Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo in January

Francisco Diaz

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Sanabres/Português de interior
Future: Primitivo
Hello,

I am doing the Camino in January and I have two options: Frances from Leon or Primitivo from Oviedo. Considering some albergues / hostels are closed in the Primitivo during this period, would these conditions make this option not as sensible as the Frances, or it would be relatively easy to structure the stages in such a way there is no risks involved (of not getting accommodation for example) ?
Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Having walked the Francés on various occasions during the winter and the Primitivo from Oviedo in April (and from Lugo in late December), I would definitely suggest walking the Francés. This due to the better infrastructure/accommodation options on the Francés.

Weather wise I would also go with the Francés. I would hate the numerous ascents and descents on the Primitivo with ice and snow! I had snow leaving O Cebreiro but that was no problem whatsoever. Way before we reached Tricastela the snow had disappeared.

When I walked from Lugo year end (the municipal albergue was almost full!) I did meet a few pilgrims who started in Oviedo but last year was very mild and they, surprisingly enough, encountered no snow. I wouldn't expect that though.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.