Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Camino portuguese this week - Sept 13, 2021

Dilbin

Past OR future Camino
Irun to Santander del Norte
Hi everyone. Starting part of the Camino Portuguese Monday morning 13th from Coimbra( 6/7 stages south of Porto) Would love to chat through forum and even meet up with anyone travelling the same time and route. Daniel(Irish pilgrim)

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
A Quest of St. James, Tommy Ray, Book Cover, Image
Come follow the vivid imagery of this life-changing adventure.

Faye Walker

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF 2014, CF 2018, CP 2019 from Coimbra
When you get to Agueda, there is a very nice albergue on the far side of town that will put you at an advantage for starting your next day. The Residenciale Celeste. Wonderful breakfast. For the same price as any pilgrim bed I ended up in a small room with my own bed.
There is a great kitchen and a grocery store near by. Highly recommend. Enclosed image: just a little of my breakfast. Charming evening view from the terrace.
Wise Pilgrim now says 40 euros for single... but they also had pilgrim pricing when I was there. Half is a hotel; half is a more typical albergue.

Attachments

• IMG_5224.jpeg
    IMG_5224.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5212.jpeg
    IMG_5212.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21

James X

Caminhos with a h
Past OR future Camino
Caminho Central Português: October 2017
Caminho: Coastal / Litoral / Lost: September 2018
Hi Dilbin, not travelling until October (hopefully) but happy to proffer any advice or help you need along the way (have done the Central twice and a portion of the Coastal once)
Which do you intend to do after Porto ?

Airfix

Past OR future Camino
Hi everyone. Starting part of the Camino Portuguese Monday morning 13th from Coimbra( 6/7 stages south of Porto) Would love to chat through forum and even meet up with anyone travelling the same time and route. Daniel(Irish pilgrim)
Hi Daniel, wife and I are currently on Camino in Barcelos. Stopped of at Albergue de Peregrinos do Mosteiro de Vairão, near Vilarinho for a Pilgrim stamp. We didn't stay there but they had plenty of room and staff were friendly.

Dilbin

Past OR future Camino
When you get to Agueda, there is a very nice albergue on the far side of town that will put you at an advantage for starting your next day. The Residenciale Celeste. Wonderful breakfast. For the same price as any pilgrim bed I ended up in a small room with my own bed.
There is a great kitchen and a grocery store near by. Highly recommend. Enclosed image: just a little of my breakfast. Charming evening view from the terrace.
Wise Pilgrim now says 40 euros for single... but they also had pilgrim pricing when I was there. Half is a hotel; half is a more typical albergue.
Thank you for that. Finished the Norte in '19 so can't wait to see my first yellow arrow.

A Quest of St. James, Tommy Ray, Book Cover, Image
Come follow the vivid imagery of this life-changing adventure.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Dilbin

Past OR future Camino
Hi Daniel, wife and I are currently on Camino in Barcelos. Stopped of at Albergue de Peregrinos do Mosteiro de Vairão, near Vilarinho for a Pilgrim stamp. We didn't stay there but they had plenty of room and staff were friendly.
Thanking you! 'The road less travelled but equally worn as we trudge the road to happy destiny'

Dilbin

Past OR future Camino
Hi Dilbin, not travelling until October (hopefully) but happy to proffer any advice or help you need along the way (have done the Central twice and a portion of the Coastal once)
Which do you intend to do after Porto ?
Hi and thanks for the kindness. I generally take each day as it comes so will decide on the night before I leave Porto. Completed the Norte in '19 and can't wait to get back to those arrows. If you haven't done the Norte I would suggest walking the historic route from La Caridad to Vegadao. Its basically a 3 day detour but would have been the original way before the bridge was built.

Faye Walker

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF 2014, CF 2018, CP 2019 from Coimbra
Thank you for that. Finished the Norte in '19 so can't wait to see my first yellow arrow.
Very welcome.
I started in Coimbra as well. It's a lovely start. Oldest university in Portugal... lovely cobbled streets. I stayed at the Ibis because: private room on my arrival night was very welcome, and the large breakfast before starting out was a bonus.
Stop in Mealhada for your first night... not Sarnadelo. The only place to sleep in Sarnadelo is a truck stop.... I had not realized that it would be *so close* to Mealhada and so I walked on... would have turned back had a downpour not come.
May the wind be on your back, and the sun on your face... (I am also an Irish pilgrim, though I presently live in Canada).

Dilbin

Past OR future Camino
Very welcome.
I started in Coimbra as well. It's a lovely start. Oldest university in Portugal... lovely cobbled streets. I stayed at the Ibis because: private room on my arrival night was very welcome, and the large breakfast before starting out was a bonus.
Stop in Mealhada for your first night... not Sarnadelo. The only place to sleep in Sarnadelo is a truck stop.... I had not realized that it would be *so close* to Mealhada and so I walked on... would have turned back had a downpour not come.
May the wind be on your back, and the sun on your face... (I am also an Irish pilgrim, though I presently live in Canada).
Well there you go, a great piece of info for my first day walking 🚶‍♂️ 👍

Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Past OR future Camino
September 2019: first Camino, can only do partial this year due to recent knee replacement
Hello Daniel. My husband and I, plus one more American couple, are departing Coimbra tomorrow morning also. We will be heading up to Mealhada to spend the night and the next night our plan is to be staying in Agueda. Our lodging in Mealhada is Residencial Pinho Verde, and it’s Agueda Hostel & Friends for the next night.

Past OR future Camino
September 2019: first Camino, can only do partial this year due to recent knee replacement
I hope we get to meet up along the way. In fact, tonight we could meet for coffee if you’d like, near the Santiago church, but we’ve already had an early dinner.

Dilbin

Past OR future Camino
Hello Daniel. My husband and I, plus one more American couple, are departing Coimbra tomorrow morning also. We will be heading up to Mealhada to spend the night and the next night our plan is to be staying in Agueda. Our lodging in Mealhada is Residencial Pinho Verde, and it’s Agueda Hostel & Friends for the next night.
Hi. Will try catch up tomorrow as I'm only on train heading to Coimbra now. Great to hear from ye and hope the Camino is finding you all well and happy 😊

Past OR future Camino
Hi. Will try catch up tomorrow as I'm only on train heading to Coimbra now. Great to hear from ye and hope the Camino is finding you all well and happy 😊
Sounds good, we’re heading out of town about 6:30 in the morning but we’re slow and take breaks 😉

GailGwyn

Past OR future Camino
part Camino Frances (2013), Part Camino Norte (2014)Camino Frances (2019)Camino Portuguese (2020)
Flying to Porto 15th, start walking 16th. May see you. Gail and Gwyn (Welsh pilgrims)

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads