• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Camino Portuguese coastal

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2019) Camino Portuguese (2022)
Day 4

Sent luggage to Santiago no more packing and unpacking.

My pack is a 26 and I still have too much. I wished I would have reduced further.

The one item I brought that I am very happy about the walking tips for my poles. They are a blessing on cobblestones! I brought them on my last Camino and never used them. I replaced the shock absorbers on my poles the day before I left and at the last minute I tossed them in my suitcase.

Rained today until about 1 pm and the sun came out from under the clouds for about an hour.

Made my first wrong turn at Marinhas. I followed two pilgrims and we all followed painted yellow signs: so did the pilgrims on the bikes. Not that is route is wrong, to is downright dangerous. One mile in there was no shoulder at all. Everyone I saw walked it. I turned back.

Oh and did I mention those bike riders were riding electric bikes? If I new electric bikes were allowed, I might have opted to ride a bike!

When you reach N13 cross Cross the street at the crosswalk in front of the hospital and stay on the street to the right. This is very well marked with beautiful blue Camino tiles. You will come to a church that you can see from n13 as well.

I walked about 6 or 7 miles and saw a quaint little square with a very small a frame church. It was not open but I ate my lunch on the park bench and used the public restroom in the building behind the church. Cleanest most equipped I’ve seen. I was surprised it was open.

I met and spoke with many pilgrims on the trail today from: Germany, Canada, Ireland and the US.

The first forest I walked through today I finally felt like I was on the Camino. It was so beautiful.

The climb up I could hear the river below but it took a while before it revealed itself. On the way back down the river was In full view and I was treated to the waterfalls. A group of young pilgrims who passed me earlier were sitting on the bank of the river having lunch.

I didn’t really enjoy hiking on the roads at all.

I could not believe the stairs at the Mosterio De Sao.

After Casa de Caroline I made a wrong turn thanks to yellow arrows. By now hungry so I decided to stop at Cafe Catete. Best meal Since Porto. I had kababs salad and French fries and 2 beers: 8 euro.

The young woman who works at the cafe was so helpful. She was teaching me Portuguese. We talked for a very long time.

By now I had walked almost 14 miles and I had 2.5 to go and had a few beers so I used 4 wheels instead of two to get to my hotel.

My hotel was hotel do parque

The room ok it was inexpensive about 30 euro and they had a good breakfast, but after exploring the town I wished I would have stayed closer to town.

Bom Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Day 5

The day started off windy and wet. Yet it was unusually warm.

I explored town a bit before heading to the coast for the 10 mile walk to Vila Praia de Âncora

The coast really bad very windy but I had my trusty Altus poncho. I love that poncho. I wore it for 5 days straight on my last Camino and never got wet. It has come in handy this time too.

The rain stopped by the time I arrived in Prara de Carreco and the cafe was open. Airfix posted last week that it was closed. I asked the person working at the cafe about it and he said they are closed on Mondays only.

Up to now I did not see any Camino signage and didn’t for much of the day.

from Prara de Carreco to my destination not much signage. The Camino splits from here and is very confusing. Needless to say I was lost. The apps I used took me in and out of the coast often. When I finally saw a Camino sign on the coast I was so happy only to discover it takes you to a very dangerous pathway. If I weren’t walking alone And I were younger I might have taken the path. But at my age No Way.

I must say it was the most beautiful hike and I ended up in a magical forest (like in a far trail) on a really nicely paved path. Both Camino Ninja and Wise Pilgrim apps said I was not on the Camino but in between the two paths. After one hour of frustration with the apps I switched to google. Without google I would have continued to brave on and off the Camino.

I walked over 15 miles and arrived at a beautiful beach!

I stayed at the Albergaria Quim

It was expensive but I booked the same day. The rooms are not really much to talk about but the view!

I had an amazing dinner with wine at Fortaleza it was so much food I could only eat about 1/3!

This morning the son is coming out. It is low tide and the ocean is very calm.

I have a short walk to

Caminha today and will meet up with pilgrims I met a few days ago. They took the central route yesterday.

Bom Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back