• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese during Semana Santa

Mormon

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Portuguese
Hi. My husband and I will be walking from Lisbon beginning March 2. It looks like we will get to Tui around March 28, which puts us squarely in Semana Santa. We should reach Padron on Easter Sunday. My plan was to not make advanced reservations for places to stay during most of the walk since it's so early in the season, but I'm wondering if that's a mistake for this stretch from Tui to Padron given the holiday week. Advice from those more experienced would be appreciated. Obrigada.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Morman. Last year at Semana Santa I walked from Porto to Santiago with a friend. There were plenty of pilgrims but we didn't have any particular difficulties sourcing accommodation. That said, it was quite busy and we were not always sleeping in albergues - but were mixing it up a bit with small pensions/hotels. We didn't make any reservations more than a day in advance. Bom Caminho.

I recommend advance reservations for the period from Holy Thursday (the Thursday before Easter Sunday) through the following Sunday (First Sunday after Easter). Typically, many Europeans have Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Monday off work as a official holidays. Because of this, many folks can walk a segment of the Camino for up to 10 days without having to use much of their personal holiday or vacation days.

During this period, especially on the more popular Camino routes, including the Portuguese, there is a short-term surge or "pig in the python" effect. This wave of pilgrims places a short-term, but possibly inconvenient strain on accommodations along the way.

Also, Semana Santa is a REALLY BIG deal in both Spain and Portugal. So expect crowds in the cities and larger towns.

I hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very helpful. Thanks. Since I will have a few extra days in Portugal and was planning to go back to Porto after the Camino, maybe I'll spend a couple of days in Porto and Barcelos earlier and get to Tui after the "pig" has been a bit more digested. Obrigada. Bom Caminho.

You can also avoid the Tui (100km starting point) by staying on the Coastal Route to Vigo which reconnects with the Central Route in Redondela.
This is a well marked and traveled route with accomodations easily available. It is still fairly busy with pilgrims but does not have the crowds of the "starting point" in the Tui area.

Staying on the Coastal route until Vigo is a brilliant walk with the sea next to you much of the way. Flat with few hills to climb. Small seaside villages with local tourists on the beach in the summer and fishing boats always.
Take the ferry across the river between Caminha and Camposancos/A Guarda

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back