• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese in Jan/Feb anyone ?

Bunclody1

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2013 C Francis
June 2015 C Norte
September 2017 C Primitivo
August 2018 Via de la Plata
Hi all, I am thinking of walking from Porto using the inland route. I will walk from the end of January and am wondering will any/many other people be around at that time ? Failing that have any member ms any info which might be useful ?
Buen Camino,
John.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When we walked in April 2017, we would see max 5-6 other pilgrims each day on the way. Numbers have risen since then, but for the winter they will probably stay very low.

Central route is beautiful and even if albergues are closed for winter, there is a good offer of private accommodation. I loved the Portuguese Central and highly recommend it.

EDIT: the pilgrim office in Santiago says that 688 pilgrims arrived after waling CP in February 2018 (average 24/day), and only 478 in Feb 2019 (average 17/day). So you won't meet heeeaps of people,.

The official pilgrim welcome office in Santiago de Compostela records the name and nationality of every pilgrim who receives the document of completion. As of the end of June 2017, the year’s group of pilgrims predominately followed the classic French route, with 63 percent starting somewhere along it.

I was among the 17 percent of pilgrims choosing the less-traveled Portuguese route, and most of these peregrinos started in Porto (7 percent). Tui is the first city in Spain on the Portuguese Camino, and 5 percent of the pilgrims arriving at Santiago de Compostela started there. I was truly in a minority, since only one out of a hundred pilgrims started at the beginning of the Portuguese route in Lisbon. I was also in a minority as far as the time of the year I walked. The pilgrim office in Santiago received 41,620 pilgrims in June of 2017 and 35,345 in May. Compare those numbers to the mere 1,696 pilgrims processed at the office in February and the 5,176 in March.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all, I am thinking of walking from Porto using the inland route. I will walk from the end of January and am wondering will any/many other people be around at that time ? Failing that have any member ms any info which might be useful ?
Buen Camino,
John.
I walked the route in February this year. All of the Albergues were open and heated, there was quite a good number of pilgrims and I always shared the Albergues with other pilgrims.

I was also lucky with the weather. I walked the central route from Porto and never used my waterproofs once during the entire caminho. It was chilly in the morning and evenings but warm during the day, usually walking in a t-shirt. I would certainly walk at this time of the year again.

Bom caminho.

I walked the Coastal + Variante Espiritual in Jan this year. Enjoyed it a lot! Will be walking in winter again if there is a chance! The route is popular, the infrastructure is very good after Porto, and even out of season there will be people on the way. Some of the buisnessness might be closed for the winter so if you see an open bar and you are hungry then take your opportunity. I posted about my walk here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...r-those-who-consider-walking-in-winter.65099/ Make sure to take wanterproofs and also smth warm to chance into in the albergues as there heating might be tricky. Sleeping bag might be handy if you are staying in municipal albergues. Bom Camino! :)

It is extremely wet this year, so go assuming pretty heavy rain on most days. We had flooding, washouts, and torrential rain, and closing of the coastal route for several days in November, making the Central route from Porto a little busier....
I loved the central route —- went from Coimbra and found it well supported, but Inrecommend that people sensitive to the damp avoid the off season months in Portugal.
I loved my relative solitude on the CP, waking solo every day and meeting up with just a handful of people in the evenings.... But I did not love ending up hospitalized with tonsillitis from a combination of bad weather, mildew exposure and a run down immune system from 17 days walking in rain.
So.... just know it’s a tough year out there this winter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buen Camino,
John.
Hello. My name is Manny from Canada. I am thinking of walking the same route as well I should be starting somewhere around the 25 of January.. I haven’t decided yet if I want to Walk from Lisbon or Porto.. considering this year is very wet and it would be my first time on it I’m leaning towards Porto.

Keep me posted though u will either be a few days in front or behind !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back