• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Prayers

Sue M

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-Burgos(2012)Leon-Santiago(2013)Sarria- Santiago(Sept 2013),Frances (coach,2013),Le Puy-Conques(May 2014), parish pilgrimage organised for June 2015.
I hope this isn't breaking the rules about religious disussion, but does anyone know of any Camino prayers other than the one from O'Cebreiro?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think your question is one which seek information more than it is a religious statement.

I found this on the internet:

A Pilgrim's Prayer to St. James
This is an ancient prayer that comes at the end of the Pilgrim Mass said along the Camino de
Santiago:

"O God, who brought your servant Abraham out of the land of the Chaldeans, protecting him in
his wanderings, who guided the Hebrew people across the desert, we ask that you watch over us,
your servants, as we walk in the love of your name to Santiago de Compostela.

Be for us our companion on the walk,
Our guide at the crossroads,
Our breath in our weariness,
Our protection in danger,
Our albergue on the Camino,
Our shade in the heat,
Our light in the darkness,
Our consolation in our discouragements,
And our strength in our intentions.

So that with your guidance we may arrive safe and sound at the end of the Road and enriched
with grace and virtue we return safely to our homes filled with joy.

In the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.
Apostle Santiago, pray for us.
Santa Maria, pray for us."

A different version of the Roncesvalles Blessing and a few others:

"Oh God, You who took up your servant Abraham from the city of Ur of the
Chaldeans, watching over him in all his wanderings.

You who were the guide of the Hebrew people in the desert, we ask that You deign
to take care of these your servants who, for love of your name, make a pilgrimage
to Compostela.

Be a companion for them along the path, a guide at crossroads, strength in their
weariness, defense before dangers, shelter on the way, shade against the heat, light
in the darkness, a comforter in their discouragements, and firmness in their
intentions, in order that, through your guidance, they might arrive unscathed at the end of their
journey and, enriched with graces and virtues, they might return safely to their
homes, which now lament their absence, filled with salutary and lasting joy.
Through Jesus Christ Your Son, Who lives and reigns with You, in the unity of the
Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

May the blessing of Almighty God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, descend on you.

All: Amen.

Priest: May the Lord direct your steps with his approval, and be your inseparable

companion on the entire Camino.

Priest: May the Virgin Mary grant you her maternal protection, defend you in all
dangers of soul and body, and may you merit to arrive safely at the end of your pilgrimage
under her mantle.

Priest: May the Archangel Rafael accompany you on the Camino as he

accompanied Tobias, and protect you from every injury and obstacle.

All: Amen."

"In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, receive this pouch, habit for your
pilgrimage, so that, castigated and corrected, you hasten to prostrate at Saint James'

feet, where you yearn to arrive and, after having completed your journey, you
come to us delighted with the help of God, who rules over the world without end.
Amen.

Receive this staff as support for the journey and your efforts during your
pilgrimage so that you are able to defeat the throngs of enemies and thus arrive
safely at Saint James' feet and, after having completed your journey, you come to
us delighted with the consent of the same God, who lives in and rules over Heaven
without end. Amen. II

C: Our help is in the name of the Lord.

R: Who made heaven and earth.

C: The Lord be with you.

R: And also with you."

Let us pray.
"O Lord whose word makes all things holy, bless we beseech you these emblems,
rucksacks and bikes to be used on this pilgrimage. Mayall those who use them
arrive safely at the shrine of St. James the Apostle, the objective of their journey.
We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen"

PRAYER
"All-powerful God, you always show mercy toward those who you love and you are
never far away for those who seek you. Be with your servants on this pilgrimage
and guide their way in accord with your will. Be a companion for them along their
journey, a guide at crossroads, strength in their weariness, defence before dangers,
shelter on the way, shade against the heat, light in the darkness, a comforter in their
discouragements, and firmness in their intentions, in order that, through your
guidance, they might arrive unscathed at the end of their journey and, enriched
with graces and virtues, they might return safely home; through Jesus Christ Your
Son, Who lives and reigns with You, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for
ever and ever."

Together we say the Pilgrims ' Prayer:
"St James, Apostle
Chosen among the first
You were the first to drink
The Cup of the Master
And you are the great protector of pilgrims;
Make us strong in faith
And happy in hope
On our pilgrim joumey
Following the path of Christian life
And sustain us so that
We may finally reach the glory of God the Father
Amen"

Lettinggo

The Camino is truly magical. Here I am sitting at my computer putting the finishing touches on a blessing I am to give today for pilgrims who will be walking the Camino this year. I glanced at my email, saw a message with the list of daily posts on this forum and the first item on the list was "Camino Prayers." Just the inspiration I needed. Thanks.

Things like this do not happen by chance.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My wife and I had two short prayers that we said together each day before we started walking. One was from Joyce Rupp's excellent Camino book, Walk in a Relaxed Manner:

Guardian of my soul,
Guide me on my way this day.
Keep me safe from harm.
Deepen my relationship with you,
your earth, and all your family.
Strengthen your love within me
that I may be a presence of
your peace in our world.
Amen

The other, which we wrote ourselves, was:

We thank you Lord for this day and for all our blessings.
We thank you for calling us on this journey,
and we call upon St James to intercede for us as we ask that you guide and protect us
as you have guided all the pilgrims who have preceded us.
We offer all our hopes, joys, sufferings and pains along the way as an act of faith in you, Father.
And we ask that you help us to walk in a relaxed manner in your presence each day.
Amen.

(You can see our personal prayer was influenced in part by the first one.)

Buen Camino,
Jim

I hope this isn't breaking the rules about religious disussion, but does anyone know of any Camino prayers other than the one from O'Cebreiro?
Hola...
Here is one I found along the way...by Robert Corin Morris

May I walk this day

in the realm of grace,

walking with You

my feet firmly on your earth-path,

my heart loving all as kindred,

my words and deeds alive with justice.

May I walk as blessing,

meeting blessing at every turn

in every challenge, blessing,

in all opposition, blessing,

in harm’s way, blessing.

May I walk each step in this moment of grace,

alert to hear You

and awake enough to say

a simple Yes.

- Robert Corin Morris

Blessings and Buen Camino,
Bozzie
(aka Dee Anne from Dallas)

A prayer for Pilgrims

Teach us, O God ,to view our life here on earth as a pilgrim’s path to heaven,

and give us grace to tread it courageously in the company of your faithful people.

Help us to set our affections on things above,
not on the passing vanities of this world,

and grant that as we journey on in the Way of holiness
we may bear a good witness to our Lord,

and serve all who need our help along the way,
for the glory of your name. Amen

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think your question is one which seek information more than it is a religious statement.

I found this on the internet:

A Pilgrim's Prayer to St. James

Lettinggo

Great to have this, thank you.

Does anyone know the blessing given by the Bishop at Le Puy Cathedral? I don't speak French but I think it was the same, or similar, to the prayers quoted by Lettinggo. But I'd love to know if different!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My parish priest gave me this simple one - it's to be repeated as a chant in time with one's footsteps, and I found it a useful meditation when I needed to clear my mind of negative thoughts:
Lord Jesus, son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner

This Gaelic blessing, so appropriate for the Camino:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon the fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Santiago Rosary Prayer

This Rosary can be used like a regular 5 decade rosary, or you can use the following prayer:

Crucifix: In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, Amen.

Large Knot: Santiago, as I journey to your city in the love of your name, please
bless my Camino.

Small Knots: (1) May Hope, (2) Faith, (3) and Charity guide my steps.

Large Knots: (1) Say an Our Father

Large Knot: Blessed be the Lord, who has called me to this challenge of
Pilgrimage.

10 Small Knots:
Thank you for being my constant companion,
My guide at the crossroads,
My breath when I'm weary,
My food when I'm hungry,
My water when I'm thirsty,
My protection in danger,
My shade in the heat,
My shelter in the rain,
My light in the darkness,
and my comfort when I'm discouraged.

Large Knot: Our Lady of Roncevalles, please grant me your motherly protection.

10 Small Knots:
Help me to be honest
Taking every opportunity to help others,
To be patient and kind,
To give generously, and put the needs of others first,
To persevere in the face of adversity,
To practice self-control in thought, word, and deed,
To keep my sense of humor in all situations,
To be humble and appreciate what is given me,
To treat others as I would have them treat me,
To quietly bear pain and hardship.

Large Knots:

(1)May St. Raphael the Archangel protect me throughout my journey and lead me safely home,

(2) and may God bless me as I walk

Small Knots : (1) Under the bright, blessed stars of the Milky Way, (2) My goal ever before me,
(3) the Cathedral at Santiago de Compostela.

Crucifix: In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost.
Amen.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Very many thanks everyone. I am organising a parish pilgrimage along the Camino for next year. I've walked 320 miles of it, but this is by coach with the opportunity for short walks as most of the group will be too old to walk further. I just want to share a little of my experience! The prayers will be used en route. Please, fellow walkers, don't be scornful of those who have to take the easy option - surely it's better for them to get even just a taste of the Camino than never to experience it at all! Walking it at 67 (and I'm walking Le Puy to Conques in May at 68) I feel very lucky still to be able to do it on foot, but there are many my age and older who can't.

Wish I have read all of these prayers before I went for the pilgrimage but nevertheless I prayed the rosary the whole time I've been walking for 5 days. Miracles just kept pouring on me....sooo amazing, overwhelming and humbling experience it was!

Truly God answers prayers and never abandons us....we just need to put our Full trust in HIM!

Buen Camino brothers and sisters!

AMDG!

Santiago by David Whyte from Pilgrim Many Rivers Press 2012
Is a lovely poem.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks everyone!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.