Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo, a short photographic tour

katdavis

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013), C2C(2013), Shikoku 88 Temples(2013), Thames Path(2013), Camino Portuguese(2014), Hadrian's Wall(2014), Cinque Terre(2014), Camino Primitivo(2014), Camino Ingles(2014), PCT(2015), Camino Frances (2015)
Hi Everyone,

I walked the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela in October and it was an absolutely stunning walk with spectacular scenery. Challenging mountains, hills, lush green forests, heaps of mushrooms, quaint stone hamlets, the delicacies of Asturias and Galicia, the sound of the cow bells... I can't recommend this camino enough!!

I made a video of some of the photos I took along the way because the beauty of this trail needs to be shared
smile.png

Click here for video

If anyone has any questions or is thinking of doing this walk, please don't hesitate to ask away. I also wrote a daily blog: www.followingthearrows.com

Did I mention how much I loved this Camino?!

Buen Camino,

Kat

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Everyone,

I walked the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela in October and it was an absolutely stunning walk with spectacular scenery. Challenging mountains, hills, lush green forests, heaps of mushrooms, quaint stone hamlets, the delicacies of Asturias and Galicia, the sound of the cow bells... I can't recommend this camino enough!!

I made a video of some of the photos I took along the way because the beauty of this trail needs to be shared
smile.png

Click here for video

If anyone has any questions or is thinking of doing this walk, please don't hesitate to ask away. I also wrote a daily blog: www.followingthearrows.com

Buen Camino,

Kat

Gorgeous photos. Wonderful memories. Thank you Kat.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is wonderful -- Thanks so much for sharing. I am sitting in my office on a dreary November morning. Its sleeting threatening to snow more seriously. I didn't do my usual walk this morning because of the weather and I have cabin fever in the worst way. Your video transported me to my Camino place! Thanks, Thanks, Thanks! Liz

Hi Everyone,

smile.png

Click here for video

Buen Camino,

Kat

Kat, thank you, this has been so helpful to my own planning. Great stuff!
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Everyone,

smile.png

Click here for video

Buen Camino,

Kat
WOW, wonderful scenery. And great photos!!!
Thanks for taking your time and sharing all this!

Ultreia!

Hi Everyone,
smile.png

Click here for video
Fantastic video, Kat -- very well done! And the music was perfect.
Ultreia,
Jim

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Everyone,

smile.png

Click here for video

Buen Camino,

Kat

Hola and thank you for your post and making memories come back.
Lettinggo

Hi Kat
I noticed one of the photos in your video was that roofless stone tower with trees growing up through it which you pass on the right as you descend into Embalse de Salime. I think you labelled it a "cortin". Do you know what it was for? Defence?
Thanks
Mary

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Kat
I noticed one of the photos in your video was that roofless stone tower with trees growing up through it which you pass on the right as you descend into Embalse de Salime. I think you labelled it a "cortin". Do you know what it was for? Defence?
Thanks
Mary

Hi Silvester,

When I was walking the Primitivo, Angulero (one of the forum members), posted a message about this structure (cortín) and said they were built to protect bee hives from bears. He told me to look out for one near Grandas de Salime and that's the one I saw and is in the slideshow. The link to his message is here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/hi-from-the-camino-primitivo.29393/

I would have loved to have seen a bear ... from a distance!

Kat

I hope that wasn't a Bear Faced Lie Kat!

Lol! Check the thread Al, Angulero mentions a great story about a bear who watched a group of tourists use a ladder to climb up and look inside the cortin, then somehow copied the tourists and ended up stuck inside one! ;)

Kat

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes I had seen that Kat. Just another of my pathetic attempts at humour on a miserable autumn day in el centro de Inglaterra while I impatiently wait for next month's little tapas trip to Madrid.

Yes I had seen that Kat. Just another of my pathetic attempts at humour on a miserable autumn day in el centro de Inglaterra while I impatiently wait for next month's little tapas trip to Madrid.

I know how you feel Al, I've been back a month and am desperate to walk again, when will I be cured of this walking bug?!

Like both the Video's Kat and MyDestinationGalicia thank you for the preview of my coming camino 2015 health and body willing of course.:)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Kat
Thanks
Mary
A cortin is an enclosed safe place for bees. It keeps predators out. There is a good one visible from the museum in Grandas de Salime.

Hi Everyone,

smile.png

Click here for video

Buen Camino,

Kat
Hi Kat: Extraordinarily beautiful. I am walking the Norte in June 2015 and am considering the Primitivo when I get there. You just may have helped make up my mind with the photo presentation. I am also a beekeeping hobbyist, so I loved the photo you took. I noticed several apiaries when I walked the France in 2012. Well done. John

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey Kat, what a beautiful video (music). My planning is to do Oviedo-Compostela by folding bike " The Airnimal Joey " (april-mei 2015).
Well done.

Tikky

Attachments

• DSCF0857.JPG
    DSCF0857.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
Hi Everyone,

I walked the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela in October and it was an absolutely stunning walk with spectacular scenery. Challenging mountains, hills, lush green forests, heaps of mushrooms, quaint stone hamlets, the delicacies of Asturias and Galicia, the sound of the cow bells...

Kat

Beautiful montage Kat. I understand the Hospitales Route is quite a challenge, but looking at your pictures I was thinking a night "al fresco" would be well worth it. Question, when you say "challenging" - how "challenging"? I am wondering if I am not just nust to be considering this. On a scale of 1-10, and giving a grade to the hike from SJPJ to Roncesvalles, or the climb of El Brusco on Del Norte, what would the Primitivo get, and how many days like that would one face? I have found a way to do some very short days, perhaps too short, but at least I would not have many over 20Km.

Thank you for those lovely images set to beautiful music.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Beautiful montage Kat. I understand the Hospitales Route is quite a challenge, but looking at your pictures I was thinking a night "al fresco" would be well worth it. Question, when you say "challenging" - how "challenging"? I am wondering if I am not just nust to be considering this. On a scale of 1-10, and giving a grade to the hike from SJPJ to Roncesvalles, or the climb of El Brusco on Del Norte, what would the Primitivo get, and how many days like that would one face? I have found a way to do some very short days, perhaps too short, but at least I would not have many over 20Km.

Thank you for those lovely images set to beautiful music.

Hi Anemone del Camino,

When I walked the Camino Frances, the "high route" was closed due to the amount of snow, so I had to take the low route (which was beautiful), but alas, I can't compare because I haven't experienced that route... I'm also yet to walk the Norte, so I'm no use there either, sorry!

However, I do have the elevation profiles on my blog here which will help. I guess I would compare the Hospitales Route to the day walking up to O'Cebreiro on the Camino Frances, but the Primitivo felt like 3 or 4 of these O'Cebreiro days. The climbs (up and down), calm down a bit after Lugo.

It was a challenge and you need to like walking UP, but it's not impossible :) The only piece of advice I would give is to not attempt the Hospitales Route in bad weather.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, hopefully the profiles on my blog can give you more detailed info.

Buen Camino!

Kat

... the Hospitales Route to the day walking up to O'Cebreiro on the Camino Frances, but the Primitivo felt like 3 or 4 of these O'Cebreiro days. The climbs (up and down), calm down a bit after Lugo.
Kat[/QUOTE

Kat, your comparison with O'Cebreiro is just perfect, thank you. Clearly another route where I will be praying the walking pole designers were out of MIT and not the local technical college ;0) . @liz Brant - how many points a day do you think I can eat in Chorizo on those points ;0)

Wonderful - thank you for sharing!

buen camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Darn it, Kat!

I am walking the Camino Frances starting in mid-September and now you've made me want to walk the Primitivo too.

Oh, well . . . there I go again.

For those of you who have not had a chance to see it, Kat also did a splendid video of her walk along the Camino Frances.

Enjoy,

Silvio

Hi Everyone,

smile.png

Click here for video

Buen Camino,

Kat
...absolutely beautiful...pics & music. Thank you for providing name of the composer for the music also.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back