• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese - March 2018

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

Excited as flight reservations have been made and I will be walking the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago along the Central route. We start early March 2018...we being myself (61) and two much younger pilgrims I met in 2013/2014 (Brazil and France). Will be a treat to get out walking again and great to touch base with past friends.

In the past I have benefited significantly from advice from Camino Forum members so I am back with a few questions.

Cell Phone Coverage

I would like to have a data plan which allows me some flexibility to blog, interact with others back in Canada without being overly concerned about data usage. Preliminary review indicates Vodafone is a strong choice for Portugal. Any recommendations would be welcome...also believe you can get the coverage in the Lisbon airport?

Accommodation

Always a burning question as walking past Caminos taught me that a nice experience at the end of a long day's walk is priceless. We are flexible in our thinking and willing to consider a full range of accommodation options ranging from simple Allergies to more expensive Casa Rural's or Quinta's.

I have tried to scour past responses to "favourite places to stay" on the Camino Forum and have created the following recommended short listing.

Lisbon Poets Hostel
Lisbon Pensao da Prata
Ouro Hotel
Santarem Hostel
Casa das Flores
Casa de Azzancha
Casa da Tia Guida - Albergue Solo
Casa do Largo
Porto The Poets Inn
Gallery Hostel
Tattva Design Hostel
Hotel da Bolsa
Albergue de Peregrinos Sao Pedro
Casa da Fernanda
Quinta da Portela
Repouso do Pergrino
Hotel Lara
Pension Marcaibo
Hotel Azul
O Refugio De la Jerezana
Albergue O Recuncho do Peregrino
Hotel Ruis
Albergue Camino Do Sar
Hotel Scala
The Last Stamp

Any additional thoughts would be welcome...many thanks

Guy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We are doing the same walk but in July/August 2018. So anything you find out we will learn from you

I'd recommend staying away from the "Allergies" -- even the simple ones. (We've all been victims of runaway spellcheckers:D.)
Vodaphone worked great for me, but be sure your phone is unlocked. For your lodging list I'd add the following suggestions:
-- Casa Fernanda in Lugar do Corgo, -- advance reservation is usually required. Call Fernanda at +351 914 589 521; she speaks excellent English.
-- If you don't mind making your next to last day a bit longer and shortening the final walk into Santiago, pass right through Padrón and continue another 6.4 km to A Esclavitude. There's a very pleasant small hotel there called Grande de Capellania which serves an evening meal. For reservations call +34 981 509 854.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good listing, thanks, hopefully the Lisboa to Santiago de Compostela will be my next camino [in 2018], currently going over the Wise Pilgrim app in my phone and the hard copy guide from Brierley. Good luck, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Remember, walking the Camino Portugués involves walking in Portugal and Spain, so be sure that whatever plan you select applies to both countries. There were changes in cell plans in Europe earlier this year (beginning in June) that greatly liberalized coverages among different countries, but nevertheless, be sure that whatever plan you purchase will work seamlessly in both Portugal and Spain. For example, when we walked the CP in the spring of this year, the new plans were not in effect, and we ended up having to buy new SIM cards when we entered Spain -- not a big deal or expense, but a bit of a hassle nevertheless. Later this fall, we returned for a cruise starting and ending in Barcelona and including Italy and France as well, and we used the original SIM card we had purchased in Spain (it was still good), and only had it switched to a newer plan that seamlessly covered all the countries we visited, except for a brief stop in Andorra, which apparently is not included in the new multi-country European plan. This was Vodaphone, but the same applies for Orange and Movil as well. Lesson: When you purchase a SIM card that will be used in multiple countries (i.e. Portugal and Spain), be sure the plan you select will cover both countries -- there may still be inexpensive plans that don't work outside the country of origin.

FYI, there have always been and still are SIM cards and plans available from consolidators like National Geographic that cover most of Europe, and in some cases, other parts of the world as well. Some even give you two numbers -- one international and one U.S. number. But these tend to be more expensive than what you can get at any Vodaphone, Orange, or Movil store in Portugal or Spain.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My husband and I are also walking from Lisbon beginning early March. Perhaps our paths will cross on the Camino.

Hi Peregrinos,

In May the 8th tip finds and I - all from Australia, will start our Camino Portugues heading to Santiago and then Muxia, Finisterra and back to Santiago.
We would like some assistance with the following:
Any maps - GPS would be ideal of the route from Santiago to Porto which avoids some of main roads that some people refer to in some blogs.... We would like to talk in quite roads or bush areas...
Also some information regarding SIM and Mobile wifi - as I will be taking a mini iPad ro do a photo blog.
We are planing to visit Fatima, so assistance with accommodation for this city in May would also be much appreciated
Many thanks.
Regards

Jose

Hi,

Excited as flight reservations have been made and I will be walking the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago along the Central route. We start early March 2018...we being myself (61) and two much younger pilgrims I met in 2013/2014 (Brazil and France). Will be a treat to get out walking again and great to touch base with past friends.

In the past I have benefited significantly from advice from Camino Forum members so I am back with a few questions.

Cell Phone Coverage

I would like to have a data plan which allows me some flexibility to blog, interact with others back in Canada without being overly concerned about data usage. Preliminary review indicates Vodafone is a strong choice for Portugal. Any recommendations would be welcome...also believe you can get the coverage in the Lisbon airport?

Accommodation

Always a burning question as walking past Caminos taught me that a nice experience at the end of a long day's walk is priceless. We are flexible in our thinking and willing to consider a full range of accommodation options ranging from simple Allergies to more expensive Casa Rural's or Quinta's.

I have tried to scour past responses to "favourite places to stay" on the Camino Forum and have created the following recommended short listing.

Lisbon Poets Hostel
Lisbon Pensao da Prata
Ouro Hotel
Santarem Hostel
Casa das Flores
Casa de Azzancha
Casa da Tia Guida - Albergue Solo
Casa do Largo
Porto The Poets Inn
Gallery Hostel
Tattva Design Hostel
Hotel da Bolsa
Albergue de Peregrinos Sao Pedro
Casa da Fernanda
Quinta da Portela
Repouso do Pergrino
Hotel Lara
Pension Marcaibo
Hotel Azul
O Refugio De la Jerezana
Albergue O Recuncho do Peregrino
Hotel Ruis
Albergue Camino Do Sar
Hotel Scala
The Last Stamp

Any additional thoughts would be welcome...many thanks

Guy
Hello Guya, did you visit us?! hope so.... have a good camino!! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back