• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese in April from Lisbon

Rise Roy

Time of past OR future Camino
CF,Primitivo,Portugues(Norte)
Is there any place to find out statistices on how many pilgrims there are walking in April from Lisbon?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is there any place to find out statistices on how many pilgrims there are walking in April from Lisbon?
Hi Rise Roy,

I am starting from Lisbon March 27, so depending on the date you start our paths may cross.

According to the pilgrims’ office, last year 191 pilgrims started in Lisbon in April (and went to the pilgrims office to get their credential). That number is consistent with my impression, which is that you are likely to find a handful on any given day. The numbers are increasing every year, so you may have a few more than that!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Rise Roy,

I am starting from Lisbon March 27, so depending on the date you start our paths may cross.
You will be 1-2 weeks ahead of me!
According to the pilgrims’ office, last year 191 pilgrims started in Lisbon in April (and went to the pilgrims office to get their credential). That number is consistent with my impression, which is that you are likely to find a handful on any given day. The numbers are increasing every year, so you may have a few more than that!
Could you post that link?

Starting from Lisboa April12.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Starting from Lisbon on April 7, after a three-day stay there. I plan to walk short days for an average of 17-18 km/day. So, even if you start a few days later, you will see me chugging along on the path.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here is the website:

The Manu bar on top says Home, Pilgrim Office, etc. click on Pilgrim Office and statistics and you can find everything.

Hope this helps. There will not be a lot of Pilgrims walking out of Lisbon at that time. When I walked 2 years ago starting in the middle of September there were not that many pilgrims. I didn't start seeing more pilgrims until about Porto. The first night out in Alpriate the Albergue was full. It was very small. I have heard they were doing renovations. There was also the anniversary of the Miracle in Fatima and a lot of people were doing a pilgrimage there. That first night they opened the church for people to stay. About 9:30PM a group from Poland came and there was no where for them to stay. We gave up pillows and blankets and they slept on the floor. After the variant (I don't remember exactly where it was, but it was just a few more days) the Camino got really quiet again until near Porto. You will not have to worry about full Albergues in April. Just make sure they have opened for the season.

Just finished the CP from Lisboa in mid-September and several places between Lisboa and Porto were already planning the "winter shutdown" due to lack of pilgrim traffic. My first three days, I saw only one or two other pilgrims, even at the albergues, until I arrived in Santarem. From that point, there were more pilgrims on the route, although it wasn't until Coimbra that I encountered more than 10-12 per day.
[Note: I am interested in going back to walk some of the sections from Santarem to Coimbra, as it was 41 degrees C for several days while I was walking in September. My experience was also different in that I took a detour to Fatima and then north to Coimbra through Pombal and Condeixa a Nova (this was bushwhacking through areas that are not normally used by CP folks), but there are albergues that primarily serve Fatima pilgrims coming from the north.]
My usual approach to finding a bed in towns that don't list accommodations, on both of my camino hikes - CF and CP - is to locate the biggest bar/cafe in town and ask where I can find a room or a bed/shower for the evening. Haven't had to sleep outside yet, as there is generally at least one place in town or nearby where there are rooms. North of Porto, there was no problem, but the first 150km out of Lisboa had some days where 25-30km between official albergue/hostels was not uncommon. As noted in a post above, the Portuguese are figuring out that the number of CP pilgrims is steadily increasing, so there are new sleeping options opening and being planned by the locals. The Portuguese, from Lisboa to Tomar, seem to focus on Fatima vs Santiago as a final destination, but that may change as more people begin walking from Lisboa to Santiago. Bom Caminho!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Starting in Lisbon on April 17. See you on the road.

I will be walking March 31
Hi pocojo
Please contact MaineSally and ask to be added to our messaging. I am not sure how to do it.

This is what she said.

Red Rose said:

Hi Sally,
I got a message from pocojo who will be a day behind you. She is a new member in the forum and if you don't mind, can we add her to this conversation? Thanks, Trish
Absolutely! Feel free to share my email too. sallyleland@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Portuguese Walker (so I know not to delete)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back