• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese - Litoral and Coastal

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to Finistere (2016), Primitivo - Oviedo to Muxcia (2017), Norte to Finisterre (2018)
Live from the Camino Portugese (and my first significant post after years of stalking the Forum!)

I planned to walk the Invierno, however, the heatwave that hit Spain compounded what I thought was already going to be a challenging Camino. With many good wishes from Camino veterans, I pivoted just before flying out and arrived in Porto in time to start walking on the 14th.

I primarily stuck to the Camino Litoral, as the weather was cooler. Also of note, I found myself very Covid-conscious and, contrary to prior Caminos, sought out smaller rooms with fewer beds or single rooms (preferably in albergues). Clearly this added to the budget, however, it also added to the peace of mind. Many properties with dormitories posted photos of single or smaller rooms, but these weren’t necessarily listed as an option for booking. A phone call verified their existence, and the ability to reserve my space. After a discouraging start to “just showing up” (as on prior caminos), I began booking a day ahead. I was surprised to find in any instances my first or second choice property was already “completo” and ended up reserving several days ahead. This is a busy Camino!
My notes and stages as follows…

Day 0 - I arrived in Porto on Friday morning the 13th. While I initially thought I would spend a quiet day in Porto recovering from jet lag, I ended up walking over 8 miles around town in order to stay awake! To do it again, I would simply head out from the Cathedral and start my Camino!

There is much conversation about how to get out of Porto. In fact, one can get the credential stamp at the Cathedral, walk down to the river and turn right! I walked out of town on a wide Esplanade adjacent the river and the Atlantic. I was joined by mothers with babies, bicyclists, and joggers for quite some time until the Esplanade gave away to the famous boardwalks. No need to take a metro!

Day 1 - I arrived in Vila do Conte and was disappointed to realize 1) many of the reference guides regarding accommodations are out of date (SO many permanent closures!), and 2) the city was “completo”. Delightful Alfredo at the equally delightful and well-located Princesa do Ave Resedencias spent a good hour on the phone and the computer trying to find a place for me to sleep. He finally settled on Casa Matriz in Fao (20km away!) He arranged for the taxi pick me up and delivered me into the warm embrace of Rita whose hospitality gives evidence to the fact “the Camino provides”!

Day 2 - The next morning I took the taxi back to Princesa do Ave and walked the 20 km back to Fao. Mostly boardwalks and lovely beaches, however, don’t miss the seafood restaurants right along the Camino before you enter Fao. Even if you aren’t ready for a meal, stop somewhere for a fabulous seafood soup!

Day 3 - A bit of single track broke up the routine of the boardwalk, but this is definitely a hard track Camino! Casa de Carolina in Anha offered a small room with four beds. Lucky for us, Carolina‘s grandmother made a fabulous vegetable soup which we were all able to enjoy for dinner!

Day 4 - Boardwalks, cobblestones, and a bit of Old Roman Road greeted me on my first venture into the Coastal Route. There was some greenery, but I was happy to arrive at the beautiful Quinta da Quinhaus in Vila Praia de Ancira. While there is a small cafe nearby, the owner will pick you up at the local grocery store and I encourage you to bring provisions up to their beautifully appointed co-worker farm and it’s a very well-appointed kitchen

Day 5 - Back on the Litoral and more boardwalks, I walked up to Caminah to catch the water taxi across to Spain. There were plenty of water taxis here (and further south). More boardwalks and beautiful ocean views before I stopped at La Cala in Oia, well deserving of its reputation as “the jewel of the Portuguese”.

Day 6 - Beautiful walk through Baiona, a little bit a forest and back to the boardwalk. Walked through to Ramalossa and stayed at Pazo Pias. While there was no sign of nuns, the property is lovely, peaceful and efficiently managed by a delightful devoted staff. Very nice tapas bars nearby.

Day 7- Beautiful beach walking along an Esplanade adjacent public beaches. A nice glimpse of why people live here - public pools, beautiful facilities, skating rinks, gardens …. This ultimately gave way to the inevitable industrial entrance into Vigo. I had initially planned a rest day in Vigo, all the moreso since my feet were in tatters after all the hard track. I was encouraged to live large, and stayed at Puertas Gambos for two nights. The warm welcome by the managing family is exactly what I needed, and the location and elegant room were a real treat.

Day 8 - I had initially planned to visit Isla Cies. This visit was very easy to execute: 1) obtain permission from the governing authority to visit the island, 2) purchase your ferry ticket. While I still logged 4.5 miles, I also spent several hours airing my feet on the beach and soaking them in the crystal clear, cold, turquoise blue waters. Puerta Gamboa offered warm welcome at my return.

Day 9 - Back on the Camino with renewed feet and vigor. A surprising treat after exiting Vigo… a higher trail overlooking the bay that seemed to go on for miles. Maybe my best day so far! I stopped in Rendolate which made for a short day, however it seems prudent. A Conserveira offered a decent enough room, but overpriced relative to others.

Day 10 - Another fabulous walk on trails with forest! I stayed in Pontevedra at the lovely Acola Rooms (vs Alcoa Albergue or Alcoa Sport - both of which seemed lovely, too.)

Day 11 - A straightforward path out of town. I was surprised at the sense of relief I felt when I turned left to pursue the Spiritual Variant. Even after the forest yielded to asphalt again, and there was a significant climb up to the Mirador, I felt as though I was on a different Camino. A wonderful forest walk took me to the exquisite monastery at Armenteria. While there were no meals offered onsite, the peace of the sisters, the space and the gardens were priceless.

Day 12 - A very special walk out of Armenteria. Brierly declares it is the longest single pathway of any Camino. I declare it absolutely magical – flat, adjacent to the river, shaded, passing small family farms and vineyards, birds and frogs the only sound. Inevitably, it give way to the asphalt, though small family farms and vineyards offered some distraction. Ultimately I was on the hard packed sand into Vilanova where I checked into the new, very nice Albergue a Salazon in Vilanova de Arousa.

Day 13 - Currently awaiting my boat to Padron, but posting this now so it can still be “live” from the Camino! Thanks for listening :). Hope this helps some fellow pilgrims!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm planning on walking in late September, thanks for posting so many details.

Live from the Camino Portugese (and my first significant post after years of stalking the Forum!)

I planned to walk the Invierno, however, the heatwave that hit Spain compounded what I thought was already going to be a challenging Camino. With many good wishes from Camino veterans, I pivoted just before flying out and arrived in Porto in time to start walking on the 14th.

I primarily stuck to the Camino Litoral, as the weather was cooler. Also of note, I found myself very Covid-conscious and, contrary to prior Caminos, sought out smaller rooms with fewer beds or single rooms (preferably in albergues). Clearly this added to the budget, however, it also added to the peace of mind. Many properties with dormitories posted photos of single or smaller rooms, but these weren’t necessarily listed as an option for booking. A phone call verified their existence, and the ability to reserve my space. After a discouraging start to “just showing up” (as on prior caminos), I began booking a day ahead. I was surprised to find in any instances my first or second choice property was already “completo” and ended up reserving several days ahead. This is a busy Camino!
My notes and stages as follows…

Day 0 - I arrived in Porto on Friday morning the 13th. While I initially thought I would spend a quiet day in Porto recovering from jet lag, I ended up walking over 8 miles around town in order to stay awake! To do it again, I would simply head out from the Cathedral and start my Camino!

There is much conversation about how to get out of Porto. In fact, one can get the credential stamp at the Cathedral, walk down to the river and turn right! I walked out of town on a wide Esplanade adjacent the river and the Atlantic. I was joined by mothers with babies, bicyclists, and joggers for quite some time until the Esplanade gave away to the famous boardwalks. No need to take a metro!

Day 1 - I arrived in Vila do Conte and was disappointed to realize 1) many of the reference guides regarding accommodations are out of date (SO many permanent closures!), and 2) the city was “completo”. Delightful Alfredo at the equally delightful and well-located Princesa do Ave Resedencias spent a good hour on the phone and the computer trying to find a place for me to sleep. He finally settled on Casa Matriz in Fao (20km away!) He arranged for the taxi pick me up and delivered me into the warm embrace of Rita whose hospitality gives evidence to the fact “the Camino provides”!

Day 2 - The next morning I took the taxi back to Princesa do Ave and walked the 20 km back to Fao. Mostly boardwalks and lovely beaches, however, don’t miss the seafood restaurants right along the Camino before you enter Fao. Even if you aren’t ready for a meal, stop somewhere for a fabulous seafood soup!

Day 3 - A bit of single track broke up the routine of the boardwalk, but this is definitely a hard track Camino! Casa de Carolina in Anha offered a small room with four beds. Lucky for us, Carolina‘s grandmother made a fabulous vegetable soup which we were all able to enjoy for dinner!

Day 4 - Boardwalks, cobblestones, and a bit of Old Roman Road greeted me on my first venture into the Coastal Route. There was some greenery, but I was happy to arrive at the beautiful Quinta da Quinhaus in Vila Praia de Ancira. While there is a small cafe nearby, the owner will pick you up at the local grocery store and I encourage you to bring provisions up to their beautifully appointed co-worker farm and it’s a very well-appointed kitchen

Day 5 - Back on the Litoral and more boardwalks, I walked up to Caminah to catch the water taxi across to Spain. There were plenty of water taxis here (and further south). More boardwalks and beautiful ocean views before I stopped at La Cala in Oia, well deserving of its reputation as “the jewel of the Portuguese”.

Day 6 - Beautiful walk through Baiona, a little bit a forest and back to the boardwalk. Walked through to Ramalossa and stayed at Pazo Pias. While there was no sign of nuns, the property is lovely, peaceful and efficiently managed by a delightful devoted staff. Very nice tapas bars nearby.

Day 7- Beautiful beach walking along an Esplanade adjacent public beaches. A nice glimpse of why people live here - public pools, beautiful facilities, skating rinks, gardens …. This ultimately gave way to the inevitable industrial entrance into Vigo. I had initially planned a rest day in Vigo, all the moreso since my feet were in tatters after all the hard track. I was encouraged to live large, and stayed at Puertas Gambos for two nights. The warm welcome by the managing family is exactly what I needed, and the location and elegant room were a real treat.

Day 8 - I had initially planned to visit Isla Cies. This visit was very easy to execute: 1) obtain permission from the governing authority to visit the island, 2) purchase your ferry ticket. While I still logged 4.5 miles, I also spent several hours airing my feet on the beach and soaking them in the crystal clear, cold, turquoise blue waters. Puerta Gamboa offered warm welcome at my return.

Day 9 - Back on the Camino with renewed feet and vigor. A surprising treat after exiting Vigo… a higher trail overlooking the bay that seemed to go on for miles. Maybe my best day so far! I stopped in Rendolate which made for a short day, however it seems prudent. A Conserveira offered a decent enough room, but overpriced relative to others.

Day 10 - Another fabulous walk on trails with forest! I stayed in Pontevedra at the lovely Acola Rooms (vs Alcoa Albergue or Alcoa Sport - both of which seemed lovely, too.)

Day 11 - A straightforward path out of town. I was surprised at the sense of relief I felt when I turned left to pursue the Spiritual Variant. Even after the forest yielded to asphalt again, and there was a significant climb up to the Mirador, I felt as though I was on a different Camino. A wonderful forest walk took me to the exquisite monastery at Armenteria. While there were no meals offered onsite, the peace of the sisters, the space and the gardens were priceless.

Day 12 - A very special walk out of Armenteria. Brierly declares it is the longest single pathway of any Camino. I declare it absolutely magical – flat, adjacent to the river, shaded, passing small family farms and vineyards, birds and frogs the only sound. Inevitably, it give way to the asphalt, though small family farms and vineyards offered some distraction. Ultimately I was on the hard packed sand into Vilanova where I checked into the new, very nice Albergue a Salazon in Vilanova de Arousa.

Day 13 - Currently awaiting my boat to Padron, but posting this now so it can still be “live” from the Camino! Thanks for listening :). Hope this helps some fellow pilgrims!
A wonderful trip and you are bringing back so many memories for me. I did this in 2019. Thanks.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've enjoyed your brief descriptions for each day's walk. It's good to get your up-to-date information too, about accommodation. Enjoy the rest!

When I walked the Portuguese in 2018, I was astounded by the "Turn Left!" messages the Universe sent me. For various reasons, I couldn't do that at that time, but on May 21, I got to do just that, and what a blessing it was. The climb to Armenteira, vespers and a pilgrim blessing at the monastery, and the descent through the Route of Stone and Water - they were perfect moments along a very good Camino.

My husband and I are planning to walk the portugais Camino in October and haven’t decided on which route to take. Thanks for this insight into the coastal one

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for the details and information you have shared. I am contemplating a similar route toward the end of September and your post has inspired me.

When you say most accommodations your contacted were already "completo" were you referring to private rooms? Or were the dorms/bunkbeds completely booked out too?

When you say most accommodations your contacted were already "completo" were you referring to private rooms? Or were the dorms/bunkbeds completely booked out too?
I was referring to private and small rooms. Sorry, I’ve no insight into dorm capacity.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you so much for this and particularly for information on private rooms. We've just done the last 100km from O Porrino to SdC via the Variante Spiritual and now we want to start in Porto following the Coastal/Litoral next year so am avidly following all the "live" posts and taking notes!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back