• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese. Matosinhos to Vila do Conde Atlantic Coast

hughe

I plan to walk from Mercado to Vila do Conde along the Atlantic Coast in late September & would appreciate any feedback re. weather conditions, walking times etc.
This is a preliminary to my main walk, which will go from Tui to Santiago - is it possible to travel by bus (or any other transport) from Vila do Conde to Tui?
What are the general weather conditions like along this route in early/mid October?
Any feedback will be appreciated.
Hugh

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
"This is a preliminary to my main walk, which will go from Tui to Santiago"

Hi,

don't you want to walk all along the coast till Vigo? (i am gathering info about this route... till now knowing not much about it) and then join teh main route at Redondela?

Hi,
Thanks for your response.
Due to limited time I plan my main walk from Tui to Santiago. However, the costal route from Mercado to Vila do Conde looks appealing as a warm-up.
After Vila do Conde I plan to bus (or whatever) to Tui.
Hugh

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked it this spring. Brierley's guide gives the impression you would be slogging through sand, but most of it is on boardwalk or roads of coastal villages.

If you are in Vila do Conde on a Saturday, the little Adega do Tijolo (on the little Praca do Tijolo) has very local fado on Saturday afternoons, with only a 3 Euro minimum. I stayed at O Manco D'Areia, on the main praca, a pleasant room for about 25 Euros.

Kit Taylor
http://www.arovingvision.com
kst@arovingvision.com

We are planning to start at Mercado or Matosinhos and walk the Coastline to Vila do Conde, We would like to find some pictures or video of this segment of the Camino. We would like to know what kind of weather you encountered. What effect did walking the beach have on your ankles and calves? Thanks Fred & Tina

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Fred and Tina, I have posted the shots from Mercados to Villa do Conte on my blog at http://www.planningyourcamino.blogspot.com you are welcome to view them.

We walked around September 1 and we had a 32C day with breeze. There is a boardwalk you can use instead of the beach but if you go with the beach go barefoot or else you will get sand in your shoes and boots - ouch!

Some how I missed this thread earlier. Another question:
If you walk Matosinhos to Vila do Conde what happens next? I mean, how do you get back onto the main route or did you carry on up the coast?
Sue

Just back from the camino portugues. I did this route to Vila de Conde. A long but relatively easy walk due to the boardwalk. Next day I walked to Rates. This walk is not waymarked and I got terribly lost. I didn't find the guidebook particularly helpful. Once back in Rates you have the wonderful yellow arrows all the way to Santiago

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Alan,
It's that, getting lost whilst carrying a backpack, that worries me, especially on the first day when the body is not up to scratch. I'd be grateful to know if anyone has an answer on how to avoid this!?
Sue

sulu said:
Thanks Alan,
It's that, getting lost whilst carrying a backpack, that worries me, especially on the first day when the body is not up to scratch. I'd be grateful to know if anyone has an answer on how to avoid this!?
Sue

Sue,
If you are familiar with the cell phones, many of today's phones have GPS receiver, that means, you can get offline map to your phone, and use it as you walk and it will show you exact position wherever you are. I found it on my camino very useful, since I was not using the official path all the time. :arrow:

That would be great, unfortunately I'm a techno-phobe. :oops:
I keep thinking maybe I should learn but I'm too old to make the effort. I'll just have to buy a map I think.

Can anyone who has walked up to Vila do Conde tell me where the boardwalk actually ends? I do not want to actually walk on the sand and risk my legs to tendonitus. From the google maps, it looks like it ends around Vila Cha or maybe Barrio de Louca. Did anyone make notes? I can pull up google maps to get me from the coast and along the streets but I'd appreciate having some idea where that might come. Thanks!

We leave 5 weeks from tomorrow! Can't wait!

Just back from the camino portugues. I did this route to Vila de Conde. A long but relatively easy walk due to the boardwalk. Next day I walked to Rates. This walk is not waymarked and I got terribly lost. I didn't find the guidebook particularly helpful. Once back in Rates you have the wonderful yellow arrows all the way to Santiago
I shall be going through Rates in August this year. Is it a nice walk at least?

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back