• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese

Jenniandjoe

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 Portuguese
We are looking forward to this Camino in late April, early May, 2013. We will be flying into Porto and probably train to Braga where we will start. Anyone else? Everyone else seems to be doing other Caminos and I am beginning to wonder if we will be out there alone....not that I mind that either but would like to meet and visit with others along the way. Also from what I have read the weather begins to warm up in April. And finally, I didn't think we would need sleeping bags along this route...any thoughts? I have learned so much from this forum and it keeps me so excited and inspired! Many thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi ,
I hope to walk the camino portuguese early May, I did it last year at about the same time and only used my silk liner,but also had a very light sleeping bag (SNUGPACK) just in case.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We did the Portuguese camino in early May of this year. It was lightly traveled compared to the French route, but you will not be the only pilgrims ... when we arrived at the albergues there were usually 30-40 each night though the trails never felt that busy. From our experience you would be glad to have a light sleeping bag ... not all facilities had blankets and our first 5 days from Barcelos were rainy and cool.

Just walked it in October.

I would definitely take a sleeping bag and do not use the blankets in the albergues. They don't wash them frequently and you never know with bed bugs. When I was off the Camino in Porto, I was bit by bed bugs (though I don't react like everyone else, I would have never known except for the blood bath on my sheets).

I walked the "real" coastal route (not the Brierley one for a day) until Ancora, so I can't speak to the route before Valenca, but I turned inland because I hadn't come across any pilgrims in four days. Once I was on the "central" route, there were plenty of pilgrims but never enough where it felt like a race for beds was on like on the CF.

I really enjoyed the route, didn't find it difficult or challenging at all and met a few people. I will tell you, the number of English speakers I encountered was low. This route seems to be walked mostly by Portuguese, Spanish and other Europeans...I encountered three Americans total.

Your experience will probably be completely different but that was mine...have fun! Portugal is beautiful and the food is amazing!

WE will be starting the Camino in Porto on May 7so you will not be alone. We have heard very good things about this route!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We started from Barcelos in early May of 1012. The first 2 days were chilly and the first 5 days were rainy (off and on) then it got hot ... but we had a fabulous time. A light sleeping bag is a good idea as the nights can be cool. Your trip will be somewhat richer if you speak and understand some Spanish or Portuguese, but you can get by without it. If you're doing the inland route try to stop for the evening at Casa Fernanda, (0035 191 458 9521) Lugar de Corgo. Fernanda and Jacinto are incredibly warm, and wonderful people. It's considerate to call ahead, but if you just show up they will find a place for you to sleep if at all possible. This is their home (though there is also a bunkhouse in the yard) and you'll get a real taste of Portuguese food, wine and hospitality. We liked it so much we're planning to return this September to do the coastal route from Porto. ¡Buen Camino!

Thank you everyone for all the tips! I am traveling with a translator...haha, my husband is Portuguese and speaks Portuguese. That is why for our first camino, we decided to go this way. Our experience though in Portugal is that the people are nice and try to be as helpful as possible. If they don't understand your language they will try and find someone who can, or work it out in sign language.
Paula H and Roddy: hope to see you on the camino - we are arriving in Portugal on April 26th but plan to hang out a day or two before we start.

hi, Jennie and Joe,

My first thought, when you said you were starting in Braga, was -- But the Camino Portugues doesn't go through Braga. I was wrong, it looks like there is a Camino from Salamanca that dips south and into Portugal and up.
http://caminosantiago.usal.es/torres/?page_id=609

I know a lot of the towns it passes through -- some incredible castle towns, some walled towns, and also if it goes through Mesao Frio, you will be walking along the Douro Valley, which is stunning.

The coastal route has been getting a lot of attention on this board, but this route would also be spectacular! It joins the route that is more familiar to most of us in Ponte de Lima.

Has anyone walked it to give comments on the marking? I don't remember seeing anything in Salamanca other than the Vdlp marking, but I may have missed it.

Buen camino, Laurie

peregrina2000 said:
The coastal route has been getting a lot of attention on this board, but this route would also be spectacular! It joins the route that is more familiar to most of us in Ponte de Lima.

The "real" (not Brierly) Coastal Route actually goes all the way up the coast...I took it as far as Ancora before turning inland...and it was SPECTACULAR! The waymarking is not very good in places and there are few albergues but plenty of other accommodations to make up for it.

We are walking at about the same time! We are flying into Vigo, and going to Valenca to spend the night, then starting our walk there - we had more limited time. We are flying in on Friday, 4/26 and beginning our walk on Saturday, 4/27. We are hoping to be in Santiago by Tuesday, but probably Wednesday, then going to Madrid on Thursday since I have never been there either.

While this is my first Camino, I have read, studied, etc. about all the Caminos, this one in particular since my partner's father was born there! I am so very excited to do this after year's of planning and trying to get there. Believe me, you aren't alone! We are already flipping coins about which one we will do next :)
Bom caminho!
Red

I am actually planning to walk the Camino with three of my friends from Lebanon in May 2013. The plan is for me to fly from the United States to Porto, Portugal, meet up there and start walking the next day. We're all looking forward to this.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
JohnPaulFrancis said:
I am actually planning to walk the Camino with three of my friends from Lebanon in May 2013. The plan is for me to fly from the United States to Porto, Portugal, meet up there and start walking the next day. We're all looking forward to this.
Hi John Paul!
It is a beautiful camino. I walked from Porto to SdC in 2011 and dream about it still. My diary and links to 600 photo's are on http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm
You should be fine in May, but be prepared for some rain, maybe early in the month. Porto to SdC will provide a few other pilgrims for company - if required. This May/June I plan to walk Lisbon to Porto, so completing the entire camino.
Ultreya!
Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

My friend Heather and I are leaving fromPorto on May 8 to make our way to Santiago. We were wondering if anyone had advice about the coastal route vs the other route out of Porto. Very excited to start this adventure!

Hello All,

Am heading out to Oporto on 24th April,will have a couple days in the city to look around and adjust to a bit of sun [has been an incredibly LONG WINTER here in England :( ], and then head north.

Ordered the brierly book on this route from internet but there has been one hiccup after another, no doubt St Jaques is getting me ready for this new Camino with a bit of the usual 'teasing and playing around' before (during and after the Camino--great stuff!) The book will arrive in time....or not.

? ROUTE: So still looking for ideas on the coastal route from Oporto or the inland route; all suggestions, thoughts are very welcome.

? WEATHER: walked SJJP to Santiago last autumn then onto Finesterra and had bits of rain. Wondering what late April early May is like

? WET WEATHER GEAR: Used a poncho last year and it was fine but a bit awkward to get on and off when needed/not needed. Was thinking more of lightweight wind/rain jacket this year

? SLEEPING BAG: Didn't need sleeping bag last autumn; silk liner was sufficient until later in October and all albuerques had blankets [good ones with only one exception :( ]

? Albuerques: received great suggestions last year and loved the places. Again looking for people's recommendations

? Places to see / places to eat: Any recommendations / suggestions warmly invited

THANKS!

Many Blessings to All,

Francesca

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Francesca - we arrive in Oporto on April 25th and our plan is to begin our walk on Sunday the 27th. We are staying two nights at the Pestanna on the Douro River and from there we have no plans. We do have Bierly's book and haven't even decided for sure which route to take although I think we are leaning toward more inland than coastal. We will most likely not walk from Oport but take metro/bus to a place north to begin...maybe just 8 to 10 miles. I have been watching the weather and it has been raining although in the past couple of days it looks like the rain is going away. So I am sure we will see you along the way at some point. We are American couple (Modesto, CA) late 50s. Jenni and Joe. My backpack is purple... :)

Hi, my brother and me will arrive in Porto on 26th of April and our plan is to start walking the same day. We hope to arrive to Santiago in 10-11 days. I am sure there will be rain, but I wonder how many people will be on the way. Is it going to be a bed war? My backpack is black.... :D

Hi,just want to say hello,i fly into Porto on the 26th,staying in Airporto Hostel 10 minutes from the airport,earned my spurs last year,walked the French Camino in April 2012 took about 30 days,was going to be a one off,but here we go again.The original plan was to walk the Coastal,but having read some reviews,will proberly save it for another day,hope to meet some of you along the way

FYI for everyone arriving in Oporto this weekend - the Portuguese Independence day is April 25. I believe they may celebrate not only on the day but the weekend after. Should be fun!!! :)

It's not the Independence Day. What we celebrate it’s the revolution against the dictatorship that we had for 48 years.

It’s celebrated on the 25th of April (Thursday this year), and probably we will not have many celebrations has that, beside manifestations on the day. It's a celebrated date with respect for the dead opposition prisoners and also the killed men on the war in the colonies.

Best regards
Diogo

Thank you for that correction...and forgive me for the "it should be fun." I guess I am thinking about how we celebrate. So sorry. :oops:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Re: Camino Portuguese July 2013

I am planning to start the Camino late June .I will start inPorto .I am wondering about the need to book accommodation in advance .I hope to meet others on the journey .ntone have any experience doing this route at th time of the year?
Thanks
Jes

Hello!!! I am from Brazil and I am planning to start the Camino on Apr'24th - May' 8th.

I still have a doubt: Start in Oporto (Camino Português) or in Astorga (Last 240km of the Camino Francês).

I believe it will be a better experience starting in Oporto, avoiding the crowd in the last 100km of the Camino Francês. Please, let me know your oppinion.

Please, apologise my english... need to practice...

Thanks... Marcos

The scenery is better from Astorga, but there will be more people! Of course, you speak the language of Porto...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, I am from Cape Town SA.
My wife and I are planning to leave Porto on the 9th of May to Santiago. The plan is to do the inland route.

I will be walking with 4 friends from the US starting in Porto on the 19th. So look for us!

My wife and I are planning to leave Porto on the 9th of May to Santiago. The plan is to do the inland route.
Hi I am form Brits in the North West province of South Africa. My sister a friend and I are also planning to do the inland route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi I am form Brits in the North West province of South Africa. My sister a friend and I are also planning to do the inland route.
There is a great misunderstanding about the inland and coastal route from Porto

Walking out of Porto ,starting at the Cathedral you can choose either direction Vilarinho and on to São Pedro de Rates or you can walk the detour alongside the coast for about 20 kms to Vila do Conde and than on to São Pedro de Rates.in both ways you are on the inland route. The advantage of following the detour is that it is a beautiful and quiet route. The one direction airport and Vilarinho is very busy with traffic, you have to cross busy roads and walk on the narrow hardshoulder of busy roads.

The Coastal route is a different one. It follows the coast from Porto Matosinhos ,Vila do Conde all away up to Viano do Castelo and on to Caminho, Baiona and so on to Vigo and you join the inland route in Redondela in Spain so you walk about 150 kms alongside the ocean.
The inland route is well facilitaded with albergues and hostals within 20 kms distance as a day walk.

Look at a map of Portugal and Spain and you'll see the difference between the inland and coastal route.

Bom caminho

Hello!!! I am from Brazil and I am planning to start the Camino on Apr'24th - May' 8th.

I still have a doubt: Start in Oporto (Camino Português) or in Astorga (Last 240km of the Camino Francês).

I believe it will be a better experience starting in Oporto, avoiding the crowd in the last 100km of the Camino Francês. Please, let me know your oppinion.

Please, apologise my english... need to practice...

Thanks... Marcos
Creo Você gostara o caminho Português . !:) E verdade o caminho Português é mais tranquillo !

Um abraço disso lado do mundo e bom caminho

Last edited:
Hi, my brother and me will arrive in Porto on 26th of April and our plan is to start walking the same day. We hope to arrive to Santiago in 10-11 days. I am sure there will be rain, but I wonder how many people will be on the way. Is it going to be a bed war? My backpack is black.... :D
On the caminho Portuges is no bed race. The caminho Português is much more quiet than f.ex.the camino Frances.starting from Porto you will find a bed in an albergue or hostal many times in less than 20 kms walk.
Advise. Day one leaving Porto take the detour from Porto Matosinhos along side the coast for 20 kms to Vila do Conde and walk from there to the inland route starting at São Pedro de Rates and on to Barcelos. All written in John Brierleys guide.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Francesca - we arrive in Oporto on April 25th and our plan is to begin our walk on Sunday the 27th. We are staying two nights at the Pestanna on the Douro River and from there we have no plans. We do have Bierly's book and haven't even decided for sure which route to take although I think we are leaning toward more inland than coastal. We will most likely not walk from Oport but take metro/bus to a place north to begin...maybe just 8 to 10 miles. I have been watching the weather and it has been raining although in the past couple of days it looks like the rain is going away. So I am sure we will see you along the way at some point. We are American couple (Modesto, CA) late 50s. Jenni and Joe. My backpack is purple... :)
Advice start in Matosinhos ,10 kms north of Porto. Easy to reach by metro. Look in your Brierley guide and follow the detour as been written down.

I just did the portuguese at the seaside up to Vilar do Conde, changed to the central via Rates and i´m still in Santiago. The heavy rain gave a lot of trouble to the aerea here, but i think now the sun will help to dry the ways. Santiago is great, the way is great, the food in Galicia is great. This way is no problem to walk. To start, take the Metro, Line A to Mercador (Direction of Senhora de Matoshinhos) and cross the brigde. Straight at the end of that bridge is the first yellow arrow. Easy to find.

regards and bom caminho

Hi Dirk
A friend and I will be arriving in Porto on 7 May, travel by train to Valenca and start our camino from there on the 10 May. Valenca - Porrino - Arade - Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis - Padron - SdC (15 May). We are from Pretoria en this will be our first camino.
We are flying from SdC to Madrid on 17 May. Maybe we can meet in SdC? You are the first South African I came across on this forum!
Buen camino!
Estelle.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Dirk
A friend and I will be arriving in Porto on 7 May, travel by train to Valenca and start our camino from there on the 10 May. Valenca - Porrino - Arade - Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis - Padron - SdC (15 May). We are from Pretoria en this will be our first camino.
We are flying from SdC to Madrid on 17 May. Maybe we can meet in SdC? You are the first South African I came across on this forum!
Buen camino!
Estelle.

Why not Redondela? There is not much to see in Arcade, and in Redondela you can stay in this beautiful Albergue:

134.JPG

141.JPG

153.JPG

160.JPG

More pictures of it in here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/106626984905339821268/albums/5998091011773879025

Hi Dirk
Buen camino!
Estelle.

Our lates plan is to start at Porto on the 9th, take the coastal route the first day and hope to reach SdC the 21st on the latest. Another SA couple is joining us in Rubias. After the Camino we are going back to Porto for 3 days before we fly back to SA on the 25th. This is going to be a looong and relaxing one for us.
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am wondering, most people who walk the coast the first day apparently take the metro to Matosinhos? Why? Is this walk from porto citu to matosinhos unatractive? How far is it to walk to Matosinhos? And how far from matosinhos then to vila do conde?

Other question: porto to vila do conde or porto to Vilarinho?

Which one is nicer? And why?

I am in doubt, amd dont know what the deciding factor shall be. I would like to do both, but allas, it doesn't work that way hahaha :)
Well, if it rains ect, then inland. Rain, wind and ocean do not seem like an ideal walking combination, but not looking at the weather, what to do....? Any thought on these options?

Even greater when you find out the secret passages ;)
When we were there on a sunny sunday end of May last year there was the feast of the Dragon, Spaniards love fiestas- we ate fish prepared in vinegar, horrable taste so there was no time left to find the secret passages. Only slept with fifty snorring people in bunkbeds.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am wondering, most people who walk the coast the first day apparently take the metro to Matosinhos? Why? Is this walk from porto citu to matosinhos unatractive? How far is it to walk to Matosinhos? And how far from matosinhos then to vila do conde?

Dangerous road walking mate. 8km of road walking with almost no space between you and the cars.

When we were there on a sunny sunday end of May last year there was the feast of the Dragon, Spaniards love fiestas- we ate fish prepared in vinegar, horrable taste so there was no time left to find the secret passages. Only slept with fifty snorring people in bunkbeds.

Ohhhh, my lovely walks in early Spring :D

Other question: porto to vila do conde or porto to Vilarinho?

Which one is nicer? And why?

I am in doubt, amd dont know what the deciding factor shall be. I would like to do both, but allas, it doesn't work that way hahaha :)
Well, if it rains ect, then inland. Rain, wind and ocean do not seem like an ideal walking combination, but not looking at the weather, what to do....? Any thought on these options?
Well most people count on 14 days from Porto and the distance from Porto Sé Cathedral to Matosinhos is 10 kms extra and the one who advises to take the metro is John Brierley, author of the guide in which this is mentioned.
The walk from Sé to Matosinhos is great by the way.first you follow the river Douro and than the Atlantic ocean.from Matosinhos to Vila do Conde is 20 kms alongside the ocean on a wooden boardwalk most of the time. The last few kms go through a kind of dunelandscape
From Vila do Conde to São Pedro de Rates is about 15 kms and you are back on the ruta Central to Barcelos ,Ponte de Lima and Tui
If you like to walk on hard shoulders of busy roads, trucks, busses and cars rushing by, walk from Porto to Vilarinho. The Matosinhos-Vila do Conde detour is a nicer and safer walk for that reason
Bom caminho

Last edited:
Well most people count on 14 days from Porto and the distance from Porto Sé Cathedral to Matosinhos is 10 kms extra and the one who advises to take the metro is John Brierley, author of the guide in which this is mentioned.
The walk from Sé to Matosinhos is great by the way.first you follow the river Douro and than the Atlantic ocean.from Matosinhos to Vila do Conde is 20 kms alongside the ocean on a wooden boardwalk most of the time. The last few kms go through a kind of dunelandscape
From Vila do Conde to São Pedro de Rates is about 15 kms and you are back on the ruta interior to Barcelos ,Ponte de Lima and Tui
If you like to walk on hard shoulders of busy roads, trucks, busses and cars rushing by, walk from Porto to Vilarinho. The Matosinhos-Vila do Conde detour is a nicer and safer walk for that reason
Bom caminho

Thanks for the reply, Albertinho. Bedankt :)

I think it's going to be the coastal walk on day 1, if the weater is good, but i see @Diogo92 mentioning (above) that the walk from Porto to Matosinhos is also an 8km long busy dangerous road, just like Porto to Vilarinho.

So they are both busy with traffic? One maybe just a bit less then the other?

Thanks for the reply, Albertinho. Bedankt :)

I think it's going to be the coastal walk on day 1, if the weater is good, but i see @Diogo92 mentioning (above) that the walk from Porto to Matosinhos is also an 8km long busy dangerous road, just like Porto to Vilarinho.

So they are both busy with traffic? One maybe just a bit less then the other?

NO, no, no! Sorry mate, the 8km that I was talking about, are the ones that Albert described. I usually change it backwards o_O

I don't think that you are going to have any problems with the weather, but who knows. It has been raining in Lisbon, and almost all Portugal, since the end of last week.

NO, no, no! Sorry mate, the 8km that I was talking about, are the ones that Albert described. I usually change it backwards o_O

I don't think that you are going to have any problems with the weather, but who knows. It has been raining in Lisbon, and almost all Portugal, since the end of last week.

So the walk from Porto sé to Matosinhos is nice? Not busy with traffic?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From what Albertinho said, nope. The problem is going into inside the mainland (Vilarinho). Matosinhos it's located near the ocean, far from almost everything industrial :)

No From Porto to Matosinhos you walk in the agglomeration of Porto but alongside the river on a boardwalk andat the end of the mouth of the river you follow a nice boardwalk alongside the sea. Beautiful walk it ends in Matosinhos which is the harbour of Porto. There you cross a bridge and than begins the wooden boardwalk for about 15 kms direction Vila do Conde
The last 3 or 4 kms you walk through a landscape of dunes and you'll arrive in the suburbs of Vila do Conde
Look at my Dutch reisblog http://nel-en-albert-op-pelgrimreis.reismee.nl

Bom caminho

I think you are Dutch ? Send me a pm with your emailaddress and I will give you some info in Dutch but please tomorrow or donderdag because we will leave for our next camino on friday next to Spain.
Met vriendelijke groeten

Albertinho

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Why not Redondela? There is not much to see in Arcade, and in Redondela you can stay in this beautiful Albergue:

View attachment 9322

View attachment 9323

View attachment 9324

View attachment 9325

More pictures of it in here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/106626984905339821268/albums/5998091011773879025
Hi Diogo!
Your photos are stunning! Our camino was arranged by Portugal Green Walks and they booked the accomodation. But we will be passing through Redondela.
Looking forward to it!

Hi Dirk
Buen camino!
Estelle.

Hi Pretoria! We are doing exactly the same but on June 29th. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One day in Porto. Any suggestions what to see, to do?

I think that the question is, what not to do :p

Visit the Cathedral, have a walk near the Douro River, go to Gaia (on the other bank of the river) and visit the houses of Porto wine (a lot of brands in there), visit Clérigos, Livraria Lello, so many things!

Hi there! Which route are you taking? A friend and I will arrive in Porto on 7 May and start our camino in Valenca on 10 May arriving in SdC on 15 May. Two days in SdC and then off to Madrid for another two days.
Good to see so many South Africans on this forum. By the way we are from Pretoria.

One day in Porto. Any suggestions what to see, to do?
Hij there, you should definitely rake se don Pancho informal walking guide tour, check it out at the hotels in porto. Great andere very friendly guides, very Nice tour

Hi there! Which route are you taking? A friend and I will arrive in Porto on 7 May and start our camino in Valenca on 10 May arriving in SdC on 15 May. Two days in SdC and then off to Madrid for another two days.
Good to see so many South Africans on this forum. By the way we are from Pretoria.
Re your Blackberry ! Walk over the bridge from Valença to Tui (mind one hour timedifference Portugal is one hour earlier ). look in the center of Tui in Calle Rosa Bahamonde no 12 nearby the albergue There is a telephoneshop who can provide you the prepaid simcard.
Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back