Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo in early July: couple of logistical questions

KayVee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Hi all,

I'll be starting the Primitivo from Oviedo on June 30th. I arrive in Oviedo on the 29th quite late at night. Hence was hoping to start walking around noon from Oviedo on the 30th. Where can I get a credencial in Oviedo that would be open in the mornings?

Also I tend to drink a ton of water while walking. How much should I carry on the Primitivo? Are there frequent fuentes where I can fill up? Is one liter enough or should I plan for more?

Thanks so much in advance for all your help

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi all,

I'll be starting the Primitivo from Oviedo on June 30th. I arrive in Oviedo on the 29th quite late at night. Hence was hoping to start walking around noon from Oviedo on the 30th. Where can I get a credencial in Oviedo that would be open in the mornings?

Also I tend to drink a ton of water while walking. How much should I carry on the Primitivo? Are there frequent fuentes where I can fill up? Is one liter enough or should I plan for more?

According to Gronze the Albergue El Salvador sells Credencials. https://www.gronze.com/etapa/oviedo/grado

Water? I try to drink a litre before I get going and carry one. The only stage where more might be advisable is Hospitales. Depending on your own consumption and the prevailing weather

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
According to Gronze the Albergue El Salvador sells Credencials. https://www.gronze.com/etapa/oviedo/grado

Water? I try to drink a litre before I get going and carry one. The only stage where more might be advisable is Hospitales. Depending on your own consumption and the prevailing weather
I would suggest trying the Cathedral. I was able to purchase a credential at the ticket booth at the entrance. The albergue also has credentials, but won't be open until the afternoon.

Hi all,

I did the Primitivo last June and the only place we found a credential was the tourist office. It’s well marked and is close to the central church (I confused it with the cathedral).

There was plenty of water through cafes, bars and fountains along the way that I never carrried more than a liter.

I’m curious where you plan to stay the first night? Leaving at noon will get you later into Grado. I stayed in Palatin at Villa Palatino. It was a stand alone—but complete—private Albergue that was awesome. Dinner was incredible and they sold snacks out at bar if you just stop for a drink.

It’s a pretty steady climb into Grado and more of a bustling little city, so I’m glad I stayed in Palatin. I don’t recall there being a lot of options in between. Oh, and make sure you follow the signs carefully in the little village before Grado or you’ll end up on a curvy road with no shoulder!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello, just walked the Primitivo, arrived Santiago last Friday.

The desk just inside the Oviedo cathedral when using the right hand door has credenciales for 2 euro.

Individual water use is dependent upon each person's preference, but outside of the Hospitales route, it is readily available. If you're doing the Verde over to the Norte, you'll definitely need enough for the entire segment. No support at all.

Buen Camino

I did the Primitivo last June and the only place we found a credential was the tourist office. It’s well marked and is close to the central church (I confused it with the cathedral).

There was plenty of water through cafes, bars and fountains along the way that I never carrried more than a liter.

I’m curious where you plan to stay the first night? Leaving at noon will get you later into Grado. I stayed in Palatin at Villa Palatino. It was a stand alone—but complete—private Albergue that was awesome. Dinner was incredible and they sold snacks out at bar if you just stop for a drink.

It’s a pretty steady climb into Grado and more of a bustling little city, so I’m glad I stayed in Palatin. I don’t recall there being a lot of options in between. Oh, and make sure you follow the signs carefully in the little village before Grado or you’ll end up on a curvy road with no shoulder!
Thanks so much @wanderlustesq - given i waddle rather than walk, I was thinking of stopping at Escamplero for the first night. Cornellana the second night. essentially breaking up the traditional 2 day stage into 3. Good idea? bad?

Thanks so much @wanderlustesq - given i waddle rather than walk, I was thinking of stopping at Escamplero for the first night. Cornellana the second night. essentially breaking up the traditional 2 day stage into 3. Good idea? bad?
Yes. It’s a tough hike into and out of Grado, so doing it early in day was better for me. I stayed in Paladin then La Rodriga at La Roca

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I stopped in Escamplero and Cornellana on my first Primitivo and was glad that I did (and especially since you are leaving Oviedo later in the day). Escamplero has a fairly basic but adequate albergue; Cornellana was quite nice (setting and amenities in the albergue).

We will be walking just a few days ahead of you! Our packing question is - do we include pants and a rain jacket? I walked Frances last year at the same time and did not need those, but think Primitivo will be chillier and wetter- just wanting a bit more confirmation from other Camino Primitivo walkers before adding the extra clothes into the bag. Also is it hard to get albergues on primitivo? I was booking ahead, but not sure what will be available-

We will be walking just a few days ahead of you! Our packing question is - do we include pants and a rain jacket? I walked Frances last year at the same time and did not need those, but think Primitivo will be chillier and wetter- just wanting a bit more confirmation from other Camino Primitivo walkers before adding the extra clothes into the bag. Also is it hard to get albergues on primitivo? I was booking ahead, but not sure what will be available-
I was planning to take my poncho..easier to get on/ off than rain jacket/pants in my experience. I wasn’t planning on booking ahead. but i’d love to hear others’ experiences

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In the early summer I found the Primitivo to be incredibly hot and humid even when it was only in the mid 70’s. I had a rain poncho/jacket that was ultra light and had zippers under the armpits. I still could not stand the heat it trapped inside. I was more wet wearing the thing than just getting rained on. I would never have used rain pants.

Last June I booked ahead but probably didn’t need to because my friends didn’t and had no problems getting beds in municipal albergues.

Hi all,

I found this website listing the places offering a credential in Oviedo and each with a link to the hours:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I got back from the Primitivo last week. Fantastic route, probably a little tougher than other caminos the first few days, but amazing vistas and great company. Not too crowded and the weather was fabulous. Thanks all for your support and help.

I got back from the Primitivo last week. Fantastic route, probably a little tougher than other caminos the first few days, but amazing vistas and great company. Not too crowded and the weather was fabulous. Thanks all for your support and help.
I just got back too! I think we may have been about 5 days apart- I am glad you too had a great experience:) I agree a beautiful experience on Camino Primitivo!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back