• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese - Starting in 2 Weeks

Spduncan

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal (May 2018)
Hello everyone. I am a solo female starting my camino in early May. I still have not settled on a route and would love some input. Coastal or Central. My biggest fear is loneliness and I have heard that the central is more populated.

I am also wondering if there is anyone else starting in early May that I may run into.

I am truly looking forward to this experience, but the closer I get to my departure date, the more anxious I get. Any advice or comments is appreciated.

Bom Caminho!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’ll be starting in Fatima 4th May , across to Tomar , then up the Central route... I’ll be with a couple of others ... and I’m sure many more !!

Look forward to your Caminho , don’t be anxious , embrace whatever is given you, and return it with a smile !!

Bom Caminho !!

We have just done the Central route. Plenty of pilgrims but never too crowded. Lots of charming villages. Loads of places to eat. Rural unless you hit towns. Highly recommended

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Spduncan,
I'm walking the central route now. You will have plenty of company but nothing is crowded, at least so far. I'm in Barcelos and expecting to see more pilgrims after Tui. You would not be lonely on this route.

Hello,

I am arriving Porto on May 17th to walk the Porto to Santiago Route. This is my first trip to Europe. Very excited and open to the whole experience.

I walked from Lisbon last September and hit Porto early October. I walked Central route. There were lots of pilgrims but never crowded and as others said lots of really lovely towns, fantastic Portugues people and scenery.
But, for me, too much road walking.
I am not big on walking with people, love people at breaks and in the evening. Not much of a Camino family guy! But that’s me. You are different and you will have no problem meeting some of the greatest people on earth and maybe form a Camino Family to call your own!!! Don’t worry, the Camino will always give you what you need. If you truly need people you will have wonderful people surrounding you. But you never know you may need solitude and quiet more than you realize. And for my next Camino on the Norte maybe I will end up in a family of with one or two very close brothers or sisters. It’s my 4th Camino and it’s been different every time.
One step at a time! Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can have it both actually, if you walk along the ocean to Vila do Conde on the first day out of Porto and then switch to the central way. Many people do that, you can ask around in Santa Clara albergue in Vila do Conde if you want company to get to Rates/Barcelos - so you enjoy the ocean first and then find the true Camino spirit on the central way. I walked there last May, was pleasant, no rush for the beds, people are great, portions are huge and weather should be warm or even hot. Bom Caminho! :)

I am trying to keep my packing list to the absolute lightest possible. Is it really necessary to carry sleeping bag, towel, and toiletries if there are hostels all along the route. Or am I thinking too much like hotel accomodations? Can you offer advice?

You can have it both actually, if you walk along the ocean to Vila do Conde on the first day out of Porto and then switch to the central way. Many people do that, you can ask around in Santa Clara albergue in Vila do Conde if you want company to get to Rates/Barcelos - so you enjoy the ocean first and then find the true Camino spirit on the central way. I walked there last May, was pleasant, no rush for the beds, people are great, portions are huge and weather should be warm or even hot. Bom Caminho! :)
Thank you so much. That's a great idea. I can't wait to get going!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am trying to keep my packing list to the absolute lightest possible. Is it really necessary to carry sleeping bag, towel, and toiletries if there are hostels all along the route. Or am I thinking too much like hotel accomodations? Can you offer advice?
I am going in mid June and am wondering the same thing - will I need a sleeping bag on this route? It will also be my first Camino and I'm wanting to keep my pack weight as low as possible but I won't sleep if I'm cold. It's a dilemma..

I am going in mid June and am wondering the same thing - will I need a sleeping bag on this route? It will also be my first Camino and I'm wanting to keep my pack weight as low as possible but I won't sleep if I'm cold. It's a dilemma..
We went as a family (with 16 and 19 year old daughters) early last June 2017, from Porto to Santiago via the central route. We got train out of Porto to skip the first 1/2 days walking on roads. While there are many cobbled streets and footpaths, there were some alternatives along the way. The towns were beautiful and choice of accommodation in bigger towns substantial for June. Most places cost €10-€12 in albergues with private rooms costing from 20-40€! We rarely booked ahead! Enjoy. Envious!!

We went as a family (with 16 and 19 year old daughters) early last June 2017, from Porto to Santiago via the central route. We got train out of Porto to skip the first 1/2 days walking on roads. While there are many cobbled streets and footpaths, there were some alternatives along the way. The towns were beautiful and choice of accommodation in bigger towns substantial for June. Most places cost €10-€12 in albergues with private rooms costing from 20-40€! We rarely booked ahead! Enjoy. Envious!!
We just brought light sleeping liners from lidl. They were fleece like which worked a treat as were warm enough and with extra blanket usually provided by most places were entirely adequate!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you so much for your reply and advice re: accom. I'm going with a lightweight summer bag from Decathlon that was suggested, along with my silk liner. At £6.99 for the bag, and weight of 550g. What's not to like :) Thanks again.

For my part, I brought a sleeping bag liner, which I believe proved necessary at one of the albergues where I stayed. I also had a towel with me that I don't believe I ever needed (I stayed in albergues for four of the ten nights I was walking). If by toiletries you're referring to toilet paper, that was always provided, though perhaps some have it with them while walking as precaution.

Bon/Bom/Buen Camino/Caminho :)

Hello everyone. I am a solo female starting my camino in early May. I still have not settled on a route and would love some input. Coastal or Central. My biggest fear is loneliness and I have heard that the central is more populated.

I am also wondering if there is anyone else starting in early May that I may run into.

I am truly looking forward to this experience, but the closer I get to my departure date, the more anxious I get. Any advice or comments is appreciated.

Bom Caminho!
Hello

My Friend and I will be starting from Lisbon on the central route on May 11 maybe we will see you along the way

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Toiletries yes. No need to bring a sleeping bag, assuming you're not planning to start anytime between now and October. The albuergues aren't like hotels- they don't provide soap, toothpaste, etc, for the pilgrims.

Bom Caminho!

I did the Portuguese last June. Lisbon to Porto I didnt meet any other peregrinos at all. Then I did the Central Route, Ponte de Lima (it was beautiful) was where I met my first other walking partners and from there on 20 to 40 people per day.
Great weather for me but too hot for most people.
Buen Camino

Hi Joyce, I’m arriving in Porto on the 17th also, will be happy to connect , I did the Frances last year and am doing the Coastal from the 17th thru June 1.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am walking from Lisbonne to Santiago de Compostelle starting on May 27.. Buen Camino.

My husband and I are starting on May 11 from Porto...coastal and senda litoral routes, then central route as we move into Spain.

Thank you so much. That's a great idea. I can't wait to get going!!!
I will start from Porto on 11 May. Walk to Matosinhos, then Vila do Conde and cross to the Central route via Rates to Barcellos. I met wonderful people on the Camino Francés last year. Trust that my path will cross with more this year. Bom Caminho!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Bom Caminho!

Bom Caminho!
Hello , I am arriving May 4th in Lisbon..was going to Porto that day if i arrive early enough

I have read that you can bus 10 k out of Porto to bypass the city before the walk

I am Male , also alone and trying to figure out perhaps starting on the coast
and then going inland..

today i am getting the pack together ,at least trying , anyway stay in touch.

i will check this site again before i leave M 3rd.

I have the whats app on my phone

We will also be walking from Porto on 17th May

Hello , I am arriving May 4th in Lisbon..was going to Porto that day if i arrive early enough

I have read that you can bus 10 k out of Porto to bypass the city before the walk

I am Male , also alone and trying to figure out perhaps starting on the coast
and then going inland..

today i am getting the pack together ,at least trying , anyway stay in touch.

i will check this site again before i leave M 3rd.

I have the whats app on my phone
You can take bus # 500 to Matosinhos or the metro to Matosinhos Mercado and start from there along the coastal or take the metro to Póvoa de Varzim till Vilar do Pinheiro and walk from there directly on the Central ( inland) route to Vilarinho and São Pedro de Rates

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Instead of a towel, take 3-4 dishwipes - we call them Chux downunder. They are light, rinse out and dry quickly. I used a light sleeping bag and silk liner at every albergue, but if you stay in casas or hotels you won't need them. Essential toiletries are small shampoo bottle which does for soap, and usual dental and perspiration small bottles and sunscreen. Maybe tea tree oil. And blister gear. You can replenish at pharmacies or small stores. Bom Caminho. I did this in May 2016:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Lisbon Pilgrims, anyone starting out tomorrow? The 9th of May? Lisbon to Santiago. I would love to start out with you if so!

We’re starting from Porto May 27th. Haven’t decided coastal or central yet...would like to do a bit of both and then Espiritual Variante

I'll be starting on May 20 from Porto going on the coastal route to Vila do Condo first and then cutting across to join the Central and proceed on to Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, etc.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back