• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino portuguese this week - Sept 13, 2021

Dilbin

Time of past OR future Camino
Irun to Santander del Norte
Hi everyone. Starting part of the Camino Portuguese Monday morning 13th from Coimbra( 6/7 stages south of Porto) Would love to chat through forum and even meet up with anyone travelling the same time and route. Daniel(Irish pilgrim)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When you get to Agueda, there is a very nice albergue on the far side of town that will put you at an advantage for starting your next day. The Residenciale Celeste. Wonderful breakfast. For the same price as any pilgrim bed I ended up in a small room with my own bed.
There is a great kitchen and a grocery store near by. Highly recommend. Enclosed image: just a little of my breakfast. Charming evening view from the terrace.
Wise Pilgrim now says 40 euros for single... but they also had pilgrim pricing when I was there. Half is a hotel; half is a more typical albergue.

Attachments

• IMG_5224.jpeg
    IMG_5224.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5212.jpeg
    IMG_5212.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 37
Hi Dilbin, not travelling until October (hopefully) but happy to proffer any advice or help you need along the way (have done the Central twice and a portion of the Coastal once)
Which do you intend to do after Porto ?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone. Starting part of the Camino Portuguese Monday morning 13th from Coimbra( 6/7 stages south of Porto) Would love to chat through forum and even meet up with anyone travelling the same time and route. Daniel(Irish pilgrim)
Hi Daniel, wife and I are currently on Camino in Barcelos. Stopped of at Albergue de Peregrinos do Mosteiro de Vairão, near Vilarinho for a Pilgrim stamp. We didn't stay there but they had plenty of room and staff were friendly.

When you get to Agueda, there is a very nice albergue on the far side of town that will put you at an advantage for starting your next day. The Residenciale Celeste. Wonderful breakfast. For the same price as any pilgrim bed I ended up in a small room with my own bed.
There is a great kitchen and a grocery store near by. Highly recommend. Enclosed image: just a little of my breakfast. Charming evening view from the terrace.
Wise Pilgrim now says 40 euros for single... but they also had pilgrim pricing when I was there. Half is a hotel; half is a more typical albergue.
Thank you for that. Finished the Norte in '19 so can't wait to see my first yellow arrow.

Hi Daniel, wife and I are currently on Camino in Barcelos. Stopped of at Albergue de Peregrinos do Mosteiro de Vairão, near Vilarinho for a Pilgrim stamp. We didn't stay there but they had plenty of room and staff were friendly.
Thanking you! 'The road less travelled but equally worn as we trudge the road to happy destiny'

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Dilbin, not travelling until October (hopefully) but happy to proffer any advice or help you need along the way (have done the Central twice and a portion of the Coastal once)
Which do you intend to do after Porto ?
Hi and thanks for the kindness. I generally take each day as it comes so will decide on the night before I leave Porto. Completed the Norte in '19 and can't wait to get back to those arrows. If you haven't done the Norte I would suggest walking the historic route from La Caridad to Vegadao. Its basically a 3 day detour but would have been the original way before the bridge was built.

Thank you for that. Finished the Norte in '19 so can't wait to see my first yellow arrow.
Very welcome.
I started in Coimbra as well. It's a lovely start. Oldest university in Portugal... lovely cobbled streets. I stayed at the Ibis because: private room on my arrival night was very welcome, and the large breakfast before starting out was a bonus.
Stop in Mealhada for your first night... not Sarnadelo. The only place to sleep in Sarnadelo is a truck stop.... I had not realized that it would be *so close* to Mealhada and so I walked on... would have turned back had a downpour not come.
May the wind be on your back, and the sun on your face... (I am also an Irish pilgrim, though I presently live in Canada).

Very welcome.
I started in Coimbra as well. It's a lovely start. Oldest university in Portugal... lovely cobbled streets. I stayed at the Ibis because: private room on my arrival night was very welcome, and the large breakfast before starting out was a bonus.
Stop in Mealhada for your first night... not Sarnadelo. The only place to sleep in Sarnadelo is a truck stop.... I had not realized that it would be *so close* to Mealhada and so I walked on... would have turned back had a downpour not come.
May the wind be on your back, and the sun on your face... (I am also an Irish pilgrim, though I presently live in Canada).
Well there you go, a great piece of info for my first day walking 🚶‍♂️ 👍

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Don't rush out of Coimbra it is a beautiful place.

Hello Daniel. My husband and I, plus one more American couple, are departing Coimbra tomorrow morning also. We will be heading up to Mealhada to spend the night and the next night our plan is to be staying in Agueda. Our lodging in Mealhada is Residencial Pinho Verde, and it’s Agueda Hostel & Friends for the next night.

I hope we get to meet up along the way. In fact, tonight we could meet for coffee if you’d like, near the Santiago church, but we’ve already had an early dinner.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Daniel. My husband and I, plus one more American couple, are departing Coimbra tomorrow morning also. We will be heading up to Mealhada to spend the night and the next night our plan is to be staying in Agueda. Our lodging in Mealhada is Residencial Pinho Verde, and it’s Agueda Hostel & Friends for the next night.
Hi. Will try catch up tomorrow as I'm only on train heading to Coimbra now. Great to hear from ye and hope the Camino is finding you all well and happy 😊

Hi. Will try catch up tomorrow as I'm only on train heading to Coimbra now. Great to hear from ye and hope the Camino is finding you all well and happy 😊
Sounds good, we’re heading out of town about 6:30 in the morning but we’re slow and take breaks 😉

Flying to Porto 15th, start walking 16th. May see you. Gail and Gwyn (Welsh pilgrims)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,

How are you all doing? I'll be setting off in two weeks for a coastal-central-espiritual variation. I am working out what to bring and would like to ask about your experiences in alburgues, will I need to bring my own sleeping bag? (as would seem to be the case per Covid regulations). Normally I would only bring a liner. Any help very much appreciated.

Happy walking!
Mo

Hi. Just home after walking from Coimbra to Tui. Many of the Albergues were still closed but plenty of accommodation on the way. Everywhere we stayed had proper made up beds so didn't use sleeping bags once. After 2 days out of Porto we switched back to the central route as we have plenty of coast at home. Overall yet another great experience. Regards Daniel

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Also Starting on Monday
This will be my fourth in Portugal
2 Centrals and 1 Partial Coastal (Varied between traditional route and Senda Litoral
Back to do a 4th on Monday and plan to do the Central again

Coastal is beautiful but I just prefer the Central - it's like meeting an old friend

Caminha just before you cross the ferry into Spain or continue on to Tui is a beautiful spot
As is Ponte de Lima on the Central
Viana do Castelo & Baiona also on the central are lovley

Also Starting on Monday
This will be my fourth in Portugal
2 Centrals and 1 Partial Coastal (Varied between traditional route and Senda Litoral
Back to do a 4th on Monday and plan to do the Central again

Coastal is beautiful but I just prefer the Central - it's like meeting an old friend

Caminha just before you cross the ferry into Spain or continue on to Tui is a beautiful spot
As is Ponte de Lima on the Central
Viana do Castelo & Baiona also on the central are lovley
Thank you for the info! Are you planning ahead your accommodations or winging it? This ones my first in this area so a bit nervous with the ever changing rules. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all- starting this route Monday- suggestions on stages and favorite

Thank you for the info! Are you planning ahead your accommodations or winging it? This ones my first in this area so a bit nervous with the ever changing rules. :)
Hi. We were booking ahead but on arrival at various hostels etc we realised there was no need. Winging it is always more real, IMO. Very nice hostel in Sobriero if a 34.5 km stage is too long. Excellent showers and a nice private bedroom if you require. Great showers and owner will drive you to the supermarket etc if you need. She also has a friend who runs a great hostel in Rubies with breakfast thrown in. Enjoy your time.

Hi. We were booking ahead but on arrival at various hostels etc we realised there was no need. Winging it is always more real, IMO. Very nice hostel in Sobriero if a 34.5 km stage is too long. Excellent showers and a nice private bedroom if you require. Great showers and owner will drive you to the supermarket etc if you need. She also has a friend who runs a great hostel in Rubies with breakfast thrown in. Enjoy your time.
Thanks! If you, or anyone, has suggestions for stages after Vigo, would love suggestions. Already it seems many Alburgues along the normal sections must be sold out- many haven’t responded though they say they are open. Thanks again!

Thanks! If you, or anyone, has suggestions for stages after Vigo, would love suggestions. Already it seems many Alburgues along the normal sections must be sold out- many haven’t responded though they say they are open. Thanks again!
Hello again. Maybe if you look up Camino Portuguese Gronze. They have a list of all accommodations and you will see many of the Albergues are closed still. That maybe the reason for no replies. However we came across some Albergues that are new and also some that are not listed. For example in Rubies there were lots of accommodations and an Albergue that wasn't mentioned on said site that had plenty of beds and 50 metres away a hostel which also had room for many more pilgrims.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good suggestion by Dilbin; Groze is a really good site ( just use the translate function in your browser ) it will show both the Central and Coastal Caminos and suggested stages but adapt as you see fit.

I also recently came across Godesalco which is really good - set your starting point and end point
Then follow through to plan your stages and it will give you a host of informative options at the end including accommodation - it will even give you sunrise and sunset times at your destinations

(This only gives the central - but effective from Redondela)

You could also get the Wisepilgrim App for the Portugues Routes - it’s very informative and again let’s you see / plan your stages and also has accommodation info.
I’m a fan of just going arrow to arrow but the live map function on it, showing your location versus the actual route has saved my bacon once or twice !

Lastly if you can get your hands on Brierleys guide book it also gives a very good overview with some history info and defo places to stop

thank you for all the information. perfect.

i would prefer to wing it and i saw hostels typically have bedding. so i guess if i stick to those i can leave my sleeping bag at home. If anyone has any info from say the last couple of weeks on staying in albergues?

enjoy your travels all

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello,

How are you all doing? I'll be setting off in two weeks for a coastal-central-espiritual variation. I am working out what to bring and would like to ask about your experiences in alburgues, will I need to bring my own sleeping bag? (as would seem to be the case per Covid regulations). Normally I would only bring a liner. Any help very much appreciated.

Happy walking!
Mo
Hi, only stayed in 3 albergues and used my sleeping bag each time.

Hi all- starting this route Monday- suggestions on stages and favorite Alburgues is welcome!
The one place I would definitely recommend is Casa Fernanda. Great hosts and great fun!

The route is presently just perfect
Please feel free to follow pics on my Instagram

Caminho_with_a_h

Attachments

• 8E25C1E5-CC0E-450C-B9DF-1906B2642D9F.png
    8E25C1E5-CC0E-450C-B9DF-1906B2642D9F.png
    9.6 MB · Views: 10
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back