• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino postponed

GettingThere

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Roncesvalles-SdC Apr-Jun 2015
Roncesvalles-Sarria Sep-Oct 2017
C. Frances sections Apr-Jun 2019
Well, that's a topic heading I never thought I'd have to write. My mother and I were due to set off for France this weekend to start our Camino Frances. Instead of which, I've spent the last few days whirling around various medical establishments, and cancelling all our bookings. A health issue has reared its head (for me), and I need to get it investigated and dealt with. Not sure what will happen at this stage, but I'm having an investigative procedure under anaesthetic this Friday, and depending on the results I will probably need surgery.

I've commented before on the Forum that since deciding to walk the Camino both of us have been plagued by numerous minor health issues. I've tried hard not to see them as signs that we shouldn't be doing it - this latest is the last (I hope!) in a long line, but the most serious and so it has done what the other things couldn't, and forced us to stay. In hindsight, there have been many other things, including house-sitters and other key people becoming unavailable (we have land and animals, so have "special needs" when going away from home!). I guess we were trying to look on it all as part of the challenge - maybe something was trying to get us to stop after all.

We're trying hard to look on this as a postponement, and we're looking at next April as a good alternative time for our Camino. Several people have commented to us in the past few days about how lovely Spain is in the Spring, and I know from many Forum threads that it's a popular time to walk. So I'm trying to focus on that, and not on Big Scary Things which might be coming my way in the next few weeks. This Forum will be a great source of comfort over the next few months (it has been already), and I've read some wonderful threads from others who have had to postpone or had health difficulties. I'll keep reading them!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My sympathy for your plans and expectations going awry - but your health and well-being come first. The constant refrain of "listen to your body" is not only for blisters! It is all a journey but never quite the one we expect. I hope that St James will comfort you, save you from any distress and gently lead you through the medical treatments and that you will arrive safely in Santiago in good health in due time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well, that's a topic heading I never thought I'd have to write. My mother and I were due to set off for France this weekend to start our Camino Frances. Instead of which, I've spent the last few days whirling around various medical establishments, and cancelling all our bookings. A health issue has reared its head (for me), and I need to get it investigated and dealt with. Not sure what will happen at this stage, but I'm having an investigative procedure under anaesthetic this Friday, and depending on the results I will probably need surgery.

I've commented before on the Forum that since deciding to walk the Camino both of us have been plagued by numerous minor health issues. I've tried hard not to see them as signs that we shouldn't be doing it - this latest is the last (I hope!) in a long line, but the most serious and so it has done what the other things couldn't, and forced us to stay. In hindsight, there have been many other things, including house-sitters and other key people becoming unavailable (we have land and animals, so have "special needs" when going away from home!). I guess we were trying to look on it all as part of the challenge - maybe something was trying to get us to stop after all.

We're trying hard to look on this as a postponement, and we're looking at next April as a good alternative time for our Camino. Several people have commented to us in the past few days about how lovely Spain is in the Spring, and I know from many Forum threads that it's a popular time to walk. So I'm trying to focus on that, and not on Big Scary Things which might be coming my way in the next few weeks. This Forum will be a great source of comfort over the next few months (it has been already), and I've read some wonderful threads from others who have had to postpone or had health difficulties. I'll keep reading them!
I completely and whole heartily sympathize with you.
Beth and I started a similar conversation last night, just some 25 days from departure.
I've been dealing with some gastric issues that so far have evaded diagnosis and treatment. Lately, it has become chronic and at times severe enough to prevent sleep and normal activity. I've tried to tough it out, but am concerned.
I've had a couple of cardiac procedures this year and have my doctor's blessing for the Camino. But the stomach seems to be calling the shots now.
I'm not going to make any travel changes just yet, but I'll have to decide soon.

GettingThere, I understand how disappointed you are. I'm feeling low and depressed myself.
We might be part of the April 2015 group as well. If so, I hope we can meet to toast our fortune, good and bad.

Undecided in Tampa,
CaptBuddy

GT-- it is often said and repeated that the Camino provides. Your pilgrimage has already begun, so take this time as prep time for the Camino that is meant for you. Focus on your health; nothing meant to be is complicated.
April it is!! Buen Camino!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@CaptBuddy - our sympathies. Try avoiding all artificial sweeteners and any food with di/tri phosphates. This means avoiding processed food if possible and cooking from fresh, checking ingredients and 'compulsively' (;)) reading labels. (A magnifying glass can be useful here). It can take a few weeks to truly settle down, but if it is the chemical additives then you should see some improvement fairly quickly. It is not something doctors seem to check out in the normal tests etc.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for these kind words. I do so appreciate your support.

CaptBuddy - sorry to hear about your stomach troubles - I hope things work out for your planned departure but if not, I hope to meet you on the Way in April!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@CaptBuddy - our sympathies. Try avoiding all artificial sweeteners and any food with di/tri phosphates. This means avoiding processed food if possible and cooking from fresh, checking ingredients and 'compulsively' (;)) reading labels. (A magnifying glass can be useful here). It can take a few weeks to truly settle down, but if it is the chemical additives then you should see some improvement fairly quickly. It is not something doctors seem to check out in the normal tests etc.
Thanks Tia. I never eat any of those things. Don't even drink sodas. And I've had my type 2 diabetes under control with diet and exercise for 5 years now, without any medications. It seems to be complicated, as testing has revealed nothing.
I've not given up, and I appreciate the support.

@ GettingThere : Wishing you well on your procedure this Friday! Our prayers are with you!! I hope you will be able to do your Camino next year!

@CaptBuddy : Not sure what your ailment is, but I was having stomach problems too, (IBS for short), they said there was no known cause and no known cure, just had to watch what I ate and eliminate the things that gave me problems. Well I found a cure, its called the Camino!! Never had a problem the whole time we were there :) It was even better when I returned home, just learned to eat better! Good luck to you too and prayers to you!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I feel so disappointed for you both so close to your camino dates and you must feel very anxious about your health's also. Remember as it has been said earlier you are already on camino and it will provide the strength you will need to overcome these issues.
@ GettingThere : try not to be anxious with the procedure and possible need surgery it is never easy but try to concentrate on making a full recovery. My thoughts will be with you and your mother.

@CaptBuddy : If you decide to go do take care Beth is going to worry if you are not right and only you can know your own tummy i have no advice I could give like Tia, but again my thoughts are also with you and Beth.

I feel so disappointed for you both so close to your camino dates and you must feel very anxious about your health's also. Remember as it has been said earlier you are already on camino and it will provide the strength you will need to overcome these issues.
@ GettingThere : try not to be anxious with the procedure and possible need surgery it is never easy but try to concentrate on making a full recovery. My thoughts will be with you and your mother.

@CaptBuddy : If you decide to go do take care Beth is going to worry if you are not right and only you can know your own tummy i have no advice I could give like Tia, but again my thoughts are also with you and Beth.
I'm pushing Beth for a Plan B. Start as scheduled, if I, or we, have problems that preclude us continuing, we'd take a train to Estapona and lay on the beach for a couple of weeks. :D

We've waited and planned our return for 2 years. It will happen this year, or next. Thanks again for the support.
I hope GettingThere finds that her problems are minor, and quickly overcome.

Buen camino Captbuddy and Beth let us know how you get on @GettingThere, you too Buen camino for your journey this Friday take care let us know how you get on.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sometimes the Camino calls us. And other times, the Camino advises that, despite our wishes and ambitions, now is not the right time. One needs to trust this is for the best. Myself, I have experienced these "redirections" twice now, once for my first walk, once for my fifth.

I think it is part of the Camino experience to recognize that we are not in control, that we depend on others, and that what we want is different from what we need. Perhaps this is part of the message.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola GT - yes, as we say in Oz "its a real bummer" - but as your fellow pilgrims have posted - get the health matters fixed before you start your Camino. There are more than enough problems that will develop without bringing a few with you. Hope treatment is successful and you and mum find yourselves at SJPP shortly after Easter next year ready to walk.:rolleyes::):cool:

Hi
We all walk different Camino's not all of them in Spain, just stay positive, your walk has started earlier than you know. Your journey is longer than most but you will make it I am sure, mine started in 2013 and I am still on my journey second time in Spain it will be the second time I get to Saintiago but I have yet to know or see or feel that I am finished. Go man and Buen Camino

Thinking of you and wishing for the best outcome with your tests....the Camino will Still be there and, when the time is right, you will Walk it. Camino Hugs and smiles.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, the latest update is that things could be better, but could be worse too! Turns out I've got a cancer of the uterus, but it's quite an early stage and the prognosis is excellent with surgery. So now I'm impatiently waiting for that - should be within the next few weeks - after which I can focus on recovery (6 weeks off work!) and - gradually - getting back to walking, which has become my stress relief and relaxation since I've been training for the Camino. I've had approval from my employer to take my rescheduled Camino time off (3 months) starting next April, by which time I will be fit again and raring to go, while allowing a good long time so we can take it easy and only walk as far and as fast as seems right. This has all knocked the Earth off its orbit somewhat for me over the past few weeks, but having that Camino goal and knowing I'll be not only fit but in better shape than ever by then is very encouraging. So here's my list of why all this has happened at just the right time:

1. I'm fit from all that camino training so in excellent condition for surgery!
2. This didn't all blow up after we were already on the Way! And 10 days later we would have been, so it was a close call.
3. I've got all the arrangements at work already in place for a long absence, so taking the post-surgery recovery time will be a simple matter of re-activating those.
4. We get to go on Camino in the Spring!
5. I will (as many women friends have tactfully put it) "feel like a new woman" and have a much less complicated Camino trip!

I am so grateful for this Forum and for the kindness and support of its members - I feel as though I already have my Camino Family, and that will be such a big part of getting me through the next little while. I'll be on the Forum as much as possible, continuing to plan and adjust for a Camino in a different season, and knowing that the time will pass all too quickly.

GettingThere
xx

Yes there is "luck" and "other luck". In your case I think its "really great luck"- the advances in modern medicine are one of the wonders of the 21C. My mom had this surgery more than 30 years ago and is still going strong (@90). I agree your walking will have you in great shape (physically and even mentally) for the operating table; your surgeon will also appreciate any weight you have taken off!!

So we will all have our fingers crossed and saying a couple of small prayers. Buen Camino:):):)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Gettingthere thank you for taking the time to let us all know your news, fitness does play a big part in how quickly you recover and so pleased to hear you have managed to reorganise your camino for next spring. You must have a very kind boss who appreciates you. I hope you get your surgery very soon and wish you a speedy recovery. If you post your op day or PM me I will think of you in my prayers. Buen camino you are getting there!

Well, the latest update is that things could be better, but could be worse too! Turns out I've got a cancer of the uterus, but it's quite an early stage and the prognosis is excellent with surgery. So now I'm impatiently waiting for that - should be within the next few weeks - after which I can focus on recovery (6 weeks off work!) and - gradually - getting back to walking, which has become my stress relief and relaxation since I've been training for the Camino. I've had approval from my employer to take my rescheduled Camino time off (3 months) starting next April, by which time I will be fit again and raring to go, while allowing a good long time so we can take it easy and only walk as far and as fast as seems right. This has all knocked the Earth off its orbit somewhat for me over the past few weeks, but having that Camino goal and knowing I'll be not only fit but in better shape than ever by then is very encouraging. So here's my list of why all this has happened at just the right time:

1. I'm fit from all that camino training so in excellent condition for surgery!
2. This didn't all blow up after we were already on the Way! And 10 days later we would have been, so it was a close call.
3. I've got all the arrangements at work already in place for a long absence, so taking the post-surgery recovery time will be a simple matter of re-activating those.
4. We get to go on Camino in the Spring!
5. I will (as many women friends have tactfully put it) "feel like a new woman" and have a much less complicated Camino trip!

I am so grateful for this Forum and for the kindness and support of its members - I feel as though I already have my Camino Family, and that will be such a big part of getting me through the next little while. I'll be on the Forum as much as possible, continuing to plan and adjust for a Camino in a different season, and knowing that the time will pass all too quickly.

GettingThere
xx
I'm glad to hear that you're in good spirits about things and that you will reschedule later.
Trust me, as a cancer survivor, you will have plenty of company on the Camino. We first did it when my wife got her 5 year all clear.
Best wishes, and Buen Camino.

Our prayers too for the operation and a swift recovery. If you are happy to post your op day can you put it on the 'A moment of thought...' thread too? (I have just added a link there to your latest post here). If not a PM as to pilgrimb would be good.
Love and prayers..........

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Lovely to hear you sounding so positive GettingThere, and I agree about the Camino in spring - it is beautiful. And you also get to enjoy this spring in New Zealand - a lovely time to be recuperating hopefully in a garden and among flowers and stunning scenery. Glad you there, with a second-to-none health care system.

Getting There, in my life there have times that I have experienced similar things to your recent trials. It seems like the world works against you accomplishing a certain task and yet I am assured that your choice is the right one. We take it one step at a time, one day at a time, and keep moving forward. It is too difficult at times to seek out the horizon and much easier to just look where we place our next step. There is a reason why things happen and the Camino will reveal herself to you. The lesson is not to seek after it, but to allow it to slowly bloom before you.

God bless you,

I pray for a speedy recovery from your illness and from the moment you desided to walk the way your camino had all ready started its not just the walk its the planning for it, Its taking part in the forum, Its booking the time off work, The travel arangments etc etc, thats all part of your journey even your illness is setting you on a new path your camino your way, We may not be there in person to walk it with you but walk we will in our thoughts and prayers. I discovered a long time ago that we are never alone even when we think we are,
Buen Camino and God Bless

Thank you all so much for these kind words - I get such a boost every time I read your replies and feel the warmth and support from so many corners of the world!

My surgery is now scheduled - Tuesday 23rd, so only just over a week to wait now. I'll be in hospital for a few days, then I have to take about 6 weeks off work to recover. So once my brain is out of the woolly stage I'll be spending lots of time on the Forum and planning for our April Camino!

Thank you all so much for these kind words - I get such a boost every time I read your replies and feel the warmth and support from so many corners of the world!
Will be thinking of you and hoping that all goes well with your surgery, recovery and onward planning.....Love and Prayers....Susanawee

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm pushing Beth for a Plan B. Start as scheduled, if I, or we, have problems that preclude us continuing, we'd take a train to Estapona and lay on the beach for a couple of weeks. :D

We've waited and planned our return for 2 years. It will happen this year, or next. Thanks again for the support.
I hope GettingThere finds that her problems are minor, and quickly overcome.

CaptBuddy are you feeling any better now two weeks on are you still going on plan B?

CaptBuddy are you feeling any better now two weeks on are you still going on plan B?
I have been using high potency digestive enzymes and probiotics, along with some diet changes, and have been happy with the turnaround. I'm not 100%, but close to 80%. I figure that is good enough for Plan A. ;)
In fact our plane leaves Tampa in 7 days, and the excitement is thick around here. We're so looking forward to returning to Spain and the Camino.
(Bonus - my cousin in Santander is having a baby just about the time we finish walking and we'll be heading to Cantabria for a visit.)
I've been sleeping better, and managing during the day. I'm walking and doing great, with and without backpack.
We're staying at Corazon Puro on the first night, and starting from there, for 2 short days to Pamplona. I think the slower start will build confidence.

Pilgrim B, everything is a go. Thanks for the well wishes.
Buen Camino to all my September 2014 Camigos.

My surgery is now scheduled - Tuesday 23rd, so only just over a week to wait now. I'll be in hospital for a few days, then I have to take about 6 weeks off work to recover. So once my brain is out of the woolly stage I'll be spending lots of time on the Forum and planning for our April Camino!

All my, and I'm sure our best wishes and prayers for you tomorrow Gettingthere take courage you are in expert hands and in our thoughts Buen Camino on your path to recovery.:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you pilgrimb and everyone, for all of these kind messages and prayers. The op went well, I'll be in hospital another couple of days then home to recover and await further results. As you see I can't stay away from the Forum for long! I thought of your kind words and good wishes as I went into theatre, it really did help.

So pleased to hear of your success and that you can soon return home to convalesce, as on camino take things nice and steady no rush and look after that body and may you be blessed too with your awaited results.:)

Last edited:
Sending you healing thoughts and prayers 'Getting there' and hoping that your recovery stage is going well. You are a very positive person and I am sure that you will be up and about and into gentle training again before you know it. Camino Hugs ...Sue.

Just a quick update - I've now had the "all clear" (nothing found anywhere else, no further treatment required, follow-up in 4 months then annually) and am recovering well. My Camino walking training beforehand has been a huge help and has meant I have been able to get active again very quickly. Doing lots of walking, now up to about a 2km walk each day plus a few shorter ones. And most importantly - we have now re-booked our flights for next April, planning to start walking from St Jean on April 16th. We're on our way!

Thank you again for all the prayers and kind words of support.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

The Camino isn't going anywhere. It is there whenever you are ready. You must take care of yourself first. Just read your update. What great news.
Do you know that Your journey to the Camino has already started? These health issues were just a pause in wonderful road ahead.
Buen Camino.

Just a quick update - I've now had the "all clear" (nothing found anywhere else, no further treatment required, follow-up in 4 months then annually) and am recovering well. My Camino walking training beforehand has been a huge help and has meant I have been able to get active again very quickly. Doing lots of walking, now up to about a 2km walk each day plus a few shorter ones. And most importantly - we have now re-booked our flights for next April, planning to start walking from St Jean on April 16th. We're on our way!

Thank you again for all the prayers and kind words of support.

Great news!
May I suggest that you try not to do too much too quickly, you have ample time to get as physically ready as you are mentally prepared.
I understand from others you are starting during a beautiful time of the year.
Enjoy your preparation, planning and dreams of your Camino.
Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
What wonderful news Getting there, I am so pleased to hear you are on the mend and able to look at your future life with real excitement and joy.
Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back