• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese Video Series from John Sikora

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

I just noticed that John has a new video series of walking the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela. John's videos are done in the same manner as his Camino Frances series; each stage videoed step-by-step and then edited in a Hyperlapse time frame which allows the viewer to watch each stage being walked in an average of 20 minutes or so, rather than requiring hours.

John also does a complete Google Maps flyover of the stage at the beginning of each video to give and overview, and includes an elevation chart of that day's walk. Another unique thing is that alongside the actual video footage, John has added the Brierley map of that stage with a marker (X) which moves over the map showing the location as the walk progresses. Underneath the video footage is the Google Maps view from the sky which also has a movable marker that keeps pace with the walker's location.

Great job on those videos, John.:D:D:D:cool::cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just noticed that John has a new video series of walking the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela. John's videos are done in the same manner as his Camino Frances series; each stage videoed step-by-step and then edited in a Hyperlapse time frame which allows the viewer to watch each stage being walked in an average of 20 minutes or so, rather than requiring hours.

John also does a complete Google Maps flyover of the stage at the beginning of each video to give and overview, and includes an elevation chart of that day's walk. Another unique thing is that alongside the actual video footage, John has added the Brierley map of that stage with a marker (X) which moves over the map showing the location as the walk progresses. Underneath the video footage is the Google Maps view from the sky which also has a movable marker that keeps pace with the walker's location.

I do recognize the lot but to me by watching this vid , hyperventilation comes up.😏

Just as an FYI, I’ll have about half of the CP up in the next week or so and then get the rest up in April.

Also, I’ll be doing the Camino de la Plata is May 2019 and spring 2020 (too much walking for one trip).

You’ll also find some missing segments in the CP. The weather was dangerously hot so a few segments weren’t walked. I’m trying to pick those up in May as well.

Did something different on the CP. there are two playlists. One has just the 4K video without any guide pages or satellite image. It still has the flyover.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Albertinho - I get the same feeling while editing. It’s bothersome but if I slowed it down I’d have 45 minute videos :). When it does get bad due to the context, I use the YouTube settings to slow down the replay. The music gets a little screwy but you can take the time to see a particular piece of scenery that you want.

Thanks for posting the link, Dave. I like the format with the flyover and the moving maps, but I'm exhausted after watching it -- I feel like I've just run a marathon. Looking forward to rest of it, especially when he gets to Porto and north, which was what my wife and I walked in 2017.

Albertinho - I get the same feeling while editing. It’s bothersome but if I slowed it down I’d have 45 minute videos :). When it does get bad due to the context, I use the YouTube settings to slow down the replay. The music gets a little screwy but you can take the time to see a particular piece of scenery that you want.
I am making videos myself. Wear my Gopro camera with a harnas during my caminhos and am editing video myself . Was wondering if your camera is running all the time during your walk and then I was calculating how long the camera should run .
I walked from Lisbon to Santiago in 32 days with some restdays in Coimbra, Porto and Barcelos . Usely we walked an average of 5 hours a day times 29 is 145 hours . My battery lasts about one hour before it is empty . So every day at least I have to recharge 5 batteries.
I admit my vids -I made some of the Portuguese caminhos- last about half an hour each .
My daughter and son in law went for 4 weeks to Australia and for 4 weeks to Canada and the USA on holidays.they make Gopro and dronevids and the average time of their edited vids is max 10 minutes per vid . Very flashing and spectacular
They have a different view to what is preserving their memories.
Just today edited a Christmas concert of the bigband I am playing in.
one and half hour video material was edited into less than 5 minutes. It fixes the attention during the 5 minutes
But back to your vids .I saw some recognisable happy views in your video
Thanks for sharing

Passa bem e bom caminho

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am making videos myself. Wear my Gopro camera with a harnas during my caminhos and am editing video myself . Was wondering if your camera is running all the time during your walk and then I was calculating how long the camera should run .
I walked from Lisbon to Santiago in 32 days with some restdays in Coimbra, Porto and Barcelos . Usely we walked an average of 5 hours a day times 29 is 145 hours . My battery lasts about one hour before it is empty . So every day at least I have to recharge 5 batteries.
I admit my vids -I made some of the Portuguese caminhos- last about half an hour each .
My daughter and son in law went for 4 weeks to Australia and for 4 weeks to Canada and the USA on holidays.they make Gopro and dronevids and the average time of their edited vids is max 10 minutes per vid . Very flashing and spectacular
They have a different view to what is preserving their memories.
Just today edited a Christmas concert of the bigband I am playing in.
one and half hour video material was edited into less than 5 minutes. It fixes the attention during the 5 minutes
But back to your vids .I saw some recognisable happy views in your video
Thanks for sharing

Passa bem e bom caminho

Hi, Albertinho ....

1. On the video segment that John edited for me and included in his Camino Frances series, I had my GoPro running the full 9 hours + of walking from St John Pied de Port to Roncesvalles. My impression is that John does the same thing with his recordings; except where things like weather prevent having the GoPro exposed. So it is pretty much a step-by-step recording of an entire stage.

The only time I paused was to change out a full 256 GB SD card with a fresh one. There were a few times where the iPhone GoPro App shut the camera down due to a weird Bluetooth foul up, but I would catch it and turn the camera back on. After the third time, I turned off the app and just used the controls on the GoPro.

2. I used an Anker 20000 mAh power bank to power the GoPro for the entire 9+ hours. I did not use the GoPro batteries which only last me 45 minutes recording at a 4K 60p resolution. The power bank plugs into the GoPro via a cable. At the end of the day, there was still about 30% of the power left in the power bank. A power bank in the 12000 to 14000 mAh range would have been sufficient, and a bit lighter, too.

3. I do not use a harness, I use a a clip attachment to the backpack's shoulder harness. These can work well, too.

I then used a quick disconnect system so that I could quickly mount or remove the GoPro from the Strap mount. I like this one a whole lot better than what is supplied by GoPro

Maybe this will be of help to you :)

Hi, Albertinho ....

1. On the video segment that John edited for me and included in his Camino Frances series, I had my GoPro running the full 9 hours + of walking from St John Pied de Port to Roncesvalles. My impression is that John does the same thing with his recordings; except where things like weather prevent having the GoPro exposed. So it is pretty much a step-by-step recording of an entire stage.

The only time I paused was to change out a full 256 GB SD card with a fresh one. There were a few times where the iPhone GoPro App shut the camera down due to a weird Bluetooth foul up, but I would catch it and turn the camera back on. After the third time, I turned off the app and just used the controls on the GoPro.

2. I used an Anker 20000 mAh power bank to power the GoPro for the entire 9+ hours. I did not use the GoPro batteries which only last me 45 minutes recording at a 4K 60p resolution. The power bank plugs into the GoPro via a cable. At the end of the day, there was still about 30% of the power left in the power bank. A power bank in the 12000 to 14000 mAh range would have been sufficient, and a bit lighter, too.

3. I do not use a harness, I use a a clip attachment to the backpack's shoulder harness. These can work well, too.

I then used a quick disconnect system so that I could quickly mount or remove the GoPro from the Strap mount. I like this one a whole lot better than what is supplied by GoPro

Maybe this will be of help to you :)
Wow ! Thank you. Learned a lot !

My aim is not to record the 1 million steps from A to B ( Valença to Santiago this time 😊) but only some highlights what give an idea of the event,

I am curious about what the Anker powerbank weighs.

I have seen the clip attachment for sale on the internet and the quick disconnect system too.

My wife fabricated the harnass from the original Gopro packing box plastic coverplate with some straps and velcron .works good.
My son in law however uses a new gadget, the gyroscopic grip for steady recordng. And the Maveric drone which is fantastic.

What is the editing program you use ?
Mine is Final Cut Pro. I work with an Apple Mac also for audio recording and editing. I found out that a special for video editing built Windows computer was not stable enough .

Well thanks again

Bom caminho

Just as an FYI, I’ll have about half of the CP up in the next week or so and then get the rest up in April.

Also, I’ll be doing the Camino de la Plata is May 2019 and spring 2020 (too much walking for one trip).

You’ll also find some missing segments in the CP. The weather was dangerously hot so a few segments weren’t walked. I’m trying to pick those up in May as well.

Did something different on the CP. there are two playlists. One has just the 4K video without any guide pages or satellite image. It still has the flyover.
John I loved the first video I watched of Camino Portuguese day 1 from Lisbon. I’ll be walking it next year with my 11 yo grandson but may start from Porto. Thank you so much for your videos.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back