• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese & Inglese

jay feick

Time of past OR future Camino
No caminos. Hiked Jesus Trail in Israel in 2013.
Camino Portuguese & Inglese 5/18
Has anyone taken a self guided tour which included lodging, baggage transfer, etc? I'm trying to decide if I should use their service or book my own. I start on 5/1/18 from Porto and 5/17 from Ferrol. I'm 72 years young. Thanks for any feedback.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Booking your own accommodation on both of these routes is very straightforward. The accommodation on both the Camino Inglés and the Camino Portugués is listed on booking.com. Arranging to have your luggage forwarded each day is equally easy. Promise :)

Booking your own accommodation on both of these routes is very straightforward. The accommodation on both the Camino Inglés and the Camino Portugués is listed on booking.com. Arranging to have your luggage forwarded each day is equally easy. Promise :)
Thanks Johnnie. What do you feel are the advantages of booking accommodations and baggage transfers myself Vs the self guided tour?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I reckon money unless you want to get rid of the filthy stuff:p:p:p plus you will also have a feeling of achievement that you did it all yourself. Whats not to like Buen camino

@jay feick the advantage of booking accommodation and luggage transfers yourself is that you can change your mind easily about how far you want to walk each day. Luggage transfers done yourself could not be more simple - every accommodation has a bunch of labels, you fill those in each morning with the name of the place to which you want the luggage transferred, it gets picked up and transferred and will be waiting for you at the place you nominated. Payment is either to the accommodation provider, or put inside the label (envelope type).

Most people only book one or at most two days ahead, except perhaps for known problem times and places - e.g. Santiago itself during the high season.

The other big advantage is that you save yourself a heap of money by doing it yourself. Some people are happy to pay money to tour providers and have a good experience. But even those realise pretty quickly that it is an unnecessary expense and even if happy don't plan to do it on a second camino.

I have also come across some very upset walkers who cannot walk the distances set by their tour companies and had to pay out extra money to catch taxis to their booked accommodation each day, and others who did not like the pre-arranged accommodation being off the camino, with transport to and from the camino each day. It prevented them from mixing with the other pilgrims.

Thanks Johnnie. What do you feel are the advantages of booking accommodations and baggage transfers myself Vs the self guided tour?
I'm younger than you (only 71!) and am walking the Camino Portugués next month and doing my own booking. Part of the reason is to save money, also I want flexibility in case I need a shorter or longer day or want to stay someplace longer, I can make changes as needed. As to baggage transfers, my plan is to carry everything myself -- my backpack is only 4.5 k (10 pounds) without water, but if there is a difficult section or if I need to so there is the option to send it on ahead.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome Jay! (I'm originally from Sacramento) I would have trouble walking without my (very light) pack because I would be afraid that I didn't have some essential item with me when I needed it such as my first aid kit, or my coat, or rain gear or who knows what. For me it would be one thing that I could not control. As far as booking ahead I have done that on occasion but my preference is to walk until I feel like stopping. Sometimes the terrain or weather makes for a difficult day and sometimes a town seems beautiful and welcoming so I stop. Other days it is beautiful and I just feel like walking. Many of the Portuguese people speak English and all the Portuguese seem very helpful. I have never felt the need to have things arranged too far ahead because communication is normally pretty easy. Lastly it is much cheaper to take care of thing on your own. One last thought. If you are on a prearranged trip you do not get to choose your daily companions. You may be walking each day with some people that you just don't bond with very well. If you are walking on your own it might be easier to meet and walk with different people.

Bom Caminho!

Welcome Jay! (I'm originally from Sacramento) I would have trouble walking without my (very light) pack because I would be afraid that I didn't have some essential item with me when I needed it such as my first aid kit, or my coat, or rain gear or who knows what. For me it would be one thing that I could not control. As far as booking ahead I have done that on occasion but my preference is to walk until I feel like stopping. Sometimes the terrain or weather makes for a difficult day and sometimes a town seems beautiful and welcoming so I stop. Other days it is beautiful and I just feel like walking. Many of the Portuguese people speak English and all the Portuguese seem very helpful. I have never felt the need to have things arranged too far ahead because communication is normally pretty easy. Lastly it is much cheaper to take care of thing on your own. One last thought. If you are on a prearranged trip you do not get to choose your daily companions. You may be walking each day with some people that you just don't bond with very well. If you are walking on your own it might be easier to meet and walk with different people.

Bom Caminho!
Thanks Mike. Great response and truly appreciated. I plan to carry a day pack for many of the reasons you stated.
Before I make a final decision I hope to hear from people who have done a self guided tour booked thru one of the tour Company's.
Best Regards, Jay

I'm younger than you (only 71!) and am walking the Camino Portugués next month and doing my own booking. Part of the reason is to save money, also I want flexibility in case I need a shorter or longer day or want to stay someplace longer, I can make changes as needed. As to baggage transfers, my plan is to carry everything myself -- my backpack is only 4.5 k (10 pounds) without water, but if there is a difficult section or if I need to so there is the option to send it on ahead.
Actually I'm 71 now but will be 72 later this year and long before my Camino in May. Thanks for your helpful feedback. I do plan to carry a day pack in addition to having the heavier stuff transferred daily.
Before I make a final decision I hope to hear from people who have used one of the Camino tour Company's for lodging and baggage transfers. I hope you have a beautiful and fulfilling time on your Camino.
Best Regards, Jay

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I reckon money unless you want to get rid of the filthy stuff:p:p:p plus you will also have a feeling of achievement that you did it all yourself. Whats not to like Buen camino
Thanks Kieran. I appreciate your thoughts. Before I make a decision I hope to hear from folks who have used one of the Camino Tour Company's on a self guided tour.
Best Regards,
Jay

@jay feick the advantage of booking accommodation and luggage transfers yourself is that you can change your mind easily about how far you want to walk each day. Luggage transfers done yourself could not be more simple - every accommodation has a bunch of labels, you fill those in each morning with the name of the place to which you want the luggage transferred, it gets picked up and transferred and will be waiting for you at the place you nominated. Payment is either to the accommodation provider, or put inside the label (envelope type).

Most people only book one or at most two days ahead, except perhaps for known problem times and places - e.g. Santiago itself during the high season.

The other big advantage is that you save yourself a heap of money by doing it yourself. Some people are happy to pay money to tour providers and have a good experience. But even those realise pretty quickly that it is an unnecessary expense and even if happy don't plan to do it on a second camino.

I have also come across some very upset walkers who cannot walk the distances set by their tour companies and had to pay out extra money to catch taxis to their booked accommodation each day, and others who did not like the pre-arranged accommodation being off the camino, with transport to and from the camino each day. It prevented them from mixing with the other pilgrims.
Thanks Kanga. Very helpful and much appreciated. Before I make a final decision I'm hoping to hear from folks you have used one of the tour Company's.
Happy trails, Jay

I think carrying a day pack and sending another pack forward could work quite well. Many albergues are familiar with the service offered by Tuitrans to send bags forward and many people use the service without being part of a prearranged tour.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Has anyone taken a self guided tour which included lodging, baggage transfer, etc? I'm trying to decide if I should use their service or book my own. I start on 5/1/18 from Porto and 5/17 from Ferrol. I'm 72 years young. Thanks for any feedback.

77 and still walking - just finished stage and accommodation planning - Porto to Muxia.
A struggle at times but satisfying. Mixed accommodation - dorms and privates. Booking.com is useful so is Wise Pilgrim and just messing around.
In 2 weeks the adventure begins - Plan A? or Plan B (go with the flow).
Enjoy the trip from the initial thought to walking the Way.

When all is read and done do continue to enjoy your journey by sharing your memories on this forum!

Carpe diem and Buen camino!

77 and still walking - just finished stage and accommodation planning - Porto to Muxia.
A struggle at times but satisfying. Mixed accommodation - dorms and privates. Booking.com is useful so is Wise Pilgrim and just messing around.
In 2 weeks the adventure begins - Plan A? or Plan B (go with the flow).
Enjoy the trip from the initial thought to walking the Way.
Wow Barb, awesome! Still hoping to hear from people who have used a tour company for the interior Camino in Portugal as well as the Camino Inglese but meanwhile I will look closely at Booking.com and Wise Pilgrim as well as the Tuitrans luggage service.
I prefer private vs dorm. I noticed, when booking my first 3 nights in Porto, that with Expedia I can book now but cancel 48 hours before arrival with no cost at most of the lodging they offer. I'll look into your recommendations and see what their flexibility is.
Thanks very much. Jay

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When all is read and done do continue to enjoy your journey by sharing your memories on this forum!

Carpe diem and Buen camino!
Will do and thank you. J

Actually I'm 71 now but will be 72 later this year and long before my Camino in May. Thanks for your helpful feedback. I do plan to carry a day pack in addition to having the heavier stuff transferred daily.
Before I make a final decision I hope to hear from people who have used one of the Camino tour Company's for lodging and baggage transfers. I hope you have a beautiful and fulfilling time on your Camino.
Best Regards, Jay
Hi Jay - remember age is just a number - why don't you try winging it first and see how you get along - carrying your pack might end up being walk in the park!!!! Enjoy every step - the Portuguese is a delightful camino and really the people along the way are just great and very helpful and generous - Bom camino

Hi Johnnie, about how much can I expect to pay on average on the interior Camino Portuguese for each meal? I eat hearty for breakfast and lunch but a moderate meal for dinner. Thanks, Jay

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Johnnie, another question if you don't mind...
If I'm staying in hotels how do I get my Camino card stamped to prove I walked the route?
Thanks, Jay

Johnnie, another question if you don't mind...
If I'm staying in hotels how do I get my Camino card stamped to prove I walked the route?
Thanks, Jay

Jay, most hotels, if not all, along the route have stamps. Bars, cafes, churches, hotels, B&B, ...and more have stamps. If your hotel is one of the very few that does not have a stamp, stop at the first cafe or bar and get stamped.

Walked the Ingles this spring. Loved it.

Hi Johnnie, about how much can I expect to pay on average on the interior Camino Portuguese for each meal? I eat hearty for breakfast and lunch but a moderate meal for dinner. Thanks, Jay

Jay, eating in Portugal is not that expensive. Good meals for a reasonable price. Sorry I can not give you a "average" price. That would depend on what you eat and where you eat.

The food in Portugal is great. I mostly ate menu of the day.
Could not get enough of the coffee and pastry.

Best Regards, Jay

Jay, I am over 70. I walked the Ingles in the spring of this year and the Portuguese this year. From O Porto to Santiago.

I did not use a forwarding service. I carried my pack the entire way. Had a small one person tent in it. Made by REI. I used the tent at a few places. Nice to have my own "room" to get away from the snoring and bag packers at the crack of dawn.

I used a camel bak bag system for water and loved it. No issues with it.

Stayed in some A'bergs and small hotels. Even stayed in a room for rent in a house.

Enjoy. Good luck

Wow Barb, awesome! Still hoping to hear from people who have used a tour company for the interior Camino in Portugal as well as the Camino Inglese but meanwhile I will look closely at Booking.com and Wise Pilgrim as well as the Tuitrans luggage service.
I prefer private vs dorm. I noticed, when booking my first 3 nights in Porto, that with Expedia I can book now but cancel 48 hours before arrival with no cost at most of the lodging they offer. I'll look into your recommendations and see what their flexibility is.
Thanks very much. Jay
Booking.com also offers free cancellation on many of the lodgings on their site. They also often have a larger variety of the smaller, privatly owned places to stay, such as private albergues, casa rurals, bed and breakfasts, hostals and pensiones, in addition to hotels. Expedia.com and hotels.com, to name a few, cater more to standard hotels in general. I have found that for European countries, booking.com has better options for lodging along the Camino, especially in the smaller towns and villages along the way.

Hola - as has been said stamps for your pilgrim passport are available everywhere - hotels, hostals, churches, restaurants, bars etc.

Restaurants in Portugal and Spain offer the Menu of the Day - this was introduced by Franco to provide a low cost meal to workers. You can therefore have a three course meal with bread and a drink for around 10 euros - often less. You may also choose a la carte of course.

John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Has anyone taken a self guided tour which included lodging, baggage transfer, etc?

Hi Jay
Not a lot of people on this forum pay for a self-guided tour package, so you may not get many replies to that question.

We see no point in paying someone else to book the accommodation and baggage transfer when it’s so easy to do it all yourself.

But if you feel more comfortable for someone else to book it all for you, and you are happy with their fees, then go for it.
Jill

Hi Jay
Not a lot of people on this forum pay for a self-guided tour package, so you may not get many replies to that question.

We see no point in paying someone else to book the accommodation and baggage transfer when it’s so easy to do it all yourself.

But if you feel more comfortable for someone else to book it all for you, and you are happy with their fees, then go for it.
Jill
Adding to what Jill said, if you are on Facebook there are some Facebook groups on the Camino and perhaps there you would be more likely to find people who have used tours.

Jay, ditto what Jill, Lmsundaze and Johnny told you.

Pack super light. Get a good light weight pack. After you packed, go back few days later and re pack it. Objective is to cut things, anything, you do not/will not need.
Actually took me years to perfect packing light.

I would not use a company to make sleeping arrangements. I would not use a forwarding company.
If you want to forward something, i.e. bag, box etc, then do it on a case-by-case basis. From where you are to where you know you will be next. Or get good at packing light and you will not need to forward.

I have never in my life been somewhere where there was not room/bed to be had.

The suggestion of using booking.com is right on. I also found booking.com is one of the best resources to find a place. Even if the day, or two days, before heading that town/city.

Most A'bergs will find you somewhere to sleep. Especially at your age (and I am older than you) they will help out.

Using a tour company is a waste of your money and even time. As you walk you will learn day by day. And meet others who are willing to help and tell you the ropes.

Good luck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola - as has been said stamps for your pilgrim passport are available everywhere - hotels, hostals, churches, restaurants, bars etc.

Restaurants in Portugal and Spain offer the Menu of the Day - this was introduced by Franco to provide a low cost meal to workers. You can therefore have a three course meal with bread and a drink for around 10 euros - often less. You may also choose a la carte of course.

John
Hi Johnnie, after our Camino thru Portugal we want to start another Camino as we will have about 12 more days. What do you recommend in May? We looked at Camino Inglese and a portion of Camino de Invierno from Chantada, Spain (about 108 km from Santiago) but we are having difficulty figuring out how to get from Santiago to Chantada.

Finding, and advance booking of accommodations is easily done on your own without the need of paying the expense of a tour company. My wife (71) and I (72) walked from Porto to Santiago in May of this year. We stayed in a combination of public and private albergues, and occasionally in hotels. We only booked ahead after Tui when the route became more crowded, and when we did book ahead it was usually done only early in the day when we knew where we'd be stopping. (Exception: We booked ahead for our room in Porto before we started and also at Casa Fernanda in Lugar de Corgo. BTW, we highly recommend the latter.) We used booking.com for hotels, but all of our private albergues were booked from telephone numbers listed in the Brierley guidebook or on signs posted along the way. As others have said, it's easy to arrange backpack transport from the albergue or hotel each morning. After the first day or two, you'll be an old hand at this and your worries about accommodation will disappear.

We included the list of our accommodations in an earlier thread here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-portugues-itinerary.48539/#post-522607

Bom Caminho!
Jim

Hi Jay.
My first two Caminos (the French and the Portuguese) were booked with travel companies.
The French with Map Travel and the PC with CaminoWays and Map Travel.
I can recommend their services wholeheartedly, and they give you a certain amount of backup, but you will save a substantial amount of money booking everything yourself.
Using them for the first two trips gave us much more confidence in having a go ourselves.

This year a friend and I, organised walking the Camino Ingles ourselves. It took a little while to get everything in place, but it was quite easy to do.
If you search under my name, I think our itinerary should still be on here somewhere.

In fact one of our group thought that because my friend and I had personally chosen the accommodation, it was the best of the three walks he had been on.
Maybe it was too good, as I have now been given the task of organising the Portuguese Coastal Camino for next year!

We stayed in a mixture of small hotels, hostels, Rural Casa and pensions, leaving the dormitories free for the younger crowd!
The accommodation bookings were made through a combination of booking sites and some personal emails to the very small places.
We booked our own airport to hotel minibus transfers and used the Correos Pac Mochila service for our luggage transfers.
As we have only a small amount of Spanish, Google Translate, came in very useful.
Because we're all older pilgrims like yourself, we planned our own route with shorter walking days. This is something the travel companies in general seem unable to do.

Our itinerary for the Portuguese Coastal Camino looks something like this, but is still being developed, and once again, we will make all our bookings in advance.

Porto - Matoshinos (along the River Douro) 12kms
Matoshinos - Vila Cha - 10kms
Vila Cha - Porvoa de Varzim - 15kms
P do V - Apulia - 13kms
Apulia - Esposende - 10kms
Esposende - O Castelo de Neiva - 10kms
C de N - Viana do Castelo - 11kms
V do C - Vila Prai de Ancora - -18kms
VP de A - Caminha - 6kms only to allow for ferry crossing and walking up to see Santa de Tecla
A Guarda - Oia - 13kms
Oia - Baiona - 18kms
Baiona - Playa de Samil - 18kms
P de Samil - Vigo - 12kms
Vigo - Cessantes - 16kms

As we've walked into Santiago de Compostela a few times, we will then take the train from Redondela into the city.
Hoping to have a couple,of free days there, maybe take a bus trip to Finisterra on one of them.

Hope you find this useful.
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow, thank you. When you used the travel co's did they tell you upfront which hotels you would be using? If so, where they hotels the same as what they told you?
The operator you mentioned is not willing to name the hotels up front but another operator is willing.
From Porto to Santiago which places gave you the best memories?
When we finish Porto to Santiago we have time for another short Camino. There are many last 100 km choices. What do you recommend and please expand on your favorite.
Sounds like you are seasoned vets and have gained confidence after experience. I hope we achieve that confidence and have future opportunities to do this!

Hi Jay.
My first two Caminos (the French and the Portuguese) were booked with travel companies.
The French with Map Travel and the PC with CaminoWays and Map Travel.
I can recommend their services wholeheartedly, and they give you a certain amount of backup, but you will save a substantial amount of money booking everything yourself.
Using them for the first two trips gave us much more confidence in having a go ourselves.

This year a friend and I, organised walking the Camino Ingles ourselves. It took a little while to get everything in place, but it was quite easy to do.
If you search under my name, I think our itinerary should still be on here somewhere.

In fact one of our group thought that because my friend and I had personally chosen the accommodation, it was the best of the three walks he had been on.
Maybe it was too good, as I have now been given the task of organising the Portuguese Coastal Camino for next year!

We stayed in a mixture of small hotels, hostels, Rural Casa and pensions, leaving the dormitories free for the younger crowd!
The accommodation bookings were made through a combination of booking sites and some personal emails to the very small places.
We booked our own airport to hotel minibus transfers and used the Correos Pac Mochila service for our luggage transfers.
As we have only a small amount of Spanish, Google Translate, came in very useful.
Because we're all older pilgrims like yourself, we planned our own route with shorter walking days. This is something the travel companies in general seem unable to do.

Our itinerary for the Portuguese Coastal Camino looks something like this, but is still being developed, and once again, we will make all our bookings in advance.

Porto - Matoshinos (along the River Douro) 12kms
Matoshinos - Vila Cha - 10kms
Vila Cha - Porvoa de Varzim - 15kms
P do V - Apulia - 13kms
Apulia - Esposende - 10kms
Esposende - O Castelo de Neiva - 10kms
C de N - Viana do Castelo - 11kms
V do C - Vila Prai de Ancora - -18kms
VP de A - Caminha - 6kms only to allow for ferry crossing and walking up to see Santa de Tecla
A Guarda - Oia - 13kms
Oia - Baiona - 18kms
Baiona - Playa de Samil - 18kms
P de Samil - Vigo - 12kms
Vigo - Cessantes - 16kms

As we've walked into Santiago de Compostela a few times, we will then take the train from Redondela into the city.
Hoping to have a couple,of free days there, maybe take a bus trip to Finisterra on one of them.

Hope you find this useful.
Buen Camino!
Sheena, its Jay again. My first reply got cut off.
Thank you very much for sharing!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow, thank you. When you used the travel co's did they tell you upfront which hotels you would be using? If so, where they hotels the same as what they told you?
The operator you mentioned is not willing to name the hotels up front but another operator is willing.
From Porto to Santiago which places gave you the best memories?
When we finish Porto to Santiago we have time for another short Camino. There are many last 100 km choices. What do you recommend and please expand on your favorite.
Sounds like you are seasoned vets and have gained confidence after experience. I hope we achieve that confidence and have future opportunities to do this!

Hi Jay.
I answer to your questions -
'Map Travel' are a Dublin company.'
I don't think they let us know the hotel names until we were nearly ready to travel. This is something we didn't like about them, as there was little time to make alternative choices by then. Some of their hotel choices weren't as good as Camino Ways.

Camino Ways were somewhat similar in divulging accommodation, but if you go on their website, and choose any Camino as though you're making a booking, you will be able to see more information about the accommodation they normally use.

https://caminoways.com/ways/portugu...a-costa/portuguese-coastal-way-full-walk/book

In both cases the hotel's were exactly as we were told, except one in Santiago which turned out to be full. We were only told this the week before we were travelling. However, we were upgraded to a FIVE STAR instead. A lovely treat indeed!

We have used several of their choices in planning both this year and for next. With us being a group of about a dozen older folk, we prefer to plan ahead. Don't think I could wing it anyway!

I must say that Camino Ways staff have personally vetted the hotel's they use, whereas I don't think Map Travel have. Last year when I was researching accommodation, they did help me choose some nice places by personal email.

As for the last 100 kms -
Camino Frances -
Sarria to Santiago was our first, but I think it's much too busy.

Camino Ingles -
Ferrol to Santiago is more than 100kms and has some knee wrenching hills, but is extremely beautiful. The benefits of being by the sea for some of the time and beautiful rural villages as well.
We managed it in 36 degree heat and me with shingles!
Still part of the CI - I think the distance may be shorter from A Coruna to Santiago

I'm not sure about the distance, but how about Finisterra?
Please don't throw away your walking shoes - you'll need them for your next Camino!

Memories-
In no particular order -
1.Porto is amazing! The city is wonderful. The people are so friendly and helpful. They took great care of my husband he arrived injured in 2016 and couldn't walk a single step. Hence our return next year.

2.The beaches and boardwalks!

3.A Guarda - If you have time to walk up the hill, Monte Santa Tecla Celtic Village is one of my favourite memories. Apart from the stunning view back along the Portuguese coast, the village is one of the best preserved in the world.

4.Portuguese and Spanish food and drink!
5.Learning both languages enough to get by.

We have also gained lots of invaluable information from this website and other folks good and bad experiences. Everyone is so kind.

Would love to know what you decide in the end.
Sheena

Attachments

• IMG_0926.PNG
    IMG_0926.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
PS.
In addition to the well known booking sites etc mentioned above, I've also used Google Maps, maps.me, Mitchelin Maps and Street Maps to search for accommodation.

They have often had places show up the maps that haven't been listed on the booking sites.
Sheena

Hi Jay.
I answer to your questions -
'Map Travel' are a Dublin company.'
I don't think they let us know the hotel names until we were nearly ready to travel. This is something we didn't like about them, as there was little time to make alternative choices by then. Some of their hotel choices weren't as good as Camino Ways.

Camino Ways were somewhat similar in divulging accommodation, but if you go on their website, and choose any Camino as though you're making a booking, you will be able to see more information about the accommodation they normally use.

https://caminoways.com/ways/portugu...a-costa/portuguese-coastal-way-full-walk/book

In both cases the hotel's were exactly as we were told, except one in Santiago which turned out to be full. We were only told this the week before we were travelling. However, we were upgraded to a FIVE STAR instead. A lovely treat indeed!

We have used several of their choices in planning both this year and for next. With us being a group of about a dozen older folk, we prefer to plan ahead. Don't think I could wing it anyway!

I must say that Camino Ways staff have personally vetted the hotel's they use, whereas I don't think Map Travel have. Last year when I was researching accommodation, they did help me choose some nice places by personal email.

As for the last 100 kms -
Camino Frances -
Sarria to Santiago was our first, but I think it's much too busy.

Camino Ingles -
Ferrol to Santiago is more than 100kms and has some knee wrenching hills, but is extremely beautiful. The benefits of being by the sea for some of the time and beautiful rural villages as well.
We managed it in 36 degree heat and me with shingles!
Still part of the CI - I think the distance may be shorter from A Coruna to Santiago

I'm not sure about the distance, but how about Finisterra?
Please don't throw away your walking shoes - you'll need them for your next Camino!

Memories-
In no particular order -
1.Porto is amazing! The city is wonderful. The people are so friendly and helpful. They took great care of my husband he arrived injured in 2016 and couldn't walk a single step. Hence our return next year.

2.The beaches and boardwalks!

3.A Guarda - If you have time to walk up the hill, Monte Santa Tecla Celtic Village is one of my favourite memories. Apart from the stunning view back along the Portuguese coast, the village is one of the best preserved in the world.

4.Portuguese and Spanish food and drink!
5.Learning both languages enough to get by.

We have also gained lots of invaluable information from this website and other folks good and bad experiences. Everyone is so kind.

Would love to know what you decide in the end.
Sheena
Sheena, you are a real blessing. Thank you. What month did you do the Camino Inglese and what month the Santiago to Finisterra?

We have our first 2.5 days in Portoband so we'll definitely check out your recommendations!
So, we'll walk from Porto toSantiago from 1-14 May. Then how long do you recommend in Santiago? Once we leave Santiago - most likely to Finisterra & Muxie we will still have 5 days before we depart from Porto to NoCA. What would you do with those 5 days?
Thanks for all your experience and willingness to share it! Look forward to more.
Regards, Jay

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sheena, you are a real blessing. Thank you. What month did you do the Camino Inglese and what month the Santiago to Finisterra?

We have our first 2.5 days in Portoband so we'll definitely check out your recommendations!
So, we'll walk from Porto toSantiago from 1-14 May. Then how long do you recommend in Santiago? Once we leave Santiago - most likely to Finisterra & Muxie we will still have 5 days before we depart from Porto to NoCA. What would you do with those 5 days?
Thanks for all your experience and willingness to share it! Look forward to more.
Regards, Jay

Regards, Jay

Hi Jay.
You're very welcome!
So many people have helped us in our endeavours, it's so good to finally give something back, so to speak.

I think you will enjoy the couple of days you spend in Porto at the beginning of your visit.
There is so much to see and do, you'll be spoilt for choice.
Just google 'Porto' and off you go!

We've walked our previous Caminos in early June, while the good weather is nearly guaranteed it can be rather warm, especially this year.
Next year, I'm hoping to convince the rest of our chums to walk in early May. Maybe we'll bump into each other.

The last couple of times we've stayed in Santiago a couple of days, but we've fallen in love with the city and keep going back for more. Hopefully next year, we'll have about three days to explore and travel to Finisterra.

You are so lucky to have another five days to spend in Spain/Portugal.
I'm not sure what I would do, maybe the good folk on here might have some suggestions for you.

I can only say that I've never been on the River Douro boat trip or spent time in Lisbon, so that might be an idea to think about.

I do hope you enjoy your planning as much as I have and that your Camino is fulfilling for you.

Perhaps you'll be writing about your experiences somewhere, I'll be looking out for you.

Bom Caminho and Buen Camino!
Sheena

Hi Jay.
You're very welcome!
So many people have helped us in our endeavours, it's so good to finally give something back, so to speak.

I think you will enjoy the couple of days you spend in Porto at the beginning of your visit.
There is so much to see and do, you'll be spoilt for choice.
Just google 'Porto' and off you go!

We've walked our previous Caminos in early June, while the good weather is nearly guaranteed it can be rather warm, especially this year.
Next year, I'm hoping to convince the rest of our chums to walk in early May. Maybe we'll bump into each other.

The last couple of times we've stayed in Santiago a couple of days, but we've fallen in love with the city and keep going back for more. Hopefully next year, we'll have about three days to explore and travel to Finisterra.

You are so lucky to have another five days to spend in Spain/Portugal.
I'm not sure what I would do, maybe the good folk on here might have some suggestions for you.

I can only say that I've never been on the River Douro boat trip or spent time in Lisbon, so that might be an idea to think about.

I do hope you enjoy your planning as much as I have and that your Camino is fulfilling for you.

Perhaps you'll be writing about your experiences somewhere, I'll be looking out for you.

Bom Caminho and Buen Camino!
Sheena
Thanks Shenna. Yea, it would've awesome to see you in May! We are walking the interior from Porto by thinking about the spiritual variant. Know anything about that? J

Good morning Jay.
At least it is here!
Not sure of the time difference for yourself.

Given that you're walking the inland route, sadly I don't think our paths will cross. We will be on the Coastal/Senda Littoral routes as our itinerary above.

If we manage this, we'll nearly have walked from tip to toe of the Iberian Penninsula!

As to the Spiritual Variant, I know very little about it but there is a great section on this site about it. I think you'll find it on page two under Portuguese Camino in the Camino Forum Pages. Just scroll down the first page.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/variante-espiritual.35829/

And discussions -
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/variante-espiritual.35970/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...endations-about-the-variant-espiritual.47604/

It does sound lovely.
S

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back