho from Lisbon, check it out here: https://magwood.me/my-caminos/camino-portuguese/.

As far as the asphalt goes, there have been a lot of efforts by the Via Lusitana (Lisbon's Camino Amigos group) to re-route and keep the pilgrims off the road. Just a few days ago, I met a Danish pilgrim who had started in Lisbon. He was more than halfway to Porto, and he said there wasn't much asphalt. But I know that our memories play tricks -- when you are having fun and enjoying it, you probably remember the negative things less.

If you have specific questions after reading through some of the very helpful threads already here, please ask away -- we are a very congenial bunch! Bom caminho, Laurie

Welcome @WalkingGeo
I walked from Porto to SdC last November and loved every day. You can see most of my trip here www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/central-route-i-think.44332/ (It is not finished....)
I spent a few days in Lisbon since and when I saw that first yellow arrow on the wall of the Cathedral was very tempted to start walking, but cannot tell you anything of the Lisbon-Porto stretch.
You may well take a rest break in Porto. It is a fantastic, compact, historic, bustling city with plenty to see on both sides of the river. I didn't stay in albergue there but in Best Guest Porto Hostel (you will find it on Booking.com) and this was, without competition, the best hostel I have ever stayed in anywhere. Clean and friendly, very central, coffee and tea on tap. Great kitchen.
The campsite at Angeiras (first day out of Porto along the coast) excellent and excellent value. You get a wooden chalet.
Other standout albergue was Portela see #36 on above (my) thread.
But really there was no bad night along the way and no bad day's walking. I would happily do it again starting tomorrow!
One last recommendation - the very chic modern vegetarian cafe almost in the shadow of the cathedral in Tui ideas-peregrinas.com For breakfast, lunch, supper whatever. They were due to open some beds this year. I'm sure it would be excellent to stay there and the municipal in Tui was the only really disappointing place I stayed along the way. Although the facilities were fine it was not the warmest of welcomes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, I can recommend the following places to stay when there are no albergues:
In Ansiao: Adega Tipica
After Mealhada: Albergue Hilario
In Agueda: Hotel Ribeirinho
In Albergaria-a-Velha: Casa Alameda
In Sao Joao da Madeira: Solar Sao Joao
In Porto: Gallery Hostel
In Angeiras: Orbitur bungalow
In Povoa de Varzim: Sardines & Friends Hostel
In Esposende: Hotel Mira Rio
Bom caminho!
Jill

The best advice I have for you is to just do it! I absolutely loved walking Porto to Santiago last September. The people, the food, the coast, everything was perfect other than after walking the Francés there seemed to be very few churches. I also really enjoyed Lisbon and Porto.

Bom Caminho!

Thank you all for your comments and insights. Much appreciated....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Carefull with the road between Lisbon and Porto. Lot's of tarmac and less than carefull drivers.

Try finding the ways for Fatima, then follow those North, away from Fatima. Might be safer and have less trafic.

Bom Caminho!

Welcome @WalkingGeo
I walked from Porto to SdC last November and loved every day. You can see most of my trip here www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/central-route-i-think.44332/ (It is not finished....)
I spent a few days in Lisbon since and when I saw that first yellow arrow on the wall of the Cathedral was very tempted to start walking, but cannot tell you anything of the Lisbon-Porto stretch.
You may well take a rest break in Porto. It is a fantastic, compact, historic, bustling city with plenty to see on both sides of the river. I didn't stay in albergue there but in Best Guest Porto Hostel (you will find it on Booking.com) and this was, without competition, the best hostel I have ever stayed in anywhere. Clean and friendly, very central, coffee and tea on tap. Great kitchen.
The campsite at Angeiras (first day out of Porto along the coast) excellent and excellent value. You get a wooden chalet.
Other standout albergue was Portela see #36 on above (my) thread.
But really there was no bad night along the way and no bad day's walking. I would happily do it again starting tomorrow!
One last recommendation - the very chic modern vegetarian cafe almost in the shadow of the cathedral in Tui ideas-peregrinas.com For breakfast, lunch, supper whatever. They were due to open some beds this year. I'm sure it would be excellent to stay there and the municipal in Tui was the only really disappointing place I stayed along the way. Although the facilities were fine it was not the warmest of welcomes.

Thank you! I can't wait!

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back