• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese in July

Padre J

Am planning on doing the camino in july. This will be my first camino (and possibly only), and am very excited. But i only have 2 wks which means 11-12 walking days at most. I'd like to end up at santiago at the end, so i figured that the CP from porto was the best option.
A couple of questions that i hope you all could help me with.
Is it a good idea for a first-timer to choose the CP as one's first camino, or should one choose to do the more traditional, popular, safer and more well-travelled last part of the CF (maybe leon to santiago)? Or maybe even some other route?
I realize i'm going at the most crowded time of year (no other time i can go)-- is there a big problem w/ finding accomodations, overcrowding, racing for beds as i here happens on the CF this time of year?
Finally, i'm a catholic priest, and would like to say Mass every day on the camino-- do the chapels and churches on the camino let pilgrim priests stop in and do this kind of thing, or do i just say Mass wherever i can find a reasonable table?
Thanks and peace to all!
Santiago-- ruega por nostros!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola Padre J

You have a number of options for the time avaiable. In July most routes will be busier - of course the Camino Frances being the busiest. I'm sure other pilgrims on this forum will contribute their ideas for a perfect 11 - 12 day camino.

Your questions: Yes in my view the Camino Portuguese is very suitable for a first Camino. See the downloadable guide published by the CSJ http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

There will be other pilgrims on this route but there are albergues and different choices of stages. There are also hostals etc.

On this route I have no doubt you will experience the fellowship of the Camino - wonderful in itself. However the route does have draw backs - road walking, industrial areas. This isn't the prettiest and most serene route around.

A less thought of option for the time you have available would be to walk the Camino Ingles from Ferrol to Santiago in 5 days - you would recieve the Compostela. Then walk out to Finisterre and Muxia - the latter with its Marian shrine claiming to be the end to the religious pilgrimage. Both of these routes combined go through some of the most picturesque parts of Galicia. Again guides to both of these routes are available from http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

But there are other options - as you say starting further back on the Camino Frances, or the Via de la Plata - others will give their view.

As for Mass. In my experience the availability varies. I'm sure where there are churches with Mass in the evening you would be very welcome. I know the Camino Ingles more intimately and there is Mass available on each of the 5 days - listed in the Guide. But as you said you don't need a church for this and I am sure many pilgrims you meet would be pleased to share the experience with you.

Let us all know what you decide!

Buen Camino

John

I'd second Johnnie's comments on the drawbacks to the Camino Portuguese.

I can't speak of the Camino Ingles as I've not done it but from what JW says it looks an attractive option. My own preference would be to take 10 days or so on the Camino Frances as a first timer. It will be busy but you will experience a pilgrim community daily!

As for churches - when I was on the CP many were locked during the day.

Best wishes

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I realize i'm going at the most crowded time of year (no other time i can go)-- is there a big problem w/ finding accomodations, overcrowding, racing for beds as i here happens on the CF this time of year?

Granted, it's been awhile since I did the Caminho Portugues, but even in the "high" season, it was not crowded. We probably ran into 3 to 5 pilgrims on the busiest of days, but usually the road was empty. As for the albergues, should they fill up, there are pensions in most, if not every stop, on the route.

Finally, i'm a catholic priest, and would like to say Mass every day on the camino-- do the chapels and churches on the camino let pilgrim priests stop in and do this kind of thing, or do i just say Mass wherever i can find a reasonable table?

I can't speak to how the churches accommodate clergy on the route, but the ones that we did visit were welcoming (Esclavitude jumps to mind) and are happy to leave the church open a little later than usual, or keep it open to accommodate our visit. This was particularly the case in Caldas de Reis as well. I would just make sure they know you're a pilgrim versus a regular tourist.

I specifically chose the Caminho Portugues because of its close ties to the story of James. Santiagueño Monte in Iria Flavia/Padron is a pilgrimage within a pilgrimage that is well worth the trek.

Bom caminho,
Athena

Ola peregrinos!
Five more weeks and I'm starting the portughese camino (16th of July) from Porto to Santiago, after I walked the french way in 2006.
My goal is to arrive to Santiago for the fiesta, as I missed that last time (arrived in 27th of July).

Please help me with these:
- boots or walking shoes (I did the french way all the way with boots)
- aprox. budget for 12 days
- I plan to stay in albergues but couldn't find details for them (how many beds/albergues, is it croudy etc.)

Bon camino!
pilgrim

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,
I am not sure about the summer months. I walked in April from Porto to Santiago and there were very few pilgrims (2-12 at each albergue). Here are some of the stops that I made with costs of albergues.

Porto--3 of us in Pension 40 euros (13.30 each)
Rates--Albergue--donation
Barcelos--3 of us in Pension 40 euros (13.30 each)
Ponte de lima--youth hostel 10 euros per person
Valenca--Albergue --donation
Redondela--albergue -- 3euros
Pontevedra--albergue 3 euros
Padron--albergue 3 euros
Santiago--Pension 15 euros

I thought the meals were cheaper than in Spain.

I walked the Portuguese in New Balance Trail shoes and was very happy.
Much of the walking is on narrow asphalt roads.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for your answers!!!!
I'll start the camino in Porto probably around 16th of July, planed to arrive to Santiago for the fiesta. Do you think it's possible to make in in 10 days?
Buen camino!

pilgrim31 said:
Thanks for your answers!!!!
I'll start the camino in Porto probably around 16th of July, planed to arrive to Santiago for the fiesta. Do you think it's possible to make in in 10 days?
Buen camino!

Absolutely possible.

I walked from Barcelos in 6 days in winter 2004. Faster than normal but, from Porto is about 240 km, it shouldn't be difficult to walk it in 10 days.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some suggestions:

1 Porto – Vilarinho (or Vila do Conde) 27 kms
2 Vilarinho – Barcelos 27 kms
3 Barcelos – Ponte de Lima 33.5 kms
4 Ponte de Lima – Rubiães 20.5 kms
5 Rubiães – Valença or Tui 20 kms
6 Valença or Tui – Redondela 30 kms
7 Redondela – Pontevedra 20.5 kms
8 Pontevedra – Caldas de Reis 21.1 kms
9 Caldas de Reis – Padrón 17 kms
10 Padrón – Santiago 23.9 kms

The route out of Porto is almost entirely on the road. At times these roads are busy and considerable care needs to be taken. Some pilgrims choose to arrive in Porto and then take the Metro (or a bus) to Vila do Conde to join the route at Vilarinho.

From the CSJ Guide available free of charge : http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

JohnnieWalker, your plan seems very good, I'll follow that. Once again thanks for your suggestions.
Also would like to say thanks to Javier too.
Buen camino!
pilgrim31

Dear Peregrinos All,
I am so looking forward to walking once again, this my third Camino and my 10th anniversary of the Camino Frances. A couple of things: Johnnie Walker, I received a message from you that you were going to be in the pilgrims' office on the 25th (thanks for the download am sending donation). Can't find it to save my life. In my dreams? Anyway, hoping not so that we can meet. Also, Javier, que espero que podemos caminar juntos, si solo es un rato corto! Empeza desde la catedral el primero de July ("Canada Day!"). I'll be travelling slowly since a/ I have research to do, which is an excuse for b/ I am 10 years older!
Everyone else, so hoping to meet you too.
Tracy
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

Tambien, ya esta en espanol ver la pagina de web de http://www.editorialboveda.com
(Peregrinos de la Herejia)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We walked the Camino Portugues at the end of April and had been warned about the dangerous road out of Porto not only through the guide books but also by the tourist office. We took the metro to Vilar do Pinheiro which is not far from Mosteiro on the camino. This gave us a reasonable first day walk to Rates but the route from Mosteiro to Vilharino is not pleasant. One is confined to a busy road linking a string of villages, often with cobbles underfoot. Outside the villages this road is lined with high walls so it is difficult to see the surrounding countryside. The camino is much more attractive after Vilharino.

Priscillian said:
...Also, Javier, que espero que podemos caminar juntos, si solo es un rato corto! Empeza desde la catedral el primero de July ("Canada Day!"). I'll be travelling slowly since a/ I have research to do, which is an excuse for b/ I am 10 years older![/i]

It wil be great to walk with you!! Hopefully I will begin walking from Valenca about the 9th or 10th with my daughter, so I suppose it will take to us about 9-10 days. Why only un rato corto? El Camino de los trovadores es fantástico...

Before and after that, I will be during a few days in Fisterra.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

Ola peregrinos!
Definitly not a good sign: just got home from the ER. In the morning I realised that I have a tick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick) in my arm, probably got in it the woods where I do my training for the camino. Got and injection and antibiotics for 10 days.
It's my first adventure with this little creature, although have been tracking, camping all my life, specially in my scout's years. Hopefully we won't meet again very soon. The doctor said that I have all the chances to get another one any time :)

Best wishes to you all!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back