• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese.

saville

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino St Francis October 2018
Last October I did the CF. This September I would like to do the CP. I will be travelling from Ireland. Can anyone please enlighten me on the route Starting point and how many Kilometres per day over a 7 day walking.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello @saville. Are you starting from Porto? Lisbon? I cover both, and their official starting points. You may have to start in Rubiaes or Tui to make it to SdC in only seven days, depending on how far you plan to walk in a day. That is if you plan on doing the Central Route. Start at my day nineteen to see your options. There is a lot of history here!

If you plan to do the Coastal Route/Senda Litoral, start in either Caminha or Mougas, on day nineteen of mine as well. Click on the links for more information.

Or you can pick and choose which section you want to do anywhere along the Way! Many Ways on the Camino Portugues. Good luck and Buen Camino!

Hello @saville. Are you starting from Porto? Lisbon? I cover both, and their official starting points. You may have to start in Rubiaes or Tui to make it to SdC in only seven days, depending on how far you plan to walk in a day. That is if you plan on doing the Central Route. Start at my day nineteen to see your options. There is a lot of history here!

If you plan to do the Coastal Route/Senda Litoral, start in either Caminha or Mougas, on day nineteen of mine as well. Click on the links for more information.

Or you can pick and choose which section you want to do anywhere along the Way! Many Ways on the Camino Portugues. Good luck and Buen Camino!
Better to start in Valença do Minho or Tui.
It is hardly possible to get to Rubiães in a decent way by public transport.
There is an excellent train connection from Porto to Valença

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last October I did the CF. This September I would like to do the CP. I will be travelling from Ireland. Can anyone please enlighten me on the route Starting point and how many Kilometres per day over a 7 day walking.
Tui or Valença, or Ponte de Lima if you really push yourself, which I wouldn't.
Buen Camino

Valença do Minho to Porriño is 22 km ( from Tui 18 kms )
O Porriño to Redondela 20 kms. Better walk 3 km furter to Cessantes to the Refúxio de la Jérezana ( better than the smelly noisy municipal alberge in Redondela)
Redondela to Pontevedra 18 kms ( from Cessantes 15 kms)
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 21 kms
Caldas de Reis to Padrón 18 kms
Padrón to Santiago de. Ompostela 24 kms
Stay an extra day in Santiago to enjoy the atmosphere .

Pega bem e bom caminho

Albertinho do Cavaquinho

Hi Elie,
I have looked at your website a few times and read many of your posts. First, thanks for all that knowledge!
Second, as you seem to be well-versed on CP, can you tell me what type of shoes are best for the terrain? I wore light boots on CF and they worked great. I know my feet well enough that I need something sturdy, but
from what I can tell, I think I can do with something lighter-duty than my current boots. Can you make any recommendations base on your experience - I'm talking type of shoe, not necessarily brand of shoe.
Thanks!
Lynne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@LynneR. All I can say is that the cobblestones will beat up your feet! I used low top trail shoes, with sturdier soles and found that by about 400 km into our trip from Lisbon, that it wasn't enough. I purchased cushioned inserts and that helped a bit. I do not feel you need high top boots, but something as cushioned as possible.

Hello Elle Thank you so much for your reply much appreciate. I am flying into Porto and hope to start Camino walk in Tui. Coastal route? Can you please let me what transport is best to travel from porto airport to Tui.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Take the metro from the airport to the Campanha raiwaystation in Porto and take the train to Valença do Minho. From there walk through the fortress (waymarked caminho) and over the famous bridge(built by George Eiffel from the Paris Eiffel tower) into Spain and end up in Tui after 3 kms. Lovely journey. The train partly follows the Atlantic ocean and the beautiful Portuguese inland of the Minho region and the Minho river. In 4 weeks from now I take the train to Valença too and start my caminho from there.

Passa bem e bom caminho

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back