• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese in Feb

Brett Bays

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2013)
Camino Finisterre (Santiago to Finisterre to Santiago, 2014)
Am looking at the Portuguese route for 2015. I need to keep it around 10 days. Any thoughts on the route from Oporto to Santiago in February?

Ive seen the weather stats, but would like to hear from someone experienced with the route conditions and weather in February...

Thanks a load!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome on this forum Brett

May rain,may shine !
The Portugese caminho follows close by the ocean The area has a "sea climate"
10 days could be doable for about 250 kms but not all places to sleep fit in that schedule. 12 days should be more realistic. besides that you are only walking. There are some places of interest, worthwhile staying one more day , for example Porto and Braga (close by Barcelos on the interior route) aswell Santiago itself.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
Welcome on this forum Brett

May rain,may shine !
The Portugese caminho follows close by the ocean The area has a "sea climate"
10 days could be doable for about 250 kms but not all places to sleep fit in that schedule. 12 days should be more realistic. besides that you are only walking. There are some places of interest, worthwhile staying one more day , for example Porto and Braga (close by Barcelos on the interior route) aswell Santiago itself.
Bom caminho

Thank you for the welcome and for the quick reply. I hate having to wrestle with a "tight schedule," but the thought of going again this year won't leave me alone, and 10 days is all I can muster. I have ordered the guide book and will consider a slightly reduced itinirary to accomodate some side trips.

Should I be concerned about the availability of beds that time of year?

Once again, thanks for your interest. Buen Camino!

Brett

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for the welcome and for the quick reply. I hate having to wrestle with a "tight schedule," but the thought of going again this year won't leave me alone, and 10 days is all I can muster. I have ordered the guide book and will consider a slightly reduced itinirary to accomodate some side trips.

Should I be concerned about the availability of beds that time of year?

Once again, thanks for your interest. Buen Camino!

Brett
No I don't think so about the availability of beds. More that you have to walk longer distances to find one what I meant with my remark .
it could be that some albergues in Spain are closed during the wintertime.
an alternative should be start f.ex. In Ponte de Lima instead of Porto. That might fit more into the 10 days you have and you 'll find your bed within a normal schedule .
Ponte de Lima to Rubiães
Rubiaēs to Valença do Minho(Portugal) or Tui Spain. Both bordertowns just 3 kms from each other
Valença/Tui to O Porriño
O Porriño to Redondela
Redondela to Pontevedra
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis
Caldas de Reis to Padrón
Padrón to Santiago
All distances are about 20 kms each day.
In all those above mentioned places are albergues, hostals, pensions
Off course in between them you'll definitely find place to sleep somewhere.

So you could stay one day in Porto and an extra day in Santiago
So I should do this but I can soeak easily. I never have a time limit.
It took me 14 days from Porto to Santiago last time with stops in Porto, Barcelos (to visit the world heritage listed Bom Jesus do Monte church in Braga) and an extra day in Santiago

Last edited:
I walked the costal route last February - from Villa da Conde which you can reach from Oporto, and its airport with a short tram ride. That saved a day's walking and it took me 11 days - by the coast. The weather was abominable with storms coming in from the Atlantic one after the other. There was no problem with beds, except in Oia where I slept uner the stands of a football ground.
All in all it was a great experience.

I walked the costal route last February - from Villa da Conde which you can reach from Oporto, and its airport with a short tram ride. That saved a day's walking and it took me 11 days - by the coast. The weather was abominable with storms coming in from the Atlantic one after the other. There was no problem with beds, except in Oia where I slept uner the stands of a football ground.
All in all it was a great experience.
Could you give us your schedule with places you stayed during your coastal walk please ? I am very curious and are going to start in Viana do Castelo next May.
Un saludo deste lado de Europa

Albertinho

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back