• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino portuguese from Porto

Ioana Tomescu

Time of past OR future Camino
9 October 2015(from Saint Pied de Port)
Hello again,

we will start the camino on the 3-rd of April from Porto. We decided to walk the central camino. I have several questions:)

- I read that it is not so nice to start it from Porto, better to start after passing the big city. What do you think, what is your advice on this?

- We will arrive in Lisbon today (April 1st) and in Porto tomorrow night. From where can we take the credentials? Is it possible to spend the first night in an albergue of pilgrims already, in Porto, even if we haven't walked yet?

This is my second camino, I walked the camino frances by myself in October 2015. Now, my better half will be with me:)

God bless you all and Buen camino!

Ioana T

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Ioana
My camino last year started in Porto. We caught a train to Porto and stayed the first night at Albergue de Peregrinos do Porto. It was a very friendly welcoming Albergue and I'm sure you could stay there without having walked in. The hospitaleros were sooo helpful and organised our credentials for us. Or they are available from the cathedral.

We caught a train to the outskirts of Porto and then started walking on the central route. From the train window it did look to be a fairly long arduous walk out of Porto and we were glad to be on the train. The train station is very close to the Albergue.

Porto is a stunning town particularly down near the river and it is well worth staying an extra day just to soak it all in.

I loved the central route. And the scenery just got more beautiful as the days went by.
Bom Caminho Ioana
Debbie

Hello again,

- I read that it is not so nice to start it from Porto, better to start after passing the big city. What do you think, what is your advice on this?

The way out of porto is verry nice if you folow the river and than the coast. I think the people that say starting form Porto is not nice just dont now that way. You already finde nice privat and church albergues near to that way.

Bon Camino

Raimund

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And Raimond writes a great guide (although I think for the Portuguese not yet in English?)

Hello again,

we will start the camino on the 3-rd of April from Porto. We decided to walk the central camino. I have several questions:)

- We will arrive in Lisbon today (April 1st) and in Porto tomorrow night. From where can we take the credentials? Is it possible to spend the first night in an albergue of pilgrims already, in Porto, even if we haven't walked yet?

This is my second camino, I walked the camino frances by myself in October 2015. Now, my better half will be with me:)

God bless you all and Buen camino!

Ioana T
Just did that route last May. I suggest that you take a short train ride to the outskirts of Porto and walk from there. Bom Camino.

Ioana, you can get a credential at Sé Catedral in Lisbon. I hope you have a little time to enjoy Lisbon and Porto, either way I really hope you have a great camino and enjoy Portugal and Galicia.

Bom Caminho!

Mike

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am planning my first Camino bit (I have a week) and was looking at the Camino Portuguese Coastal route starting in Baiona, but it appears to be more inland walking than coast? If I want to walk along the coast, would it be better to walk from Finestera to Santiago de Compostella? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just did that route last May. I suggest that you take a short train ride to the outskirts of Porto and walk from there. Bom Camino.

I did this in 2015. After getting stamped at the Cathedral shop atop the hill, walk to the bottom of the hill to the Metro station. Take the train (Blue Line IIRC, destination Senhor de Matosinhos) to Matosinhos.

Get off on the next-to-last-stop (Mercado) of this Metro line. Climb the stairs to the bridge over the river, the Ponte Movel. Once across the bridge, you are in what looks like a commercial container ship port. However, the walking is pleasant and on sidewalks. After about 15 minutes, you turn north (to the right) to parallel the ocean. Continue from there...

Matosinhos is on the northern edge of the city. If you choose to walk it, it is entirely urban and down narrow streets and on sidewalks. Personally, I avoid this sort of entry or departure from a city when possible. I leap frog is transport is available to get past the gritty urban or industrial parts of these otherwise beautiful cities. I do the same for Burgos, and Leon on the Camino Frances.

I hope this helps.

Olá,

I have red many comments about the way out of Porto. Boring suburbs, industrial areas and so on. But why? I presume, most of the english speaking pilgrims used JB´s guide and took the way via Maia to Vilarinho and then to Rates. Id did it twice and I really didn´t enjoy it. In portuguese and german guide books, this way is "out of order" since several years. Also the way from the cathedral trough the city to Matosinhos isn´t very nice.

But later I have chosen my ways from the cathedral down to Cais de Ribeira at the Douro River. Some times I took the old tram Nº 1 or bus 500 to the mouth of the river. It´s a beautiful way along the coast to Matosinhos > Angeiras > Vila do Conde where I switched to Rates for the central way. Allright, you can take the metro to Matosinhos, but if you want to have a nice view, you should better take bus 500 to Matosinhos (Mercado).

As Kanga wrote, the german author Raimund Joos describes this beautiful way in his guide books for years. Unfortunately it´s only in german. He suggests the same way I posted about:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-the-cathedral-including-tram-to-rates.46668/

I hope you will enjoy it.

Bom caminho, Rainer

Last edited:
One of my best days on the Caminho Portugués was the slow walk from Porto cathedral down to the river, following it to the mouth of the river as it joins the sea, watching the people on the beaches, stopping for ice creams and, later in the day, savouring the sardines from the street sellers on the edge of Matosinhos. Fabulous. Those who get the train out of the city centre don’t know what they are missing.
Jill

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ioana, you can get a credential at Sé Catedral in Lisbon. I hope you have a little time to enjoy Lisbon and Porto, either way I really hope you have a great camino and enjoy Portugal and Galicia.

Bom Caminho!

Mike
Mike ,
The credential you are speaking of is the passport to get stamped in the different locations? How much does it cost? Is there hours they are open?
Thank you,
Debbie

Yes it is the document that you get stamped in the different locations. I don't know what they charge but it should be minimal. Maybe 2 euro? I remember they had limited hours too, probably based on availability of volunteers. The desk is in the back right corner as I recall. I had ordered my credential ahead of time from Ivar who runs this site so I am not too sure of the details other than they did have them available there last September.

Here is a link to this site's camino store if you have time to order before you go.

Mike

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
One of my best days on the Caminho Portugués was the slow walk from Porto cathedral down to the river, following it to the mouth of the river as it joins the sea, watching the people on the beaches, stopping for ice creams and, later in the day, savouring the sardines from the street sellers on the edge of Matosinhos. Fabulous. Those who get the train out of the city centre don’t know what they are missing.
Jill

Reslly - people taking a train/ bus out of Porto don't know what they miss! Lovely ses- side walking in the ocean breeze with lovely scenery!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back