Alert Camino Primitivo closed by forest/grassland fire in the Tineo district

Topics realted to Hazards on the camino de Santiago
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Any news on for how long? is the fire out?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It seems that the fires in Asturias were still causing problems for some travellers yesterday. A flight from Bilbao to Santiago was diverted to Oviedo because of high winds. And then the bus being used to carry the passengers to Santiago was stopped overnight at a gasolinera by fires near the road. Not the best of journeys!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The most recent news I have seen seems to suggest that some firefighting is still going on in the area. No specific news about the camino closure.
I am on my way to Oviedo tomorrow (April 1, 2023) and am hoping to walk the first stage to Grado. I called the tourist office and she said that part was open. I don't know about other stages along the Primitivo. But I think they're just watching the situation daily. It's absolutely horrible.

I think it's sadly unlikely to be a good year in this respect.

Personally, I dodged the fires in 2022 that affected the Caminos of not a few pilgrims, but that was mostly from going by unorthodox DIY routes -- nevertheless the drought affecting large portions of the Iberian peninsula and parts of France, mainly Pyrenees and Languedoc-Roussillon, has been ongoing for about eighteen months or so, if not more.

The first 2023 fires affecting any Camino route were in very early January, coastal French Catalan Way, though that is a very abstract observation given that only about a dozen pilgrims go that way in any given year, and virtually always by a further inland route.

Nevertheless, that early January fire from drought and heat is IMO quite indicative, as combined to my mind that the snow in both the Alps and the Pyrenees this year was both late and short-lived.

---

2023 is going to be another scorcher.

The only more or less normal conditions I came across last year were in some of the Easterly Portuguese river valleys. And even there, the locals were complaining of low crop yields.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It looks terrible :-(

I'm arriving in Oviedo in 1,5 weeks time, it might be good to think of a back-up plan :(

I just saw the news and it looks like this is getting better. Still a lot fires, but almost all of them are under control... weather has changed and much more humidity (this is good). Wind has changed (this is good) and they are supposed to get rain later today/tomorrow. Crossing my fingers that this is over in the next 4-5 days.

I just heard from my friend in Oviedo that Emergency Services reported that just the Naranco fire alone had 12 different starting points. Evidence like this must be why all the national news outlets are confidently reporting that the only explanation is arson.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ivar, am I reading correctly that the authorities believe that all of these fires were intentionally set? And that they carefully calculated the time to start based on winds and other meteorological features? Unbelievable lunacy.
I just heard from my friend in Oviedo that Emergency Services reported that just the Naranco fire alone had 12 different starting points. Evidence like this must be why all the national news outlets are confidently reporting that the only explanation is arson.
Whaaaat?!?
Because?
That's sick.

This one also is terrifying.
Not to mention just plain evil.
I so hope the churches have not been damaged.

Not to mention just plain evil.
I so hope the churches have not been damaged.
Recent news is that most of the fires are now under control. The local authorities are very sure that this has been the result of very deliberate arson.

"On Friday, the President of the Principality, the members of his Government and the mayors of the affected councils insisted on the idea that the fires had been provoked. "We do not know what the background is, but obviously it is a wave of arson that is unprecedented," said Alejandro Calvo, Minister of Rural Affairs and Territorial Cohesion of the Asturian Government. “There is real terrorism because there is no other way to explain why [Mount] Naranco, so close to Oviedo, has burned down,” Barbón said."

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It looks terrible :-(

I'm arriving in Oviedo in 1,5 weeks time, it might be good to think of a back-up plan :(
Me too. But I am sure this will be under control by then.

Me too. But I am sure this will be under control by then.
The rain will help. But still terrible. Also terrible for the now displaced wildlife. I wonder if this will put some bears under distress.

And egoistic as I am, I am really curious which stretches of the Primitivo will be heavily affected by the damage.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The rain will help. But still terrible. Also terrible for the now displaced wildlife. I wonder if this will put some bears under distress.

And egoistic as I am, I am really curious which stretches of the Primitivo will be heavily affected by the damage.
I will be able to answer your last question by the end of April. I have not heard about casualties so far, but the animal life is probably effected by this many places. More than 100 fires are reported in Asturias alone.

I will be able to answer your last question by the end of April. I have not heard about casualties so far, but the animal life is probably effected by this many places. More than 100 fires are reported in Asturias alone.
Yes, it is very sad ... and it gets me into a rage when I hear it was probably arson.

Will be great when you tell us on here what you experience on site :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Literally bawling.
And that photo of a town in the middle of your stream... I did not see a location named but it looks much like Tineo to me from the vantage point after one walks up and out of town. Fonsagrada is also coming to mind, but I did not think the fires went that far along... Regardless, my heart is just breaking... and I am wrung out by the thought that it was deliberately lit!

Last edited:
This is appalling and will definitely spoil the visual aspect of what was the highlight of the Primitivo for me. Three weeks ago there was considerable snow above 1000 meters and driving rain most days on our Primitivo (Oviedo – SDC – Muxia). Amazing to think that it has gone from one extreme to the other in a matter of a few weeks - therefore this is quite likely to be deliberate. However once snow melts things can dry out very quickly and with no leaves or green vegetation any fires will spread quickly. Many fires are caused by carelessly dropped cigarettes but in this case there seem to be so many different sources of the fire this doesn't seem possible.

Is the route of hospitales still close? Do you guys now if soon re open? I'm planing to get there on the 25th of April. I was so looking forward to this tram 😔

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is the route of hospitales still close? Do you guys now if soon re open? I'm planing to get there on the 25th of April. I was so looking forward to this tram 😔
I do not know what the current state is, but I see no reason why it should not be "open" in 3 weeks from now. The fires are most likely cold already now as this section was only covered with lower vegetation, not trees. Also I see no safety risk why it should remain closed. Not much left to burn I guess and no tree trunks that could fall over. The path might not be marked well any longer, but that should not be a major concern in the days of GPS.

But still it is very sad ...I will be there in May and was really looking forward to this scenic section particularly 😢

Heart-breaking :-(

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’m doing the primitivo now, spoke to an hospitaleiro in Oviedo who told me that everything is now open, the guardia civil closed one path for about 4 hours as he told me.. but arriving by bus in Oviedo I could smell the smoke still(this was yesterday)

Devastating. Can't believe how someone could do this 😔. Good luck peregrino!

Is open the same thing as hikable?
I lived in Southern California for many years where there are constant fires. We tended to avoid trails after fires because the loss of vegetation tends to leave a trail exposed. Rain after a fire can also be problematic and cause considerable trail damage.

Im still not clear what sources we would use to determine the status of the primitivo.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I lived in Southern California for many years where there are constant fires. We tended to avoid trails after fires because the loss of vegetation tends to leave a trail exposed. Rain after a fire can also be problematic and cause considerable trail damage.

Im still not clear what sources we would use to determine the status of the primitivo.
I mean I’m just telling what the Oviedo hospitaleiro told me. Even today I spoke with the one from the grado albergue and he didn’t say otherwise. Will find out soon enough I guess.

I mean I’m just telling what the Oviedo hospitaleiro told me. Even today I spoke with the one from the grado albergue and he didn’t say otherwise. Will find out soon enough I guess.

Because the area runs across the top of the mountains in what is, essentially, open pasture land, it was already wildly exposed (which is part of why I guess it can frequently inadvisable due to inclement weather to go via the Hospitales route).

Truly, I'm more concerned about the people and the animals and the general conditions they will have to contend with than with whether the trail will be open, whether it will be attractive, or whatever else...

As long as it has not turned to nearly impassable mud as sections near Albergaria de Venhola had done in 2019 after the 2018 fires, I will stick to my plan of walking this route in May and spending more than I had figured on originally because the locals are going to need every euro.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have seen photos on a Facebook page dedicated to the Primitivo. There are areas on the Hospitales that are black from the fires, but there are also many areas that maintain their beauty. But, it's all passable on foot. I plan to be walking the Hospitales four weeks from today!

I have seen photos on a Facebook page dedicated to the Primitivo. There are areas on the Hospitales that are black from the fires, but there are also many areas that maintain their beauty. But, it's all passable on foot. I plan to be walking the Hospitales four weeks from today!
I’ll be a day ahead of you if that pesky Pajares dog doesn’t get me 😉

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I’ll be a day ahead of you if that pesky Pajares dog doesn’t get me 😉

And I might be a day ahead of you 😉

Looks almost as if we are queuing on the Primitivo 😉

I guess I should be on the Hospitales around May 13. Starting in Oviedo May 11 ... running up those hills if my body does not sabotage my plans.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.