Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo — Question about Borres

janines1

Time of past OR future Camino
We are walking the Primitivo this May and I was looking at Borres, it seems to have an albergue, has anyone stayed here ? and is there somewhere were you can eat, a bar maybe? many thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is a basic albergue. I didn’t stay there when I walked the Primitivo but I knew people who did. There is a bar nearby.
Burn Camino

If you look on Gronze.com you will see mixed responses to this albergue. I haven't stayed there but hope to walk the Primitivo this May or June.
I Agree to use gronze . Open www.gronze.com at primitivo section and find stage with Borres. If you click on the Albergue listed - you will see the basic brick Albergue. It shows pics of inside too - gronze is great. The Albergue has limited bunk beds but was adequate when I stayed (in 2015). The bar is a short walk from it but not ‘across the road so to speak’. ‘Then’ there were two ways to the bar /a muddy track if it’s been raining or (b) a slightly longer on the road. Food was ok and You could get breakfast there too I believe. Staying there shortened the walk that followed ‘the choice over ‘Hospitales route’ or the alternate route via polo de Allande. Quite a few people opted to stay 3klm short of Borres at village of Campiello .. if you time your walk to arrive there (in Campiello ) during or before menu Del día time stops. ,you’ll find eating is good there. I recall getting the last bed at Borrres so if it’s busy might be a better idea to stay in Campiello.

Buen camino
Annie

There are two Albergues in Borres now. The Municipal (20 beds), which I have always found to be fine, and La Montera (10 beds). I believe Montera is run by the folks that run the bar, they were also key-holders for the Muni last time I squelched through. The little Red & Black Dragons in the water-trough are Salamanders.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I arrived early at the Albergue in Borres during July 2019 and picked up the key from the local bar.
It's very basic with 19 bunks on the lower floor {upper floor was locked). Recall it had a microwave and 1 x shower - but was completo by 4pm. The bar was excellent (10 minutes away) with a wholesome menu del dia.
There is also a private Albergue in the village (see Gronze) - if you are a light-sleeper you may want to stay there.........as the next day, there will be lots of ups and downs. o_O

Edit: You beat me to it @Tinca

And I have never stayed here, but I know several forum members rave about the albergue in Samblismo, which is a couple of kms beyond Borres and right at the split for Hospitales vs. Pola De Allande.

You can reserve and food is available.
Wow, that looks good Laurie (just checked it out on your link above to gronze).
Definitely worth trying. Primitivo seems to have a lot more places now.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
And I have never stayed here, but I know several forum members rave about the albergue in Samblismo, which is a couple of kms beyond Borres and right at the split for Hospitales vs. Pola De Allande.

You can reserve and food is available.
Yup, Sanblismo is the place to go. Wonderful albergue, communal dinner and hospitalero. Borres has an overpowering smell of dung. Just saying

I'm booked at Campiello, because my walking busy has to send his suitcase ahead due to medical reasons.
He made all the necessary stops where Correos is passing already last year, because he wanted to be certain.
And yes it will be a longer Hospitales walk in distance and certainly in time 😉
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I stayed at Borres and unless you are the 19th pilgrim and NOT an Alpinista, you will be fine there. It is in a lovely setting and you'll get to know your fellow pilgrims well as there is nothing else to do there other than rest and chat. It's perfectly adequate and like some of the albergues from 20 years ago on the Frances.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.