• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Pre-Planning - Backpack or luggage?

GeriVeee

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2023
Hello All!

58 y/o female, here from the Pacific Northwest, USA and I've wanted to do the Camino since losing my son in 2016 however, I just haven't been able to get my act together. If my Passport renewal is returned in time, I am HOPING to start in St Jean Pied de Port on June 5. I will be doing this solo in hopes of finding some inner peace, but look forward to meeting others along the way.

Because of sleep and health issues, I will be using one of the travel companies (likely Santiago Ways or Camino Ways) to book private room accommodations and luggage/backpack transfers from town. to town... at least for the first 10 nights. If I feel I can continue and finish the whole trip, I will re-evaluate extending with the travel co or finish on my own - as I have seen time and time again in this forum that it is extremely easy to plan it yourself.

QUESTION: I will be walking with a light day pack to carry snacks, and other misc supplies, but since I will be having my backpack or luggage transferred from town to town, are there any issues with using actual luggage vs backpack? I'd prefer to use a "carry on" sized roller-type luggage as they are easier to get clothes and toiletries in and out of without having to take EVERYTHING out each night, as is the usual for a backpack.

Looking forward to hearing from others and learning from this forum.

Buen Camino!

Geri

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There shouldn't be. After all, why get something optimized for carrying loads on your back if that isn't what you'll be doing? And I've certainly seen people who have had suitcases transferred instead of backpacks.

That said, much as we like to think and hope that the Camino can install in us a more non-judgmental attitude towards our fellow humans, there still seems to be a fair amount of judgement going on, especially around who is a "real pilgrim" vs. a "tourist". Whether it should be that way or not, backpacks tend to be associated with "real pilgrims" and suitcases with "tourists". So I think the issues you are most likely to encounter are in respect to that judgement. If you find yourself staying at hotels instead of albergues, you may encounter less of it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have only met one person with a roller bag. She pre-booked her whole Camino and was staying only in hotels. If that is your plan then it could work for you.

A backpack is the traditional sign of a Pilgrim. If you are rethinking your Camino after 10 days a backpack would give you more flexibility. It also keeps you from taking too much stuff. You need only minimal toiletries and clothing for a Camino. This will also keep it light for the bag transport people...

A few weeks ago @Rebekah Scott posted that a number of albergues are now refusing to accept delivery of suitcases and will only receive backpacks.
Post in thread 'Luggage Transfer on Camino Frances' https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...transfer-on-camino-frances.77859/post-1087440
Since @GeriVeee is planning to book with an agency it's doubtful that she will be staying at the types of albergues that Rebekah talks about on that thread.

Ask the agency that you book with if a small rolling suitcase will be a problem.

I will be carrying this orange Topo Day pack while I walk. My regular backpack will not work for me now due to back issues. (Hence the necessity for baggage transfer.)

I'll just have to deal with the judgers out there who will criticize me for being of the "tourist" category for needing private rooms and not carrying my gear. We all do the best we can with what we have. I won't let the judgers get to me.

I definitely plan to pack light - even with using a suitcase. Backpacked around Colombia for 10 days a few years back. Def learned you need less than you think on these kinds of adventures!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will be carrying this orange Topo Day pack while I walk. My regular backpack will not work for me now due to back issues. (Hence the necessity for baggage transfer.)

I'll just have to deal with the judgers out there who will criticize me for being of the "tourist" category for needing private rooms and not carrying my gear. We all do the best we can with what we have. I won't let the judgers get to me.

I definitely plan to pack light - even with using a suitcase. Backpacked around Colombia for 10 days a few years back. Def learned you need less than you think on these kinds of adventures!
Pack your orange bag and see if it will hold everything first before deciding if you need a second bag. I can't see what the liter capacity of it is in the photo. It looks to be a good Camino size. The Gregory backpack you are showing is a pretty big size. I have a CPAP machine and only need a 40 L bag so unless you have additional medical devices you might be able get it all in the orange bag. If you are using a service, you may have rooms with sheets and not need a sleeping bag or liner. I don't know if you are going in the summer, but your clothes will certainly weigh less if you are. In a private room you won't need a headlamp or light as you can just turn on the lights without disturbing others. In the summer it will be light early and late as well. Two bags may not be necessary which could also save you some money.

Here is what I am struggling with: I will be using a transport service and carrying a small daypack. If I also transport a backpack, that means I have to travel with two backpacks. I feel like it makes more sense to travel with a small rolling bag and my daypack. I will be using Correos so I will just ask them if they see any issues with delivering a rolling bag to any of my chosen accommodation.

Here is what I am struggling with: I will be using a transport service and carrying a small daypack. If I also transport a backpack, that means I have to travel with two backpacks. I feel like it makes more sense to travel with a small rolling bag and my daypack. I will be using Correos so I will just ask them if they see any issues with delivering a rolling bag to any of my chosen accommodation.
I have never used pack transport, but it doesn't make sense to me to bring two backpacks.

This is what Correos says

Screenshot 2023-03-07 093332.png

What I would probably do is carry a backpack that is large enough to carry everything that I need, then offload heavy items that I wouldn't need during the day into a lightweight duffel or something like this from Osprey - I have the 8 liter size for my clothing, and I believe that it would be sturdy enough to send ahead.

The 32 liter size weighs 100 gm/3.52 ounces, and the 20 liter size is 82 gm/2.88 ounces.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I met several people on Camino that had booked through a company and had their suitcases sent ahead. It should not be a problem for a small carryon suitcase as at least one of the people I met had a very large suitcase. As others have said, check with the company you are booking through for any luggage restrictions.

Buen Camino!

What I would probably do is carry a backpack that is large enough to carry everything that I need, then offload heavy items that I wouldn't need during the day into a lightweight duffel
I would do what @trecile says - pack everything into a modest sized backpack, which is a convenient way to carry things for a short distance, even if you need help for longer distances. Then remove the items you don't need for the day, and send them in a small duffel bag to your daily destination.

Especially if you are staying in private accommodation and don't need a sleeping bag, you can probably fit all your necessities into a backpack (e.g. 28-38L) that will serve equally well as a day pack. If your orange backpack is not large enough, just put the extras into the small duffel bag.

This way, you achieve maximum flexibility and avoid the concern about "suitcases" versus backpacks.

I will be carrying this orange Topo Day pack while I walk.
...And of course I clicked on the link.... and of course I read the blog post... and tears went rolling down....

I've met folks on my Camino who were "walking in Memory of" or similar... as a matter of fact the French gentleman I shared my 1st pilgrim albergue room with at Beilari - David - was (in a weird way) a mirror-reverse of DA MOVIE. His Dad was getting ready to walk the Camino, but then he died. David took all his equipment and set out to walk the Camino....
... I never saw him again. By the time I got up - he was long gone (He did mentioned the previous night that he was keen on quite an early start trying to hit Roncesvalles or even further)... I DO hope he made it...

... in any case - I believe JPM will be walking with you and that orange Topo Day Pack...and whatever it is you decide to transport will work itself out (part of Camino Magic and Camino Provides I'm sure) and it all will be fine! đź‘Ť

Not a lot of an advise but I just felt compelled to state all of the above for Encouragement!
Good Luck! Buen Camino! ULTREIA!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We have day bags similar to this. We take them to Spain for groceries, laundry, etc. Small and pack up efficiently with very little weight. We also use them as day bags or hiking or snowshoeing around home. We have used them now for about 5 or 6 years. My husband's has a small hole from carrying his computer around in his backpack when he was going to language school in Spain, but still serviceable otherwise. Might be a good day bag instead of a second backpack.

...And of course I clicked on the link.... and of course I read the blog post... and tears went rolling down....

I've met folks on my Camino who were "walking in Memory of" or similar... as a matter of fact the French gentleman I shared my 1st pilgrim albergue room with at Beilari - David - was (in a weird way) a mirror-reverse of DA MOVIE. His Dad was getting ready to walk the Camino, but then he died. David took all his equipment and set out to walk the Camino....
... I never saw him again. By the time I got up - he was long gone (He did mentioned the previous night that he was keen on quite an early start trying to hit Roncesvalles or even further)... I DO hope he made it...

... in any case - I believe JPM will be walking with you and that orange Topo Day Pack...and whatever it is you decide to transport will work itself out (part of Camino Magic and Camino Provides I'm sure) and it all will be fine! đź‘Ť

Not a lot of an advise but I just felt compelled to state all of the above for Encouragement!
Good Luck! Buen Camino! ULTREIA!
Thank you for the words of encouragement. I'm sure many many people make this pilgrimage for the healing and spiritual benefits I hope to gleen from it. This will be a huge step out of my comfort zone to do alone, but I feel it will be a very healing journey. ULTREIA! I Love that!

There shouldn't be. After all, why get something optimized for carrying loads on your back if that isn't what you'll be doing? And I've certainly seen people who have had suitcases transferred instead of backpacks.

That said, much as we like to think and hope that the Camino can install in us a more non-judgmental attitude towards our fellow humans, there still seems to be a fair amount of judgement going on, especially around who is a "real pilgrim" vs. a "tourist". Whether it should be that way or not, backpacks tend to be associated with "real pilgrims" and suitcases with "tourists". So I think the issues you are most likely to encounter are in respect to that judgement. If you find yourself staying at hotels instead of albergues, you may encounter less of it.
When I was younger I carried my backpack now I can’t at least not day in day out so I transfer my bag…..I use a suitcase…..why risk having my expensive backpack ruined, they are made to be carried not hauled around.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not the subject at hand, but chiming in on the passport front as someone who works in politics: contact your Congressperson! The district office can submit a passport inquiry that will expedite the process. And you’re in luck being from the PNW — the region has a number of members who really prioritize constituent services.

Not the subject at hand, but chiming in on the passport front as someone who works in politics: contact your Congressperson! The district office can submit a passport inquiry that will expedite the process. And you’re in luck being from the PNW — the region has a number of members who really prioritize constituent services.
Great idea - I'll reach out to my senators - they are far more responsive and I have contacts in both of their offices.

Hello All!

58 y/o female, here from the Pacific Northwest, USA and I've wanted to do the Camino since losing my son in 2016 however, I just haven't been able to get my act together. If my Passport renewal is returned in time, I am HOPING to start in St Jean Pied de Port on June 5. I will be doing this solo in hopes of finding some inner peace, but look forward to meeting others along the way.

Because of sleep and health issues, I will be using one of the travel companies (likely Santiago Ways or Camino Ways) to book private room accommodations and luggage/backpack transfers from town. to town... at least for the first 10 nights. If I feel I can continue and finish the whole trip, I will re-evaluate extending with the travel co or finish on my own - as I have seen time and time again in this forum that it is extremely easy to plan it yourself.

QUESTION: I will be walking with a light day pack to carry snacks, and other misc supplies, but since I will be having my backpack or luggage transferred from town to town, are there any issues with using actual luggage vs backpack? I'd prefer to use a "carry on" sized roller-type luggage as they are easier to get clothes and toiletries in and out of without having to take EVERYTHING out each night, as is the usual for a backpack.

Looking forward to hearing from others and learning from this forum.

Buen Camino!

Geri
This is late in getting back to you - sorry - but wanted to share my story. I walk alone and will walk my 5th camino this April. I'm walking this time in memory of my husband who recently died. He was a special man. About your pack - I usually walk with a pack, but have on one camino used a pack and suitcase which moved from place to place. This trip I'm going to use a smaller day pack for essential items and have my suitcase (which will only hold my normal backpack items) moved from hotel to hotel. I'm treating myself this trip with staying in hotels but at 76 y/o, I feel I deserve it. I hope you find the peace you seek and don't be worried about moving your suitcase - it all comes together. Buen Camino and God Bless you

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is late in getting back to you - sorry - but wanted to share my story. I walk alone and will walk my 5th camino this April. I'm walking this time in memory of my husband who recently died. He was a special man. About your pack - I usually walk with a pack, but have on one camino used a pack and suitcase which moved from place to place. This trip I'm going to use a smaller day pack for essential items and have my suitcase (which will only hold my normal backpack items) moved from hotel to hotel. I'm treating myself this trip with staying in hotels but at 76 y/o, I feel I deserve it. I hope you find the peace you seek and don't be worried about moving your suitcase - it all comes together. Buen Camino and God Bless you
Thank you for sharing your information. I am sorry for your recent loss. Grief is hard, and none of us are immune. You absolutely deserve to complete the Camino in the way you want it. ESPECIALLY since you've already done it FIVE times! WOW! So Inspiring!

I too need to do this alone - without worry of anyone else's pace, or accommodation needs. This walk is in hopes of finding some sort of mental healing for myself - not like an annual vacation with friends or family. However, I am looking forward to meeting people along the way.

Since I am only able to do a short portion of the Camino at this time, I've booked private rooms and baggage transfers to ease my mental and physical load - that way I can focus on the adventure itself without stressing over the rest. (Like many others in these times, my personal anxiety levels are already peaked - so why add to that!)

May you find the solace you seek in your trek. Peace be with you.

Buen Camino

Geri

Hello.
Do you remember which company you used to “move your luggage from hotel to hotel”- thank you. I hope you had a wonderful trip.xxx

Hello.
Do you remember which company you used to “move your luggage from hotel to hotel”- thank you. I hope you had a wonderful trip.xxx
I booked through Camino Ways - so far they have been very helpful in making arrangements. I don't arrive until the beginning of June :)

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.