• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Camino Portuguese Coastal Route - Tips & Tricks 🚶🏼‍♀️

KirstyNotKristy

Time of past OR future Camino
Coastal Portuguese Camino starting June 4th 2022
Hi fellow pilgrims,
I’m currently on day 3 of my Camino Portuguese Coastal Route. It’s been a rollercoaster 😅

I would some advices on a few matter :

🏨 What’s your favourite accommodation along the way ?

🐚 Where do you get stamps? I found them everywhere on my first day on the route I was walking but now it’s getting difficult and rare. Any special stamps either the location or the actual stamp not to miss ?

🤔 Should I switch to the central route, stick to the coastal? Is it longer/shorter to do so?

Will probably ask more as I go !

Abrigado and bon camino ! 💛

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Depends where you are now. If you are past Vila do Conde , you first can switch to the Central in Caminha and you miss the best albergue of the Caminho Português , Casa da Fernanda in Vitorino de Piães.
If not , there is a possibility to stay there.
If you want to , let me know where you are and when you expect to be there and I can app them if they can reserve a bed for you. Send me a p.m. if…

Attachments

• B917E67A-63B7-4269-AEF5-6FDFE25FD5AB.jpeg
    B917E67A-63B7-4269-AEF5-6FDFE25FD5AB.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 83
Hi fellow pilgrims,
I’m currently on day 3 of my Camino Portuguese Coastal Route. It’s been a rollercoaster 😅

🐚 Where do you get stamps? I found them everywhere on my first day on the route I was walking but now it’s getting difficult and rare. Any special stamps either the location or the actual stamp not to miss ?

🤔 Should I switch to the central route, stick to the coastal? Is it longer/shorter to do so?

If you switch from Coastal to Central in Vilad do Conde, stop at the albergue of São Pedro de Rates. They have a nice bicoloured stamp

when you arrive in Barcelos by the medieval bridge, you face the ruines of medieval medieval castle go into the castle and search for the person who is in charge for the castle. he will walk around outside somewhere. He has a very special stamp for your credential. Not everybody knows this. i have one .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The coastal is you cross the river at Caminha to Aguarda and on to Baiona, this is longer than the central
the coastal is 280 kms from Porto, the central 240 kms. Switching either in Vila do Conde or Caminha is 240 kms Originally from the computer of the Pilgrims Office
the Variante Espiritual does not count . This one will not be mentioned on the certificate of distance

Depends where you are now. If you are past Vila do Conde , you first can switch to the Central in Caminha and you miss the best albergue of the Caminho Português , Casa da Fernanda in Vitorino de Piães.
If not , there is a possibility to stay there.
If you want to , let me know where you are and when you expect to be there and I can app them if they can reserve a bed for you. Send me a p.m. if…
Thanks I’m currently in Fao and will most likely switch in Caminha as I understand it’s the only option, are you doing the Camino Central currently ? ☺️

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Caminho 5 times , once from Lisbon. The others from Porto

You could take a bus from Esposende or Viana do Castelo to Barcelos (from Esposende) or to Balugães from Viana do Castelo and walk from there to Casa da Fernanda( 3 kms from there)
If you want that let me know and I ask Fernanda if she still has a bed available

Last edited:
The coastal is you cross the river at Caminha to Aguarda and on to Baiona, this is longer than the central
the coastal is 280 kms from Porto, the central 240 kms. Switching either in Vila do Conde or Caminha is 240 kms Originally from the computer of the Pilgrims Office
the Variante Espiritual does not count . This one will not be mentioned on the certificate of distance
I am walking the valiente in July. What do you mean “it does not count”? We are starting in Tui and walking to Santiago via Variante route. Will we be able to enter stamps? Will we be able to receive our certificate?

I am walking the valiente in July. What do you mean “it does not count”? We are starting in Tui and walking to Santiago via Variante route. Will we be able to enter stamps? Will we be able to receive our certificate?
Yes it does count as we have just done it, walked from O Porino via the Variante Spiritual and received our Compostela and got at least 2 stamps each day.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the Variante and arrived in Santiago two days ago. I have my Compostela and a Certificate of Distance which certainly includes every km walked on the Variante (but not of course the boat journey!)

It was a simply wonderful journey. Enjoy it!

Meaning it does not count means you get no extra distance in your Compostela..I completed the entire distance last Wednesday 01 June 2022 ( tough as nails and beyond Lisboa to Porto ) started 29 April 2022 at Lisboa to SdeC ( also walked to Matasinhos and then back on the Portuguese Central, turned left at Pontevedra and got the air out of my lungs getting to Altmeira on the Espiritual and from VilaNova the boat which was amazing - got my carimbos in Portugal- sellos in España) total ascents added up to 11000 metres and descents around 10700 metres.. in conclusion I got my Compostela for a straight distance of 638km at Santiago ( I was recording every step including strolling in the villages which of course we all do in the evenings - I totalled 1,118,741 steps equating to 783km - my stride averages 0.70m)
Best of Luck ! Bon Caminho - Buen Camino - Ultreia - Go Further-Go Higher- Keep Walking
Captain Bonnie

Sorry, but Abertinho's info is incorrect. We just finished the same Camino last week. Starting in Tui and taking the Spiritual Variant. You need two stamps per day that are very easy to obtain-- and yes you will get your Compostela AND your Certificate of Distance. Happy to answer any questions about this route if you want to send me an IM. Buen Camino! Loved this path!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the Variante and arrived in Santiago two days ago. I have my Compostela and a Certificate of Distance which certainly includes every km walked on the Variante (but not of course the boat journey!)

It was a simply wonderful journey. Enjoy it!
How many kilometer they noted on your distance certificate ?

I wrote out about 1000 Compostelas and Distancias as they call it at the Pilgrims Office and they only have three distances from Porto
A the coastal via A Guarda and Baiona 280 km
B the central by Tui and Caldas de Reis 240 kms and C a mix from the coastal and the central 260 kms.

Maybe you have asked them to mention the Variante Espiritual which I did when I got one request one time
The computersysem does not acknowldge the Variante

It is the same when somebody started in Metz in France or Palma de Mallorca
Then we ask. “ what do you think yourself ? In case of Metz the pilgrim thought it was 2200 kms
In case from Mallorca is was a short distance on the island to the ferry and the rest of the distance we could find back on the computer in the camino De Levante and some others. We needed a calculator .

Last edited:
Hi fellow pilgrims,

My advice to you is stop projecting about which albergue or hostel to sleep in, who has a nice stamp etc.
Just stay in the moment. All you have is the step you are taking at that moment. The last step is passed and who knows what a future step will bring. Enjoy, see the ocean, listen to the waves and the birds and enjoy the sun or the rain or the wind hitting your face. Buen Camino

Yes when you start in Tui (or Vigo) it is over 100 kms in a straight line via Caldas de Reis to Santiago
If you start in Redondela or even Pontevedra via de Variante you do not get a Compostela
So they count the straight distance from Tui (= 100+ kms) so you get your compostela ( 2 stamps a day is obliged)
But when you are at the Pilgrims Office, mention that you walked the Variante and if one of the clerks will do, he or she adds I thought 55 kms to the 110 or so from Tui to your certificate of distance so approx 165kms
And ask him or her to mention the Variante Espirtual on the document too.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How many kilometer they noted on your distance certificate ?

I wrote out about 10000 Compostelas and Distancias as they call it at the Pilgrims Office and they only have three distances from Porto
A the coastal via A Guarda and Baiona 280 km
B the central by Tui and Caldas de Reis 240 kms and C a mix from the coastal and the central 260 kms.

Maybe you have asked them to mention the Variante Espiritual which I did when I got one request one time
The computersysem does not recognize the Variante

It is the same when somebody started in Metz in France or Palma de Mallorca
Then we ask. “ what do you think yourself ? In case of Metz the pilgrim thought it was 2200 kms
In case from Mallorca is was a short distance on the island to the ferry and the rest of the distance we could find back on the computer in the camino De Levante and some others. We needed a calculator .
My certificate of distance starting in Tui and taking the Spiritual Variante and the boat states: 119k. I finished two weeks ago. Hope this helps.

Yes it does count as we have just done it, walked from O Porino via the Variante Spiritual and received our Compostela and got at least 2 stamps each day.
Tell me what they noted on your Distancia and I can explain how it works !

Obviously some people feel offended but that is not my intention !

I try to explain the strict rules of the Pilgrims Office where I was volunteer last March and April .
Here is mine , I walked in 2013 from Lisbon on the Central caminho and due to the originally recorded distance by the Cathedral of Santiago in all computers in the Pilgrims Office it is 655 kms from the Cathedral in Lisbon to the Praza de Obradoiro in front of de Cathedral in Santiago . So they gave me this Distancia
And we did some detours to but they do not want to find this all out - costs to much time with 1000 pilgrims per day appearing , so they say Lisbon to Santiago is 655 kms period.
And the Variante is seen as a detour and they only look at where you started . not what you have walked. From Tui to Santiago is 105 km period. From Porto Central caminho is 240 km. Period. The coastal from Porto via Baiona is 280 kms period

If you started in Pontevedra it is about 58 kms to Santiago via Caldas de Reis
So no Compostela is been given then even not if you add the 55 kms of the Variante ( I thought) from Pontevedra to Vila Nova de Arousa
because the recognized distance from Pontevedra via Caldas de Reis is not enough for a Compostela.

So from Valença , Tui or So Porriño it is okay That is 100 kms from O Porriño to Santiago and enough for a Compostela . Also on the coastal via Baiona , Vigo is 101 kms in straight line via Caldas de Reis to Santiago

But now it comes… you are at the desk in the Pilgrims office they ask you “ do you want a certificate of Distance ? Yes please , you want. .
3 € please and 2 € for a tube to protect your documents back home in your backpack if you like. You can pay at the till as soon as I have written out your documents.

Than they ask you where did you start?
In Tui you say. Okay. Let’s look in the computer… yes here it is …105 kms
Ho ho you say. That is not true because my stepcounter says it is 108 kms and I did the Variante 55 kms ) so 163 kms
No … it is105 kms here in the computer .
I had this discussion many times …

But if you ask the clerk to write down that you started in Tui and walked the Variante too they are happy to write it down 160 kms for you
( Tui 105 kms + Variante 55 kms)
So no worries but you have to mention it yourself because the clerk does not do it
They have not time to check your credential where you have been everywhere.

So concluded
A) the Compostela( free of charge) you get when you walked from a place that officialy by the Cathedral of Santiago has been acknowledged as a minimum of 100 kms and you collected 2 stamps per day from that place.

B ) the Distancia. If you agree paying 3 €
You get a distancia from where you started e.g . from Tui is 105 kms due to the computer
But ho ho Albertinho I also did the Variante too ! okay if you want to , I add the Variante too .
So your text will be : started from Tui via the Variante Espiritual is 160 kms

Or the Coastal from Porto via Baiona and the Variante Espiritual is (280 + 55) 335 kms

That’s it but mention it or ask it.

Hope this clears and maybe meanwhile since I am back home they added the Varante in the computer . Not when I was there bur I will ask a former collegue who is still working there and I will come back here with his answer

Bom caminho

Attachments

• 5F4E8F1B-C5D9-40DA-A37F-98A10D006D6A.jpeg
    5F4E8F1B-C5D9-40DA-A37F-98A10D006D6A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 67
My certificate of distance starting in Tui and taking the Spiritual Variante and the boat states: 119k. I finished two weeks ago. Hope this helps.
HereI am back

I checked it My former collegue who is working there over more than six months confirms what I allready mentioned
“ the Variante Espiritual del camino Portugues is NOT acknowledged by the Cathedral of Santiago ( aka the Pilgrims Office)
So whether you walked the Variante or not and you started in Tui , the distance in kms is 105 kms ( I do not know by now the real Cathedral distance but it is more as an example) so your Distancia is 105 kms .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
HereI am back

I checked it My former collegue who is working there over more than six months confirms what I allready mentioned
“ the Variante Espiritual del camino Portugues is NOT acknowledged by the Cathedral of Santiago ( aka the Pilgrims Office)
So whether you walked the Variante or not and you started in Tui , the distance in kms is 105 kms ( I do not know by now the real Cathedral distance but it is more as an example) so your Distancia is 105 kms .
Nevertheless the Variante is a beautifull walk so enjoy your caminho and a Distancia is just a piece of paper
The memories keep in your mind. Not in a piece of paper 😊

Hi fellow pilgrims,

Hi. AlbergueAlbor in Caldas de rei give a wonderful Wax stamp. We also came across a few places that provided wonderful stamps when we walked from Caminha over to Valenca rather than staying on the coastal route. This also made it shorter. Again depends on where you are as there is a crossing around Vila do conde. From Valenca to Santiago is 5 stages. Many pilgrims walked the river from Caminha to Valenca and there is an Albergue 4kms outside Caminha if needed to shorten the day. My favourite day was walking to Caldas de rei as there is a beautiful waterfalls that is described on gronze mid route. I had my lunch there and in Caldas there are also hotsprings and more waterfalls. Buen Camino Daniel

Meaning it does not count means you get no extra distance in your Compostela..I completed the entire distance last Wednesday 01 June 2022 ( tough as nails and beyond Lisboa to Porto ) started 29 April 2022 at Lisboa to SdeC ( also walked to Matasinhos and then back on the Portuguese Central, turned left at Pontevedra and got the air out of my lungs getting to Altmeira on the Espiritual and from VilaNova the boat which was amazing - got my carimbos in Portugal- sellos in España) total ascents added up to 11000 metres and descents around 10700 metres.. in conclusion I got my Compostela for a straight distance of 638km at Santiago ( I was recording every step including strolling in the villages which of course we all do in the evenings - I totalled 1,118,741 steps equating to 783km - my stride averages 0.70m)
Best of Luck ! Bon Caminho - Buen Camino - Ultreia - Go Further-Go Higher- Keep Walking
Captain Bonnie
first of all congrats l you did a great walk On the Compostela there are no kms mentioned just that you acomplished your caminho and only the last 100 kms by walking, 200 kms by biking count and you have to show two stamps a day for those last 100/200 kms.

the Certificate of Distance is something else and if
you should have met me when Inwas behind the desk at the Pilgrims Office I should have checked your credential , took my calculator and counted all your kms and mentioned by handwriting on the Distancia that you had walked from Lisbon on the Central Route, the Costal and the Variante Espiritual.
The Cathedral says your caminho from Lisboa is 755 kms long ( see my picture of tmy Distancia from Lisbon only on the central route in 2013
the detour to Matosinhos and Vila do Conde is 28 kms plus and for the Variante is no km because it is not acknnowledge . So your Distancia is correct

Attachments

• 579D1872-73C7-4546-AB66-0838A94D1A90.jpeg
    579D1872-73C7-4546-AB66-0838A94D1A90.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 56
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hmm you did not sleep well ?
let this lady ask what she wants. It is a free forum for everybody and she is free to ask and share experiences and she is happily enthousiastic about her caminho .Maybe you are not willing to answer and that is your right but let her be happy. Thank you.
you are so so welcome. I sleep just fine except when I have really spicy foods then sometimes my wife makes me sleep on the sofa.

I travelled Vigo to SdC taking the spiritual variant and it was explicitly stated that it would qualify for the Compostela, even taking the boat. This was last November and there was no problem.

I travelled Vigo to SdC taking the spiritual variant and it was explicitly stated that it would qualify for the Compostela, even taking the boat. This was last November and there was no problem.
Well if you have read my story well that if you walk from Vigo , you will meet the requirement that you have walked the last 100 kms -and as I remember well, Vigo is 101 kms - and you obtained 2 stamps a day during these last 100 kms, you will get your Compostela. And if you have bought the certificate of Distance for 3€ , you will see that the clerk wrote down on that certificate that you started in Vigo and the distance you walked is 101 kms and that means that the Variante Espiritual not is acknowledged by the Cathedral.
Your walk was qualified because you walked 101 kms from Vigo to Santiago

If you had started in Pontevedra what some do because they think that the Variante qualifies, you should have experienced that the Compostela should have been refused to you Because Pontevedra to Santiago is 58 kms as part from the Caminho Português Central and the variante is not a part of the central caminho.

I am sorry that it is what it is
These are the rules of the Cathedral of Santiago aka the Pilgrims Office.
I haven’t made these rules

So if you intend to walk the Variante, be aware that you start far enough from Santiago that the regular distance to Santiago without the Variante is 100 kms
So, O Porriño or Vigo will do or Sarria on the Camino Francès or Ferrol on the Camino Inglès.

as a volunteer I only applied the rules and am now the messenger of this not so nice news for some . but I think the Variante is a beautiful route that I also walked myself and enjoyed it and I assume you enjoyed it too. And I think that's the most important thing and a number on paper is just a number. Who cares .you still have the pictures and proudly can tell everybody that you walked from Vigo by the spiritual way to Santiago and that deserves respect 😊
Bom caminho

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @KirstyNotKristy
We walked the Litoral to Caminha in May. Lovely walk, but we did a couple of slight detours you may want to consider.

Just North of FAO is Parque Natural do Norte. A beautiful boardwalk walk takes you along the Cavado river to the bridge into Esposende. Appreciate, you may be past this point now if you were in FAO on Tuesday.

Secondly, just before Caminha, there is a forest walk North of Fontela that brings you out onto Praia Foz do Minho, a beautiful beach on the river Minho. (Couple of pics attached) A curving path follows the Minho into Caminha. Much better than walking along the N13.

Have a great journey.

Attachments

• IMG_20220513_122139440.jpg
    IMG_20220513_122139440.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20220513_131025199.jpg
    IMG_20220513_131025199.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 36
Remember this beach at the Minho river just outside Caminha where the ecopista path starts in the direction of Vila Nova de Cerveira and Valença.
the mountain in the background is just outside A Guarda Spain that you will pass after crossing the river from Caminha and continuing the Coastal to Santa Maria de Oia, Mougas, Baiona and Vigo.

Attachments

• F10914F4-0027-40BA-86E1-B565EAF990D0.jpeg
    F10914F4-0027-40BA-86E1-B565EAF990D0.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 29
  • 63E70831-0DD9-4588-A491-6E53146DB0B6.jpeg
    63E70831-0DD9-4588-A491-6E53146DB0B6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
Remember this beach at the Minho river just outside Caminha where the ecopista path starts in the direction of Vila Nova de Cerveira and Valença.
the mountain in the background is just outside A Guarda Spain that you will pass after crossing the river from Caminha and continuing the Coastal to Santa Maria de Oia, Mougas, Baiona and Vigo.
There were a few boat taxis on the boardwalk that took pilgrims directly across to Spain without walking into Caminha.

€46,-
There were a few boat taxis on the boardwalk that took pilgrims directly across to Spain without walking into Caminha.
Okay ! Before entering Caminha at the harbour and the camping site. When we crossed it were fishermen from there who set us over.

Okay ! Before entering Caminha at the harbour and the camping site. When we crossed it were fishermen from there who set us over.
I think some of those fishermen have re-trained.

€83,-
We finished our first Camino 2 weeks ago, From Porto , Litoral combined with Coastal and took the taxi boat over to Spain as ferry broke down. Continued along the coast via A Guarda and stayed at Santa Maria de Oia at Casa Puertas , not an albuergue but what a fantastic place, highly recommend. Also did the Variant Espiritual which was indeed beautifull as everyone says. Got a distance certificate of 280km but the total experience was much more then the km done.

We finished our first Camino 2 weeks ago, From Porto , Litoral combined with Coastal and took the taxi boat over to Spain as ferry broke down. Continued along the coast via A Guarda and stayed at Santa Maria de Oia at Casa Puertas , not an albuergue but what a fantastic place, highly recommend. Also did the Variant Espiritual which was indeed beautifull as everyone says. Got a distance certificate of 280km but the total experience was much more then the km done.
If you followed the recent discussion about the Variante here on the forum you see that you confirm what the Pilgrims Office is saying
you did the coastal via A Guarda and Baiona and this is as the Cathedral says 280 kms.
the Variante is not recognized officially so the extra kms you walked on the Variante do not count.
Thanks for your information

I’m in Caminha and looking to cross to A Guarda tomorrow morning by boat.

I want to go early morning around 6am but my hostel says it’s impossible. I like to walk as early as possible since the afternoon is too hot for me.

Sorry, but Abertinho's info is incorrect. We just finished the same Camino last week. Starting in Tui and taking the Spiritual Variant. You need two stamps per day that are very easy to obtain-- and yes you will get your Compostela AND your Certificate of Distance. Happy to answer any questions about this route if you want to send me an IM. Buen Camino! Loved this path!!!
Hi TreshaA2 We are walking from Tui to santiago but doing the normal route. Are there many places to stop off along the ways for coffee etc

I’m in Caminha and looking to cross to A Guarda tomorrow morning by boat.

I want to go early morning around 6am but my hostel says it’s impossible. I like to walk as early as possible since the afternoon is too hot for me.
How did you get on trying to cross early, was it possible?

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back