Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guidebook or App for Walking the Camino Primitivo?

lynskieinFenwick

Time of past OR future Camino
Apr/May 2023
Happy New Year!
Should I buy a guide book for the Primitivo? And if so, which one do you recommend? Or should I use an app. I'm interested in finding something to help me plan my distances and stops and to find private accommodations. My American friends would like to walk about 12 miles per day (20kms).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have the Buen Camino app to experiment with planning stages and seeing what museums/ sights can be found, and have booked through it at Oviedo, Lugo, and Santiago as a precaution. I also have Wise Pilgrim for its detailed description of how to follow the route and its maps.

I tried to use Godesalco (I think), but could never download the results.

Of course, I haven't gone yet, so the proof is not yet on the pudding. But I enjoy planning.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Books v. App depends on your preference, both are adequate for the Primitivo. It is a route whose stages are a bit less flexible than other more popular routes but in recent years a few albergues have popped up in places that allow for a bit of change. Caminoapp.com may help you to plan your stages better, but try to stay flexible in your plans… the Primitivo can be challenging in ways you might not expect.

In late 2019, I walked the Primitivo for the second time. I ordered the Wise Pilgrim guidebook a few months in advance of my walk - and it had everything I needed. I also had the app but found I only used the book.

It was perfect for considering my daily stages and accommodation options.

I like guidebooks - as long as they’re not too heavy. It’s a slim volume, so was easy to keep handy in my pack.

Thanks @wisepilgrim 🙏

Last edited:
I use the very compact Village to Village guide book as well as the Wise Pilgrim app - the combnination seems best for me. That way I still have a paper copy but can also use the online map and check out accomodations.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used Buen Camino when I walked it in May - found it really good particularly when I did the odd deviation.

I use the very compact Village to Village guide book as well as the Wise Pilgrim app - the combnination seems best for me. That way I still have a paper copy but can also use the online map and check out accomodations.
I see this on the Kindle store but it seems the most recent edition is from 2019, pre-Covid. I wonder if a new edition will be coming out before I walk in June.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm with CanadianBarb on this response. In 2018 I used the Village to Village guide on the Primitivo. It is the lightest guide book I have ever encountered. I also used the Wise Pilgrim app. Even lighter. To be happy on the Primitivo, travel lightly. Buen Camino

Books v. App depends on your preference, both are adequate for the Primitivo. It is a route whose stages are a bit less flexible than other more popular routes but in recent years a few albergues have popped up in places that allow for a bit of change. Caminoapp.com may help you to plan your stages better, but try to stay flexible in your plans… the Primitivo can be challenging in ways you might not expect.
I used to be a guidebook-only kind of pilgrim, but last year I walked the Portuguese Coastal camino and exclusively used apps such as @wisepilgrim. LOVE the map feature, where you can see at a glance exactly where you are and if you're off the camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks! Comments like these keep me going. 😀
It saved me several times when I got off route on del Norte las fall when I sarted feeling like I was off route, was then able to retrace and get back on! It reminded me how lucky we are and feel such gratitude Wise Pilgrim and I also reflected on hundreds of years of pilgrims that went without any maps and all the gadgets we now rely on to find our way....

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back