• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese in the slow lane...

Ewald Schmidt

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from Léon- 2011
Camino Portuguese June 2018
My wife and I are planning to walk the Portuguese Camino in June/ July 2018. It is the only time she will be able to do that, as a teacher during our long school holiday. I am an experienced hiker, she is not. I want to focus on her enjoying the Camino experience as much as possible, therefore we aim to do just about 10-15 km a day, starting at Porto to Santiago. (I would dearly love to walk on to Finisterre, but time will not allow it...)

We have about 18 days of walking available, and want to mostly stay on the Coastal route.

I have bought the newest Brierley Guide, but as a team we will not be able to do the distances the more fit and able pilgrims can manage.

We will cut every day in the Brierley guide in half where possible.

Can you help with suggestions for albergues, and other budget accommodation (that sounds better than "cheap lodgings...") in the smaller towns on the Coastal route?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Ewald
I’m taking a small group from The Lowveld Ramblers (Nelspruit and White River) on the Portuguese Coastal Route in Sep, and this is our itinerary, and the places we are staying, with the cost per person sharing in dorms or twin-bed rooms:

Starting in Porto:
Matosinhos,12kms, Fishtail Sea House (E19)
Angeiras,12kms, Orbitur Bungalows (email them for their Pilgrim Rate of about E10)
Póvoa de Varzim, 14kms, Sardines & Friends Hostel (E16)
Esposende, 20kms, Hostel Eleven (E14)
Viana do Castelo, 23kms, Orbitur Bungalows (email them for their Pilgrim Rate of about E8)
Vila Praia de Ancora, 22kms, Hostel d'Avenida (E16)
A Guarda (N.B. No Ferry On Mondays!), 16kms, Hotel Eli-Mar (E20)
Mougás, 20kms, Albergue Aguncheiro (E10)
Nigrán, 20kms, Pensión Venus (E20)
Vigo, 17kms, Hotel Oca Ipanema (E22.50)
Redondela, 16kms, Albergue A Conserveira (E12)
Pontevedra, 20kms, Hotel Rúas (E30)
Armenteira, 21kms, Albergue Armenteira (E6)
Vilanova de Arousa, 25kms, Albergue VN de Arousa (E6)
Padron (by boat), 3kms, Albergue Rossol (E14)
Milladoiro, 19kms, Albergue Milladoiro (E14)
Santiago, 7kms.

Hope that helps with your planning.
Jill

Hi there,

We are also starting in Porto, but have opt for the first few days on the Senda Litoral, cutting over to the Caminho Central at Rates.

Porto Catedal Se -starting point to Montosinhos Ponte 12.1km
Montosinhos Ponte to Vila Cha 14.6km
Vila Cha to Rates 21.8km
Rates (Soa Pedro de Rates) to Barcelos 16.3km
Barcelos to Lugar do Cargo 20km
Lugar do Cargo to Ponte de Lima 14.7km
Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes 18.6km
Rubiaes to Tui 20.3km
Tui (Spain) to Porrino 18.4km
Porrino to Redondela 16.1km
Redondela to Pontevedra 20.2km
Pontevedra to Caldas De Reis 22.2km
Caldas De Reis to Padron 19.1km
Padronto Santiago 25.6km

According to the Brierly guide, there are accommodation in all these places :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Budget lodging
From Porto to Matosinhos you will not find any budget lodging anyway not to Portuguese standards. An average hotel costs between 40 and 50€ per night

Matosinhos to Angeiras -Orbitur camping 10 to 17€ per person
Angeiras to Vila do Conde or Póvoa de Varzim both have albergues
VdC or Póvoa to Esposende. Two kms past Esposende is an albergue in Marinhas but the walking distance that day is 20kms +
Esposende to Viana do Castelo Albergue. Distance 20+ Kms
Viana to Vila Praia de Âncora Hotels or private rooms but mind it is holidayseason
Room costs around 40 to 50€ if available
Alternative. Walk on to Caminha where is an albergue or cross the river to Spain where in A Guarda is an albergue. Mind the distance from Viana is 20+ kms
A Guarda to Mougas. Albergue
Mougas to Baiona. Only rooms or hotels but + 5 kms alberugue in Nigrán
Nigrán to Vigo. Only hotels average 40€
Vigo to Redondela albergue. Advice walk 3 kms further to Cessantes where is the Refúxio de la Jérezana. Similar to an albergue with bunks. More quiet than the noisy busy smelly Redondela one.
Cessantes to Pontevedra. Albergue
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reís albergue but for about 20€ there is a privat albergue
,a hotel which offers rooms to pilgrims. Very comfortable
Caldas to Padrón. Albergue
Padrón to Santiago several albergues
In Galicia in between the bigger places you will find more albergues. Average costs for municipal albergues are auround 5€ .
I think your 18 days will do. If you are in lack of time ,skicp the first day from Porto to Matosinhos and start in Matosinhos and walk to Vila do Conde. Saves you some time.

Bom caminho

Wow! Some really great responses to your questions! With all the care and preparation you are taking for your camino, I'm sure it'll be a great journey.

There is a sheet containing places to sleep at https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...df-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.404/ , you might use that to find the excact accomodation along the coastal route. In the sheet we've also written the approximate distance between the cities, so it can also be helpfull in making the daily tours manageable.

bom caminho
Christian

If you stick to the (as opposed to the Coastal) Litoral you will find the walking much easier. We were able to cover those distances without a problem.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Ewald
I’m taking a small group from The Lowveld Ramblers (Nelspruit and White River) on the Portuguese Coastal Route in Sep, and this is our itinerary, and the places we are staying, with the cost per person sharing in dorms or twin-bed rooms:

Starting in Porto:
Angeiras,12kms, Orbitur Bungalows (email them for their Pilgrim Rate of about E10)
Viana do Castelo, 23kms, Orbitur Bungalows (email them for their Pilgrim Rate of about E8)
Santiago, 7kms.

Jill

Thanks Jill, this is extremely helpful, thanks!

Hi there,

We are also starting in Porto, but have opt for the first few days on the Senda Litoral, cutting over to the Caminho Central at Rates.

Vila Cha to Rates 21.8km
Rubiaes to Tui 20.3km
Padronto Santiago 25.6km

Thanks Mars! Helpful info, thanks!

My wife and I are planning to walk the Portuguese Camino in June/ July 2018. It is the only time she will be able to do that, as a teacher during our long school holiday. I am an experienced hiker, she is not. I want to focus on her enjoying the Camino experience as much as possible, therefore we aim to do just about 10-15 km a day, starting at Porto to Santiago. (I would dearly love to walk on to Finisterre, but time will not allow it...)

We have about 18 days of walking available, and want to mostly stay on the Coastal route.

I have bought the newest Brierley Guide, but as a team we will not be able to do the distances the more fit and able pilgrims can manage.

Can you help with suggestions for albergues, and other budget accommodation (that sounds better than "cheap lodgings...") in the smaller towns on the Coastal route?

Hi Ewald,
I was interested to see your post. My daughter is a teacher in Durban & is hoping to do the Camino at the same time from Porto. Have you booked you flights & with what airline?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Ewald

Starting in Porto:
Santiago, 7kms.

Jill
Jill, can you help me with a working email address for the Orbitur in Angeiras, I found infoangeiras@orbitur.pt. but it keeps bouncing back...

Hi Ewald,
I was interested to see your post. My daughter is a teacher in Durban & is hoping to do the Camino at the same time from Porto. Have you booked you flights & with what airline?

We are taking Qatar Airways to Madrid, two days in Madrid, then two days in Lisbon (want to go there by train) then a night at Porto, starting walking the 21st of June.

We also do not want to do it too fast... booked at Santiago and Finisterre at the end of our journey...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Christian!

Yes, as with my previous Camino I found this forum the best place to ask for advice, from the people who have walked the Walk!

Th
Budget lodging
From Porto to Matosinhos you will not find any budget lodging anyway not to Portuguese standards. An average hotel costs between 40 and 50€ per night

Matosinhos to Angeiras -Orbitur camping 10 to 17€ per person
Angeiras to Vila do Conde or Póvoa de Varzim both have albergues
VdC or Póvoa to Esposende. Two kms past Esposende is an albergue in Marinhas but the walking distance that day is 20kms +
Esposende to Viana do Castelo Albergue. Distance 20+ Kms
Viana to Vila Praia de Âncora Hotels or private rooms but mind it is holidayseason
Room costs around 40 to 50€ if available
Alternative. Walk on to Caminha where is an albergue or cross the river to Spain where in A Guarda is an albergue. Mind the distance from Viana is 20+ kms
A Guarda to Mougas. Albergue
Mougas to Baiona. Only rooms or hotels but + 5 kms alberugue in Nigrán
Nigrán to Vigo. Only hotels average 40€
Vigo to Redondela albergue. Advice walk 3 kms further to Cessantes where is the Refúxio de la Jérezana. Similar to an albergue with bunks. More quiet than the noisy busy smelly Redondela one.
Cessantes to Pontevedra. Albergue
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reís albergue but for about 20€ there is a privat albergue
,a hotel which offers rooms to pilgrims. Very comfortable
Caldas to Padrón. Albergue
Padrón to Santiago several albergues
In Galicia in between the bigger places you will find more albergues. Average costs for municipal albergues are auround 5€ .
I think your 18 days will do. If you are in lack of time ,skicp the first day from Porto to Matosinhos and start in Matosinhos and walk to Vila do Conde. Saves you some time.

Bom caminho
Thanks, also excellent advice, thanks Albertinho!

The problem is that the Caminho Portugues, unlike the Camino Frances, has longer stages, with no intermediate accommodation possibilities! Or - if they exist - are private and expensive. I'm sending you some sites, going to see where you could stop, but probably with more expensive accommodation! I wish you success and Buen Camino!
https://caminoways.com/ways/portuguese-coastal-way-caminho-da-costa/portuguese-coastal-way-full-walk
https://juliedawnfox.com/portfolio/coastal-portuguese-camino-de-santiago/
https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues
I would suggest you open google map and see which locations are BOTH suggested by sites. Then book on booking.com to look for a place to stay in those locations.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Jill, can you help me with a working email address for the Orbitur in Angeiras, I found infoangeiras@orbitur.pt. but it keeps bouncing back...

That's the email address I've been using, and have had no problems.

http://www.orbitur.com/en/destinations/region-north/orbitur-angeiras
Rua de Angeiras - Lavra
4455-039
Matosinhos
+351229 270 571
infoangeiras@orbitur.pt

The head office in Porto appears to be:
crp@orbitur.pt
Perhaps they could forward an email if you contact them?
Jill

I gues i find something good, the localities are close by! : http://www.wisepilgrim.com/camino_portugues_porto_to_redondela_the_coastal_route

The problem is that the Caminho Portugues, unlike the Camino Frances, has longer stages, with no intermediate accommodation possibilities! Or - if they exist - are private and expensive. I'm sending you some sites, going to see where you could stop, but probably with more expensive accommodation! I wish you success and Buen Camino!
https://caminoways.com/ways/portuguese-coastal-way-caminho-da-costa/portuguese-coastal-way-full-walk
https://juliedawnfox.com/portfolio/coastal-portuguese-camino-de-santiago/
https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues
I would suggest you open google map and see which locations are BOTH suggested by sites. Then book on booking.com to look for a place to stay in those locations.
Thanks Puiu, this is good advice, I appreciate your help!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And thanks, that is an excellent list to carry with us, thanks for your hard work to compile it!

I walked the central route in 17 stages, here is a link to my post. This is doable -- you will need some stages a bit longer though. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-central-any-advice-please.48953/#post-528828

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked the central route in 17 stages, here is a link to my post. This is doable -- you will need some stages a bit longer though. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-central-any-advice-please.48953/#post-528828
Thanks Lmsundaze! We are training 6 days a week, up to 4km at the moment, so I think we will be able to do a bit longer. We just live so far from any ocean that a coastal walk is part of our dream, But from Redondela your stages will be very helpful!

Well I can recommend one "in-between" place heartily. I recently posted a belated review of an albergue in Carreco, which was simple but beautifully designed and cared for. One walker I met liked it so much he spent a couple of extra days there. My post is in the forum dedicated to albergues.

By the way, I'm a huge fan of going slow, even if it doesn't get you all the way to the finish line. The journey being more important than the destination, and all that. That having been said, I have the luxury of returning and completing the walk.

Hi there,

Vila Cha to Rates 21.8km
Rubiaes to Tui 20.3km
Padronto Santiago 25.6km

This is the best Portuguese Camino (mix coastal-central). Sea and rural views and Ponte Lima-Rubiaes is a MUST.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I think I have used the same email address as yourself - infoangeiras@orbitur.pt

We ended up booking.com because we got so frustrated with lack of replies from them.

How did you get on in the end?
Sheena

Hi Ewald,
We are also from Durban, doing the Coastal route mid-June, we’re flying Emirates. We fly into Lisbon and then will catch a train to Porto.

Last edited:
Hi Ewald
We're from Durban. We plan to walk the Portuguese Coastal (actually mainly the Seaside route) from Vila Praia de Ancora in mid-June - we start walking on the 16th.

Our plan is:
Vila Praia de Ancora - staying at Albergaria Quim Barreiros
V P de Ancora => A Guarda 15kms (Hotel Vila da Guarda)
A Guarda => Oia 16kms (Casa Puertas)
Oia =>Baiona 18kms (Hotel Anunciada - 2 nights so we can go to see the Cies Islands)
Baiona => Vigo 21,5 kms (Hotel Compostela)
Vigo => Redondela 18kms (staying slightly off the Camino at Hostel Antolin)
Redondela => Vilaboa 8kms (staying slightly off the Camino at Hotel San Luis)
Vilaboa => Pontevedra 13kms (Hotel Rias Bajas - 2 night stay as Pontevedra seems a nice place to explore)
Pontevedra => Caldas de Reis 21.5 kms (staying at Balneario Acuna - there's a pilgrim special available)
Caldas de Reis => Padron 20km (Casa Rural - Os Lambrans)
Padron => Rua de Francos 9.5km (Casa Rural - Parada de Francos)
Rua de Francos => Santiago 11km (Hotel PR Libredon)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think I have used the same email address as yourself - infoangeiras@orbitur.pt

We ended up booking.com because we got so frustrated with lack of replies from them.

Sheena

Hi Sheena, you won't get the pilgrim rate on booking.com.

The pilgrim rate is 8 to 10 euros per person per night, depending on how many you are, and in which caravan or bungalow you stay.
Jill

Hi Sheena, you won't get the pilgrim rate on booking.com.

The pilgrim rate is 8 to 10 euros per person per night, depending on how many you are, and in which caravan or bungalow you stay.
Jill

Hi Jill.
Thanks for your message.
We realise that, but when I contacted the campsite directly, we could only have tents for the price you mention. We're getting two bedroomed cabins, to sleep 4 people for €71 (€17.75 ppn) which isn't too bad. The one bedroomed cabins, to sleep 2 people, are more expensive at €49.95 each (or24.77 ppn)
As we are an older group of pilgrims, we prefer (and often desperately need!) a little bit more comfort and privacy at the end of each day.
Kind regards. Sheena

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wise Pilgrim has a very good guidebook for both routes.

There are great resources on here too!
All the camino routes are now available as kmz files to download into maps.me (works on GPS) or Googlemaps. These were created by the wonderful Thomas, sorry if I've mis-spelled your name there.
Plus the wonderful printable maps by Luis Freixo!
We might never have the fun of being mis-placed again!
Sheena

This is the best Portuguese Camino (mix coastal-central). Sea and rural views and Ponte Lima-Rubiaes is a MUST.

Thanks so much! We are super excited and now more confident we made the right choice!

Sheena
Hi Sheena, we made contact and yes they do help pilgrims at 8 Euro per night, we have made a booking, thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back