• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese: Coastal vs Central, which way??

KylieM

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk camino Portuguese in Sept 2015
Hi All,

I am New Zealand born - Amsterdam based woman planning to walk my first camino this Sept (2015), and have decided on the camino Portuguese starting from Porto.

I had intended on walking the Central route. However, after reading a few entries here and there, I learned more about the beauty of the Coastal walk.

From what I understand, the Central is busier - with a good chance of meeting other pilgrims, but not so busy as not to find a place to sleep. However, from many accounts some long stretches through some industrial areas. The Coastal is less busy in the sense, that you will be lucky to see anyone, so could also become quite lonely, despite the stunning beauty.

I also understand that the Coastal is longer (13 days?) than the Central (11 days?).

I am looking for some solitude, but am wary of spending the whole 2 weeks alone, and am also looking for some natural beauty and great food.

Is there anyone who has done both, that could give me some advice? I will book my plane tickets based on which one I go with.

Any advice would be appreciated! Cheers; Kylie M.

Hi, Kylie, I have changed your words to replace all your references to the Camino INTERIOR. I know this is confusing, but the Camino Interior Portugues goes from Viseu to Chaves to Verín, where it connects with the Camino Sanabrés. Based on what you say in your posts, you are referring to the "traditional" "central" Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My personal opinion - you can't lose which ever way you decide. I walked from Porto along the coast until Caminha, then turned and followed the river to Valenca to join the traditional route. I had the coast to myself and always was able to find company when I wanted it after Valenca. It was about ten days walking, 10.5 if counting the half day from Porto to Matosinhos. There were a couple of 30 km days (more by choice than necessity, they easily could have been broken into shorter segments).

I did meet someone who walked south from Finisterre and then down the Portuguese coast and he had nothing but good things to say about the Spanish coast.

It was my first caminho and I have no regrets about my choice of route.

Many people avoid the boring and unpleasant walk out of Porto (through suburbs and ind. areas) by taking the metro north for a bit, leaving close to Vilarinho.
As I and Albertinho have recommended, leaving Porto along the river and then following the coast is a nice and safe walk.

Good food can be found anywhere, of course the coast will be best for fish and seafood.
For natural beauty, I prefer the central route rather than the coast. But then again, I live on the coast and the scenery from Porto to Caminha is pretty well know to me.
The coast in Galicia is different from northern Portugal and arguably more beautiful.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My personal opinion - you can't lose which ever way you decide. I walked from Porto along the coast until Caminha, then turned and followed the river to Valenca to join the traditional route. I had the coast to myself and always was able to find company when I wanted it after Valenca. It was about ten days walking, 10.5 if counting the half day from Porto to Matosinhos. There were a couple of 30 km days (more by choice than necessity, they easily could have been broken into shorter segments).

I did meet someone who walked south from Finisterre and then down the Portuguese coast and he had nothing but good things to say about the Spanish coast.

It was my first caminho and I have no regrets about my choice of route.
Thanks Utgaard. I don't really know if I want the whole coast to myself, but I love the idea of being able to see an smell the ocean (I miss it).

However, I'm a bit afraid of getting lost, and if I'm honest- of also getting lonely. The route you described of going from Porto up to Caminha, then in to Valenca was the route I was thinking of. I will meet a friend in Valenca, and we will travel together to Santiago.

Then I read some comments about the beauty of towns on the Interior route like Braga... Ooooh, how to choose? Thanks for your feedback, it was very helpful.

Many people avoid the boring and unpleasant walk out of Porto (through suburbs and ind. areas) by taking the metro north for a bit, leaving close to Vilarinho.
As I and Albertinho have recommended, leaving Porto along the river and then following the coast is a nice and safe walk.

Good food can be found anywhere, of course the coast will be best for fish and seafood.
For natural beauty, I prefer the central route rather than the coast. But then again, I live on the coast and the scenery from Porto to Caminha is pretty well know to me.
The coast in Galicia is different from northern Portugal and arguably more beautiful.
Oh, seafood! ... But please explain more about the natural beauty of the Central route... Do you mean rivers an streams, or fields of flowers, waterfalls?

However, I'm a bit afraid of getting lost, and if I'm honest- of also getting lonely. The route you described of going from Porto up to Caminha, then in to Valenca was the route I was thinking of. I will meet a friend in Valenca, and we will travel together to Santiago.

How much does getting lost bother you? The literal coastal route I used was not well marked. You will need to be able to navigate using a map. I didn't mind getting lost. Yes, it led to a slog through the sand dunes before Viana do Castelo, but also to a gentleman who went out of his way to walk me to a footbridge that I was having trouble finding.

You could do Porto to Vila do Conde along the coast, then head inland to the Central Caminho. That would give you a taste of the ocean and an opportunity to walk with other pilgrims before you meet up with your friend. The way will be well marked and covered in the common guidebooks.

If the ocean is important then continuing on to Muxia or Finisterre would be a nice reward.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Being a bit more used to being near the sea, the hills hold a stronger fascination for me.
Starting around Vairão or Vilarinho you start to feel your going into the crop fields and small towns. There are many streams and river in the north of Portugal, many small fields, water fountains (unchecked but so far always good water). There are also many chapels and churchs.
Braga is not on the central route but there is Barcelos, Ponte de Lima and Valença. All nice town center with things to see.

On the coast, it might be unfair to say, but it is a bit the same from Leixões up to Viana, not changing much up to Caminha (more rocky beaches).
Matosinhos, Vila do Conde, Póvoa do Varzim, Viana, Vila Praia de Âncora and Caminha are the main cities on the Portuguese coast you go through. All nice places.

I think it is very hard to say one is better than the other. It depends on what your preferences are.

Both coastal and central are well waymarked, with perhaps the central a bit ahead on that regard. Mind you, I have only done the coastal from Porto to Vila Praia de Âncora. Even if the coverage of yellow arrows isn't the best, you are never far away from the sea, so you don't really get lost, albeit you may loose the trail.
From what I've seen in Esposende, I'd say that the coastal is certainly more popular than in other years, but I would not be surprised if you would only see 1-2 or no people on the trail on a daily basis.

Hello!

I don't where should I place my question.
Me & my sister start from Porto on the 12th of June. We want our first day to be along the ocean. Maybe someone could show where exactly should we turn to the Central Route after Vila Do Conde? Which road is better?
If someone has a track - we would be very grateful! Its an unexpected trip for us & we don't have time to prepare. We even don't have a guide booke, but hope everything will be ok :)

Being a bit more used to being near the sea, the hills hold a stronger fascination for me.
Starting around Vairão or Vilarinho you start to feel your going into the crop fields and small towns. There are many streams and river in the north of Portugal, many small fields, water fountains (unchecked but so far always good water). There are also many chapels and churchs.
Braga is not on the central route but there is Barcelos, Ponte de Lima and Valença. All nice town center with things to see.

On the coast, it might be unfair to say, but it is a bit the same from Leixões up to Viana, not changing much up to Caminha (more rocky beaches).
Matosinhos, Vila do Conde, Póvoa do Varzim, Viana, Vila Praia de Âncora and Caminha are the main cities on the Portuguese coast you go through. All nice places.

I think it is very hard to say one is better than the other. It depends on what your preferences are.

Both coastal and central are well waymarked, with perhaps the central a bit ahead on that regard. Mind you, I have only done the coastal from Porto to Vila Praia de Âncora. Even if the coverage of yellow arrows isn't the best, you are never far away from the sea, so you don't really get lost, albeit you may loose the trail.
From what I've seen in Esposende, I'd say that the coastal is certainly more popular than in other years, but I would not be surprised if you would only see 1-2 or no people on the trail on a daily basis.
From Viana do Castelo to Vigo we only met a handfull pilgrims the other day.
We liked the coastal very much.we also walked the central route from Lisbon .
We liked both but wanted to walk the Coastal too. Socialy spoken you could better walk the central route. We liked the places you mentioned on the Portuguese side but also liked places like La Guardia and Baiona in Spain.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello!

I don't where should I place my question.
Me & my sister start from Porto on the 12th of June. We want our first day to be along the ocean. Maybe someone could show where exactly should we turn to the Central Route after Vila Do Conde? Which road is better?
If someone has a track - we would be very grateful! Its an unexpected trip for us & we don't have time to prepare. We even don't have a guide booke, but hope everything will be ok :)
It is not difficult .in Vila do Conde is a bridge . Go over the bridge .turn right en keep to the right following the river and you are on the central route.
Be carefull. Three yards just over the bridge is a blue sign with a scallop it points direction under the bridge and ends up at the other side of the bridge into the towncenter. This is the waymarker for the coastal route.

Ps Marusya. I should go for the central if I were you. It is easy waymarked and more pilgrims are going central than the coastal.
Walk from Vila do Conde to São Pedro de Rates and on to Barcelos
18 km from there is casa da Fernanda. The place to be to stay.
Give Fernanda a call on beforehand to reserve a place to sleep. It is very popular.
+351 914 589 521

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is not difficult .in Vila do Conde is a bridge . Go over the bridge .turn right en keep to the right following the river and you are on the central route.
Be carefull. Three yards just over the bridge is a blue sign with a scallop it points direction under the bridge and ends up at the other side of the bridge into the towncenter. This is the waymarker for the coastal route.
Albertinho, Thanks a lot! From our hostel to the bridge in Vila do Conde is about 30km. I think it will be enough for the 1-st day.
After the bridge we should only follow the yellow arrows, right?:oops:

I walked the Coastal Camino Portuguese and I loved it, very much. After Viana, we walked the following stages: Caminha, Oia, Baiona, Vigo and then we caught back up to the inland Camino at Redondela. It was lovely, watching the Coast evolve from sand to rock and from balmy to gusty wind!

Please visit my Instagram feed for a taste of each stage: https://instagram.com/p/2j-bDiNlVK/

Hello! The photos are very nice and beautiful!!!, Coast is our next goal for the next year :)
Now we don't even believe that there are only a few days before our Camino :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Albertinho, Thanks a lot! From our hostel to the bridge in Vila do Conde is about 30km. I think it will be enough for the 1-st day.
After the bridge we should only follow the yellow arrows, right?:oops:
If you like to walk 30 kms a day yes ! We took the metro from our hostal in the Porto center to the Matosinhos bridge and walked from there to Vila do Conde. 22 kms. Later back in Porto after having finished the caminho we walked from Matosinhos to Porto center 10 km , a beautiful l walk. We did the same 3 weeks ago but then at the other side of the river ,ending up at Vila Nova de Gaia where all famous portwine houses are.
Initially I should not follow yellow waymarkers in Vila do Conde but turn to the right at the end of the bridge and keep following the river to the metro stop. Around there you are sure find the right yellow markers. Because yellow markers also point to the coastal route . So for shure do not go underneath the bridge but turn right and after a few hundred meters you are on the way to São Pedro the Rates.
Don't forget your fluorescent safety vest. Partly you walk alongside some busy roads .
Not been at Fernanda's is not been on the caminho Portugues! You won't regret it staying there!
Bom caminho

Last edited:

Thank you Edumad. I think I will walk the first part from Porto to Villa do Conde, then turn in to walk the rest of the Interior. I just need to calculate how many days I need, so I can book my flight to Porto. If you have some suggestions or ideas, that would be great. Otherwise, I am trolling older posts, and going through links to previous pilgrim blogs. All have interesting stories, and helpful tips . Cheers; Ky

Thank you Edumad. I think I will walk the first part from Porto to Villa do Conde, then turn in to walk the rest of the Interior. I just need to calculate how many days I need, so I can book my flight to Porto. If you have some suggestions or ideas, that would be great. Otherwise, I am trolling older posts, and going through links to previous pilgrim blogs. All have interesting stories, and helpful tips . Cheers; Ky
It took us 14 days from Porto via Vila do Conde and the central route (SãO Pedro de Rates, Barcelos,-even had a day off there to visit Braga) Casa da Fernanda, Ponte de Lima, Rubiaês,Valença do Minho, O Porriño, Redondela, Pontevedra,Caldas de Reis, Padrôn and Teo to Santiago. Maximum 20 kms per day

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the Coastal Camino Portuguese and I loved it, very much. After Viana, we walked the following stages: Caminha, Oia, Baiona, Vigo and then we caught back up to the inland Camino at Redondela. It was lovely, watching the Coast evolve from sand to rock and from balmy to gusty wind!

Please visit my Instagram feed for a taste of each stage: https://instagram.com/p/2j-bDiNlVK/
Hi, I am walking the surf and turf Portuguese. I am starting in Oia, Baiona, Vigo, then inland to Redondela, Pontevedra, Caldas De Rei, Padron To Santiago. I am doing the hotel way as I didn't know how I would go travelling on my own... I don't have instagram is there any other way I could look at your pics ? I am walking end of Aug for 7 days the last 146km. Any places of interest and great places to eat would be a good help.. My accommodation has all been pre booked.

Hi, I'm sorry, I haven't checked in lately. I don't think you need to join Instagram to look at my photos. My photos are on my phone and I can't figure out how to post on the forum.

I took a bath at Caldas De Reais. It was lovely. For me, it was the little things--like buying a huge box of cherries from a road side fruta vendor--they always had the best deals!

Places to eat? I can't remember the restaurants names!! In Baiona, there was a gelarderia that served arroz con leche--yum! So good!

I avoided the menu a dia, concentrating on tapas. The food in Pontevedra, Padron, and SdC was excellent! It didn't seem to matter where you went. Redondela and Caldas de Reias was a bit more restricted in choices.

I also stayed at Pensions/hotels and was pleased with my choices for the most part.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hi, can you please PM me your route? I'm planning to walk the Coastal way as well in about 2 weeks from Porto and want to stick to the coast as much as possible and go through Marinhas-Viana do castelo-Oia-Mougas-Vigo...Thanks

Hi, I'm sorry, I haven't checked in lately. I don't think you need to join Instagram to look at my photos. My photos are on my phone and I can't figure out how to post on the forum.

I took a bath at Caldas De Reais. It was lovely. For me, it was the little things--like buying a huge box of cherries from a road side fruta vendor--they always had the best deals!

Places to eat? I can't remember the restaurants names!! In Baiona, there was a gelarderia that served arroz con leche--yum! So good!

I avoided the menu a dia, concentrating on tapas. The food in Pontevedra, Padron, and SdC was excellent! It didn't seem to matter where you went. Redondela and Caldas de Reias was a bit more restricted in choices.

I also stayed at Pensions/hotels and was pleased with my choices for the most part.
Hi, I have 2 weeks till I leave. I have a Camino passport book but someone suggested to get 1 that folds and opens out so when I get back I can have it laminated. Would you happen to remember if I can get 1 of these in Oia ???

Hi, I have 2 weeks till I leave. I have a Camino passport book but someone suggested to get 1 that folds and opens out so when I get back I can have it laminated. Would you happen to remember if I can get 1 of these in Oia ???
Oia is a very small village with a church ,a hotel and a few bars .
I donot expect to get a credential there.
We stayed in hotel a Raiña . Not special for peregrinos .but was okay.
Maybe 5 kms northwards is the albergue in Mougas . Maybe they supply them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, can you please PM me your route? I'm planning to walk the Coastal way as well in about 2 weeks from Porto and want to stick to the coast as much as possible and go through Marinhas-Viana do castelo-Oia-Mougas-Vigo...Thanks

Hi, would appreciate it if you could PM me your route swell. would be awesome. Am currently deciding wether or not to do the coastal route . Thanks

Hola
I am going to do the camino portugese next month and wat to go this route:
Ponte de Lima, Rubies, Tui, VIGO, Redondela, Pontevedra,Caldas de Reis, Padrôn and Santiago.
I have family in Vigo so thats is why I want to go thru Vigo

Does anyone knows about a route from Tui to VIGO?
tanks

Good day I would if possible like someone to pm me with the best and worthwhile rout te travel along the Portuguese coastal route from ??? to Santiago
Much appreciated elizavdwest@mweb.co.za fb Elize van der Westhuyzen thank you for info above. regards

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome to the forum @Elize if you take some time reading the Camino Portugues forum here a lot of your questions will be already answered. If you then still have some left feel free to post your specific question then. Buen Camino, SY

Hi All,

I am New Zealand born - Amsterdam based woman planning to walk my first camino this Sept (2015), and have decided on the camino Portuguese starting from Porto.

I had intended on walking the Interior route. However, after reading a few entries here and there, I learned more about the beauty of the Coastal walk.

From what I understand, the Interior is busier - with a good chance of meeting other pilgrims, but not so busy as not to find a place to sleep. However, from many accounts some long stretches through some industrial areas. The Coastal is less busy in the sense, that you will be lucky to see anyone, so could also become quite lonely, despite the stunning beauty.

I also understand that the Coastal is longer (13 days?) than the Interior (11 days?).

I am looking for some solitude, but am wary of spending the whole 2 weeks alone, and am also looking for some natural beauty and great food.

Is there anyone who has done both, that could give me some advice? I will book my plane tickets based on which one I go with.

Any advice would be appreciated! Cheers; Kylie M.

Hola
Ponte de Lima, Rubies, Tui, VIGO, Redondela, Pontevedra,Caldas de Reis, Padrôn and Santiago.

tanks

Olá Alejandro,

There is no marked trail from Caminho Central to Vigo. My suggestion: The caminho goes thru O Porriño. Take the bus from O Porriño to Vigo.
Link: http://salcedadecaselas.es/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/SERVIZO-AUTOBUS-a-vigo.pdf

Bom caminho

Rainer

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Would anyone be able to tell me if they would suggest Baiona to to Santiago or Tui to Santiago for the beginning of April?

Would anyone be able to tell me if they would suggest Baiona to to Santiago or Tui to Santiago for the beginning of April?

Im interested to see if you get replies on this as I need similar help also. I am researching this route….. Baiona - Vigo - Redondela - Pontevedra - Ruas - Caldas de Reis - Padron - Teo - Santiago de C. Working my way through all the brilliant info on this forum but there's so much, especially Coastal V central route V interior route. Arrgghh! I want to see as much coastline as possible, especially as I am only starting 100+ k back from Santiago. And probably travelling alone, so I don't want to be nervous of too much solitude. All advice welcome.

Im interested to see if you get replies on this as I need similar help also. I am researching this route….. Baiona - Vigo - Redondela - Pontevedra - Ruas - Caldas de Reis - Padron - Teo - Santiago de C. Working my way through all the brilliant info on this forum but there's so much, especially Coastal V central route V interior route. Arrgghh! I want to see as much coastline as possible, especially as I am only starting 100+ k back from Santiago. And probably travelling alone, so I don't want to be nervous of too much solitude. All advice welcome.

If we end up choosing the Coastal Route, I will definitely give you our review. We only have 34 days until our trip!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If we end up choosing the Coastal Route, I will definitely give you our review. We only have 34 days until our trip!
Thank you so much KaylaT! I'd really appreciate any help or advice. (or from anyone else on here) Now your countdown is on! Exciting times. Buen Camino.

Hola

tanks

Well the guide I got at the Porto Tourist office shows a route from Caminhe to Vigo but this I believe is an unofficial route. They show the main coast route as going inland at Caminhe and rejoining the main inland route at Valença. But you also would not be far from Vigo if you just went the main route through Redondela.

Well the guide I got at the Porto Tourist office shows a route from Caminhe to Vigo but this I believe is an unofficial route. They show the main coast route as going inland at Caminhe and rejoining the main inland route at Valença. But you also would not be far from Vigo if you just went the main route through Redondela.

Olá Dougdo,

why do you believe it´s an unofficial route from Caminha to Vigo?

Yes, there is an official route from Caminha >A Guarda > Mougás > Baiona to Vigo! For this route you have to take the ferry from Caminha to A Guarda. Link for the ferry: https://telemarinas.com/horarios-del-ferry-entre-a-guarda-y-caminha-hasta-el-proximo-verano/ No ferry on Mondays!

There is also a route from Caminha > Vila Nova de Cerveira > Valença do Minho. All routes are well marked and all are in guide books like John Brierley and others for years!

Bom caminho

Rainer

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Olá Dougdo,

why do you believe it´s an unofficial route from Caminha to Vigo?

Yes, there is an official route from Caminha >A Guarda > Mougás > Baiona to Vigo! For this route you have to take the ferry from Caminha to A Guarda. Link for the ferry: https://telemarinas.com/horarios-del-ferry-entre-a-guarda-y-caminha-hasta-el-proximo-verano/ No ferry on Mondays!

There is also a route from Caminha > Vila Nova de Cerveira > Valença do Minho. All routes are well marked and all are in guide books like John Brierley and others for years!

Bom caminho

Rainer
Of course you're right Rainier! Just got confused for a second with so much info out there!

I'm in the route now in Vila de Praia. Started on the coastal route to Vila do Conde then went inland to join the central to Barcelos. From their I spent half the day on the central then back to the coast. So I've seen a bit of both. Since I'm cycling haven't been able to follow all of the trail unfortunately as parts are great for bikes and parts are impossible.

Hi, I am walking the surf and turf Portuguese. I am starting in Oia, Baiona, Vigo, then inland to Redondela, Pontevedra, Caldas De Rei, Padron To Santiago. I am doing the hotel way as I didn't know how I would go travelling on my own... I don't have instagram is there any other way I could look at your pics ? I am walking end of Aug for 7 days the last 146km. Any places of interest and great places to eat would be a good help.. My accommodation has all been pre booked.

Dougdo, If you check out the website: http://www.caminador.es/, he lists which routes are good for those in wheelchairs, which would obviously work for bicycles, and I believe that after Mougas (on the coast after A Guarda) there's a dedicated cycle track all the way to Vigo.

hi I too am looking for a coastal route that last about a week, if you were pm a route please could you forward it on? x

Hi I'm thinking of walking the coastal route for a week or so this summer, my and a friend were planning on camping though I understand this could be problematic. Any info you could give would be greatly appreciated :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi. Great to have all these lovely resources and ideas form you all. After some reading here, I am almost settled on doing a combo of the coastal from Matoshinos to Viano do Costelo then heading away fro the coastal route inland on to Santiago. I know that I will see places that I will want to return to and then look at the horizon and want to go there as well.

Greetings, I am going to begin in Porto to Vila de Conde and would like to do about 3 days of coastal walking. My thoughts are to go inland after Vila de Conde, taking the central route but would like to exit back out to the ocean for a few more days. Any thoughts? I was thinking of catching a bus from Valenca or Tui to Baiona or Nigran? From what I read this northern section seems to be the best part of the Coastal Portuguese Camino?

Greetings, I am going to begin in Porto to Vila de Conde and would like to do about 3 days of coastal walking. My thoughts are to go inland after Vila de Conde, taking the central route but would like to exit back out to the ocean for a few more days. Any thoughts? I was thinking of catching a bus from Valenca or Tui to Baiona or Nigran? From what I read this northern section seems to be the best part of the Coastal Portuguese Camino?
You could go from Valença do Minho or Tui to A Guarda and then walk the coastline to Baiona or Nigrán. Mind after Nigrán comes Vigo which is a big city. -I like Vigo but not all do. from there to the connection to Redondela it is not that interesting .
I should do it differently. From Porto I follow the coast as far as Viana do Castelo and there make a jump (by bus to Balugães or by train to Barroselas) and continue the central route to Ponte de Lima and on to Valença do Minho where you could jump to the coastal again as mentioned above . So you will make out the best of your caminho. Once again on the central route at Redondela you could make another move to the coastal by walking the Variante Espiritual directly after Pontevedra. Then your caminho will be unforgetable.
Bom caminho

€83,-
You could go from Valença do Minho or Tui to A Guarda and then walk the coastline to Baiona or Nigrán. Mind after Nigrán comes Vigo which is a big city. -I like Vigo but not all do. from there to the connection to Redondela it is not that interesting .
I should do it differently. From Porto I follow the coast as far as Viana do Castelo and there make a jump (by bus to Balugães or by train to Barroselas) and continue the central route to Ponte de Lima and on to Valença do Minho where you could jump to the coastal again as mentioned above . So you will make out the best of your caminho. Once again on the central route at Redondela you could make another move to the coastal by walking the Variante Espiritual directly after Pontevedra. Then your caminho will be unforgetable.
Bom caminho
Thank you so much for your suggestions. With some further thought and study, we are looking at walking from Porto to Vila de Conde - over to Rates and up the Central Way until we we get to Pontevedra and the walk the Variante Espiritual. I am trusting that will make for an excellent journey and providing some coastal walking. As you appear knowledgeable on this part of the pilgrimage, do you have any additional suggestions for our journey. Thank you again.

Depending on how many kms you want to walk a day ,please let me know how long you want to walk along the coast
Some walk in one day from Porto to Vila do Conde. About 30 kms.
On the Central your first albergue from Vila do Conde will be in São Pedro De Rates
The next near and in Barcelos are 2 albergues. The next thereafter is in Tamel but if I were you I should walk another 6 kms to Casa da Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piães.
In april next I will stay there a couple of days and later in september this year another 2 or 3 weeks as hospitaleiro.

From there the caminho gets some more hills up to about 400 meters every 15 to 20 kms are albergues till the Portuguese border and once in Spain the first is after about 4 kms in Tui.
I should stay overnight in Valença at the Portuguese side of the border.Tui is very popular among Spaniards because from Tui it is about 100 kms to Santiago ,good enough to apply for a certificate. Having walked to Santiago for Spaniards is good for their CV.

On the way to Pontevedra you will find several albergues
Once you enter the town of Redondela, in the middle of the center is the municipal albergue but avoid this big noisy and smelly place and walk on for 3 kms to the refúxio de la Jérezana in the village of Cessantes. Localy the place is waymarked and fairly easy to find at the rightside of the big road you have to cross there.do'nt cross the road but turn right and after one hundred meters it is there at the right side .

Once on the Variante Espiritual after the climb to Armenteiros directly next to the monastry starts a beautifull waymarked path, a ruta de pedras e augas. Along a beach and medieval mills
At the end of the 7 kms long path in the next village you will find a restaurant os Castanhos. They rent rooms. .Stay there if you like. Enjoy a meal. From there it is 14 kms to Vila Nova de Arousa where the boat brings you to Pontecessures/Padrón and your last stage to Santiago .
Bom caminho

Last edited:
If you like to walk 30 kms a day yes ! We took the metro from our hostal in the Porto center to the Matosinhos bridge and walked from there to Vila do Conde. 22 kms. Later back in Porto after having finished the caminho we walked from Matosinhos to Porto center 10 km , a beautiful l walk. We did the same 3 weeks ago but then at the other side of the river ,ending up at Vila Nova de Gaia where all famous portwine houses are.
Initially I should not follow yellow waymarkers in Vila do Conde but turn to the right at the end of the bridge and keep following the river to the metro stop. Around there you are sure find the right yellow markers. Because yellow markers also point to the coastal route . So for shure do not go underneath the bridge but turn right and after a few hundred meters you are on the way to São Pedro the Rates.
Don't forget your fluorescent safety vest. Partly you walk alongside some busy roads .
Not been at Fernanda's is not been on the caminho Portugues! You won't regret it staying there!
Bom caminho

I have an old Brierley from many years ago , when he was anti - coastal , so the ways not mentioned unless you take an option.
We are going to redo the Portuguese in June, really taking our time Albertinho as we have friends in Caminha where we will stay for a week before continuing to the Invierno v via Santiago.
We intend to follow the coast EVERY inch of the way mate ;
Porto to Matosinhos , along the coastal road ?
Mato to Vila do Conte Or Varzim ?
Vila or Varzim to Esposende ?

Over 70yrs now so HRH sends her bag on , with my extra shoes of course , so accommadation will not be albergues .
Its funny as we staying in Caminha in 2008 after our Frances and they were getting their act into gear which resulted in a lovely albergue on the river. Not many then were getting the ferry to go via Vigo.
Any advice or opinions appreciated,

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have an old Brierley from many years ago , when he was anti - coastal , so the ways not mentioned unless you take an option.
We are going to redo the Portuguese in June, really taking our time Albertinho as we have friends in Caminha where we will stay for a week before continuing to the Invierno v via Santiago.
We intend to follow the coast EVERY inch of the way mate ;
Porto to Matosinhos , along the coastal road ?
Mato to Vila do Conte Or Varzim ?
Vila or Varzim to Esposende ?

Over 70yrs now so HRH sends her bag on , with my extra shoes of course , so accommadation will not be albergues .
Its funny as we staying in Caminha in 2008 after our Frances and they were getting their act into gear which resulted in a lovely albergue on the river. Not many then were getting the ferry to go via Vigo.
Any advice or opinions appreciated,
I will think of you when I walk the coastal to Caminha and even further to Valença do Minho.i do not expect you will encounter any difficulties. I did the coastal before and loved it.

Bom caminho

I arrived in Porto last year, fully planning to walk the Coastal way...until i spent a day along the river, and a few hours in Moratinhos near the beach and decided i didn't want to be that exposed to the sun and wind for 11-13 days. So i walked the Central and adored it - the towns i passed through were exquisite - Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, Tui. I am considering walking the CPort again, this time along the Coastal, but i would love to visit these towns again. And yes, as Albertinho says, Casa Fernana is a special place.

From talking to fellow pilgrims along the CPort, it seemed walking at least some days on the Coastal way was very popular - this makes me think that if you really want to walk the Coastal, you will not be lonely. The photos pilgrims showed me were stunning.

For those who started in Porto in summer, about how many pilgrims did you run into during a day on the Central route? My husband and I did the Camino Frances 2 years ago and loved meeting so many people but we would like to go a different route next year and still be able to walk with people.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A VERY rough estimate would be around a couple-few dozen for the first couple few days out of Porto. Night 1 - there would have been about 10 pilgrims in total at the albergue i stayed at which was slightly off stage; night 2 i was alone in my albergue (which was most unusual - 6-7 people usually stayed every night); night 3 - about 16 people. At Ponte de Lima i reckon there would have been at least 60 people in the municipal. After Tui, it's just like the walk from Sarria to Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back