Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo in March/April 2016

Ekelund

Time of past OR future Camino
“It’s your road, and yours alone. Others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you.” Rumi
I'm thinking of walking the Camino Primitivo starting in Oviedo in March 2016.
I wondering if there will be snow on the trail? In the mountains? Living in Denmark, I don't mind walking in snow but I have no experience finding my way on a trail covered in snow. It could be hard to see the yellow arrows.

Any of the members of the Forum who can help with advice? It is hard to predict the weather so I want to be prepared for anything.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Greetings Ekelund! I can't really help with your question [how's that for a silly start?] however, I can give you some information about Oviedo in March:
Average High Temp = 15 deg
Average Low temp = 6 degs.
Average sun: 5 hours a day.
Average snow days: zero.
Average rainy days: 13.
I fully realise that doesn't help with the mountain passes, but it may just give you an overall impression.
It's my plan to walk the Primitivo in May.
Buen camino, amigo!

Depending on the severity of the winter there could be snow at the higher altitudes. However if you have the CSJ guide to the Primitivo (Los Caminos del Norte: F Camino Primitivo) it gives alternatives for when the weather is bad. This actually means walking the road in places and not going over Hospitales. Over Puerto de Palo there are snow poles along the road - also useful in fog. The online guides do not have so much information but are useful to add in to the paper guide, particularly Gronze - Camino Primitivo
If the winter is mild then you may have clear weather all the way.....
Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm thinking of walking the Camino Primitivo starting in Oviedo in March 2016.
I wondering if there will be snow on the trail? In the mountains? Living in Denmark, I don't mind walking in snow but I have no experience finding my way on a trail covered in snow. It could be hard to see the yellow arrows.

Any of the members of the Forum who can help with advice? It is hard to predict the weather so I want to be prepared for anything.

Ekelund:

I walked the Salvador/Primitivo in early April 2013. There was plenty of snow on the Salvador but none on the Primitivo. That said, every year is different. The week before I walked through Tineo someone posted a picture of the village covered in snow. The day I walked through it was 20c or 70F. Snow could present a marker issue on the Primitivo. There were other Pilgrims so following the trail might not be too difficult. I was never alone in the Albergue.

There was rain and plenty of mud to slog through on some of the trails but it was a beautiful rural walk with snow covered mountains to the South.

Ultreya,
Joe

I too am looking at walking the Camino Primitivo/Finisterre in March/April 2016. Initally, I wanted to do the Camino Frances but with only 4 to 5 weeks, although I'm sure I would be able, I want to "smell the flowers" along the way. My question is, what is the significance of starting in Villavicosa? I've done some hunting around and can't find anything.
Thanks All
Buen Camino!!
Gerry

Gerry, I'm not aware of any significance to Villavicosa other than that it is a small settlement on the the Camino del Norte shortly prior to the link route to Oviedo leaving the Norte at Casquita. The Primitivo starts in Oviedo.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
.............. My question is, what is the significance of starting in Villavicosa? I've done some hunting around and can't find anything.
Thanks All
Buen Camino!!
Gerry
I think this is because the CSJ guide 'starts' in Villaviciosa as the link place with the Norte, leading to Oviedo. Most folk starting without coming from the Norte would start in Oviedo, especially if flying into Asturias airport.

Thanks...... This helps..... I had run into one conversation where folks had got to Oveido, went to Villavicosa and then turned around and back to Oveido......... Or I could've dreamt it!!??
Anyway........Thanks again
Buen Camino!!
Gerry

The one thing I would add is that the walk from Vilaviciosa to Oviedo takes you past the Iglesia de San Salvador de Valdedios. This is a 9th century site that is supposed to be beautiful and is very historic. We started in Oviedo, but I thought long and hard about Villaviciosa just so that we could walk to Valdedio and stay there. Liz

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one thing I would add is that the walk from Vilaviciosa to Oviedo takes you past the Iglesia de San Salvador de Valdedios. This is a 9th century site that is supposed to be beautiful and is very historic. We started in Oviedo, but I thought long and hard about Villaviciosa just so that we could walk to Valdedio and stay there. Liz
Thanks Liz... Definitely something to consider.

Till now I thought that I will be alone in Primitivo on the end of March or on the beginning of April.. :)

I too am looking at walking the Camino Primitivo/Finisterre in March/April 2016. Initally, I wanted to do the Camino Frances but with only 4 to 5 weeks, although I'm sure I would be able, I want to "smell the flowers" along the way. My question is, what is the significance of starting in Villavicosa? I've done some hunting around and can't find anything.
Thanks All
Buen Camino!!
Gerry

Gerry:

You might want to look at the Gronze.com guide. It has a very good outline for the Primitivo and lists all accommodations along the route.

Just as a comment 5 weeks should allow you to walk the Frances and smell the roses.

Ultreya,
Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Till now I thought that I will be alone in Primitivo on the end of March or on the beginning of April.. :)
Well .... I'm hoping to walk the Primitivo in early May, and I hope it'll be fairly quiet .... but not totally deserted!
If you want a remote camio, try the Ruta del Ebro. I met one other pilgrim walking my way in three weeks, stayed in four albergues and was totally alone in three of them. That's a bit too remote!!!
P1020817.JPG
No other peregrinos - but how beautiful is that?!? Ruta del Ebro, early May.
[Links to diaries and all photos on my web site.]

Good luck in April, Normaliser!
...and buen camino ....

Thanks All
Buen Camino!!
Gerry
Hi, Gerry, depending on what you think your daily kms will be, one thing to consider is to start somewhere along the norte that is easy to get to, and then dip down to Oviedo and continue on the Primitivo, which for most people is a 11-14 day walk. Adding 5 for Finisterre still leaves you a lot of time. Comillas, San Vicente de la Barquera, Llanes, even Ribadesella, are very nice towns before the turnoff for Oviedo on the Norte.

Of course, if you arrive in Santiago with lots of time remaining on your hands, and are still itching to walk, there are plenty of nice 5 or 6 day segments you could walk (Ourense to Santiago on the Sanabres/Vdlp, the Camino Ingles from Ferrol, Tui to Santiago on the Portugues).

I share your pain here -- it's so unfair that those European pilgrims can just hop on a plane, start walking, and reserve a return trip when they are getting close to Santiago. Buen camino, Lajurie

Well .... I'm hoping to walk the Primitivo in early May, and I hope it'll be fairly quiet .... but not totally deserted!
If you want a remote camio, try the Ruta del Ebro. I met one other pilgrim walking my way in three weeks, stayed in four albergues and was totally alone in three of them. That's a bit too remote!!!

Stepen, I worried that I would be alone in March or April, because these terms are not very popular. In general I do not find for an isolation on Camino.

Ruta del Ebro in early May looks more than fantastic!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.