• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese: Shoe Help!

Amy Keating

Time of past OR future Camino
First one this September!
Hello fellow pilgrims!

I leave for Spain in a week, and start walking the Camino Portuguese on September 8th. I am not a hiker but definitely am a walker.

I just purchased a pair of extremely light boots from MEC. I loved wearing them in the store. The very kind and helpful salesperson let me know that these were some of the lightest boots, would still provide me some ankle support for my 45L backpack, and wouldn't take too long to break in (I know I am running late for breaking in new shoes!) I took them out for a walk, and after about 2 hours, I had a small ache in my left shin, and the bottoms of my feet were sore. Is this normal for breaking in boots or did I pick wrong? Would a sneaker that I am more used to wearing (either new or used) be better? Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_8338.JPG
    IMG_8338.JPG
    477.9 KB · Views: 730
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What are you used to walking in at home? I haven't walked the Portugues, but my light weight trail runners handled the extremely varied terrain of the Frances just fine. They were about a full size bigger than my regular shoes though.

What are you used to walking in at home? I haven't walked the Portugues, but my light weight trail runners handled the extremely varied terrain of the Frances just fine. They were about a full size bigger than my regular shoes though.

That is good to know. Thank you! I usually wear comfortable Nike sneakers, lightweight, with a good cushioned sole. They are my normal size though, and not one bigger.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After four Camino's, I personally will never wear boots for long distance walking ever again. Halfway through my second Camino, I trashed my boots, bought a pair of runners and finished my Camino with much happier feet. On my last 2 Camino's I have worn Merrel Moab trail shoes. Along with my double wall lined socks (WrightSocks) had only some very minor blisters on a few toes which I probably could have prevented by changing socks out at mid day, which is what I usually do, but I got lazy on a few days.
Foot wear is a very personal thing, but for me boots are simply too hot and confining.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't mention that in 6 weeks of walking during this year's Camino I had no blisters. I use WrightSocks double layer socks - the lightweight ones.
I got one tiny blister last year with the same combination of shoes and socks.

Hello fellow pilgrims!

I leave for Spain in a week, and start walking the Camino Portuguese on September 8th. I am not a hiker but definitely am a walker.

I just purchased a pair of extremely light boots from MEC. I loved wearing them in the store. The very kind and helpful salesperson let me know that these were some of the lightest boots, would still provide me some ankle support for my 45L backpack, and wouldn't take too long to break in (I know I am running late for breaking in new shoes!) I took them out for a walk, and after about 2 hours, I had a small ache in my left shin, and the bottoms of my feet were sore. Is this normal for breaking in boots or did I pick wrong? Would a sneaker that I am more used to wearing (either new or used) be better? Thank you in advance!

If you have to break them in, they're the wrong shoes.

Go buy some lightweight trail runners with a good wide roomy toe box. You do NOT need boots on the Camino unless you have weak ankles or have a pair you are used to wearing.
With New Balance, I walk out of the store and onto the Camino with no breaking in at all.
Highly recommended shoe.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you have to break them in, they're the wrong shoes.

Go buy some lightweight trail runners with a good wide roomy toe box. You do NOT need boots on the Camino unless you have weak ankles or have a pair you are used to wearing.
With New Balance, I walk out of the store and onto the Camino with no breaking in at all.
Highly recommended shoe.
I wore this year's shoes - also New Balance - just once pre Camino.

Trail runners worked great for me last year on the Portuguese Coastal route and I will wear the same type this year on the Portuguese Central route.

Where will you be starting? I expect to be leaving Porto on September 8th and will probably end up somewhere around Vilarinho.

Bom Caminho!

I walked the Camino Portuguese this past May/June and absolutely swear by Hoka One Ones. I could cry describing the joy they gave my feet. I took the coastal trail and found them perfect for the terrain. I'm still wearing these shoes everywhere! (Those paired with Wright Socks and their blister prevention = perfection)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Would you tell me the brand of trail runners?
The larger size accommodating a swelling foot and/or for more toe space?
How did they do in rain? (My Hoka One Ones were a dream but I could see that their sole is more porous, and therefore lighter, than other shoes I tried on.)

Formthe Portuguese cushioning is key. Hoka One Ones are terrific, and often sold at a tremendous discount at MEC. Many models have a narrow toe box but they have now come up with many models in a Wide version.

Rumor has it Altra Lone Peaks are also terrific.

Mine are New Balance Vazee Summit. I had no rain this year, but the sole is pretty grippy so they would be good in the rain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Normal running shoes or trail runners for sure! In June I walked the last 350 km of the Norte, then the Costa from Porto followed by the Inglés in Salomon Trail runners. After around 850 km I actually wished I had worn my usual Camino shoe which is an Ascics running shoe because there was too much asphalt. Expect ALOT of hard surfaces from Porto.

I avoid wearing hiking boots after the problems we had with them on our first Camino... However when wading through weeks of mud in the Portugese route during a wet winter I seriously considered getting out the gum boots... That said there is a lot of road walking in this route and if you are used to walking in trainers/sneakers then these would be better. As someone pointed out in another shoe thred, the Camino is more of a walk then a tramp and should be taken into account when selecting your footwear.

Hello fellow pilgrims!

Hi, Amy
I am also walking the Camino Portuguese, I fly out to Porto this Saturday, and start walking the following Monday!
I had a similar dilemma regarding my footwear choice!
I was considering either, wearing trail shoes , North Face Hedgehogs 2, or Asics Galaxy gel, running shoes!
I have trained in both and thought the Asics were more confortable but not as hard wearing as the North face!
I think LT fit has helped confirm my choice of the Asics!
Hope this helps!
Bom Caminho

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wore lightweight Asics for years on multiple different caminos. It think they were GTs. They were fine for about 800km, then they needed replacing. It should not be a problem.

I have wide feet and narrow heels. I wore Altra lone peak 3.0. They also do a 3.5 sole but the 3.0 was fine in terms of protection from stones and for wear. Small holes had formed in the tops by the time I'd done 800 km but the soles were almost as good as new. No blisters. My advice is to avoid having anything on your feet that feels like wearing a plank of wood and this applies to any boots, shoes and sandals that feel like that.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My feet felt as if in a dream cloud.

Porto to Santiago (May/June 2017): Hoke One One Challenger ATR shoes, 1/2 size bigger

SJPP to Burgos (May/June 2018): Hoke One One hiking boots “women’s tor ultra high waterproof “, 1/2 size bigger

Both shoes were lighter than my Chaco sandal. Through much research, I arrived at Hoke’s—now such a convert!

Probably totally unrelated but i wear boots all day everyday and do a bit of mountian hiking and always find sometimes with some boots ya can hurt your toes with maybe some lost footing or whatever reason and after a lot of hours in boots and your feet are sore this is a pain in the bum but recently i got some FXD work boots with a composite toe which replaced the steel toe cap and is common here in australia for mine workers and airports etc but the composite toe allowed the boots to be of min weight and still offer good toe protection ....
Something to consider maybe .... maybe not but no humans or animals were hurt while writing this post so no harm done ....lol .... have a good day people !

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back