Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo in May

JuneM

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Aragones, Ruta de Salvador, Camino Primitivo, Camino Finisterre (2017)
I am interested in any feedback--positive or negative--regarding walking the Primitivo in May.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome @JuneM
I walked from Oviedo starting on 29th April 2016. The weather was great. Cold in the evenings, but sunny and warm by day. Certainly no snow. A little rain, but nothing troublesome. I took the Hospitales route and it was a great experience. I didn't find any difficulty with accommodation - always in albergues - although quite often they were full by late evening. But I don't think people at that time had the same trouble with accommodation as you may read about in threads here about the Primitvo later in the summer.
I took the detour from Lugo to Friol and then Sobrado do Monxes (over 2 days) and continued in on the Norte to Santiago.
If I were free and didn't have other routes to explore I would happily go back again this year and at the same time!
If you have any more specific questions please feel free to ask.
I have nothing negative to say about the route. I thought in particular that the waymarking was just right! I have said before that I think there is far too much(!) on the Frances and too little on the Norte. I don't remember ever getting lost, and whenever I was in doubt, there was an arrow to guide me.

Walked it in May of 2015. Somewhere here is a thread I started and wrote on almost daily in the evenings. I tried searching for it, thinking that there was a way to look up "threads started by" but alas...

Weather was perfect: not too hot, not too cold, rain on the first day only, no mud. But then there was May of 2013 on the Frances and all it did was rain and be cold, so my experience regarding the weather is just that: mine.

Highly recommend it, and agree with Timr's comments.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Walked it in May of 2015. Somewhere here is a thread I started and wrote on almost daily in the evenings. I tried searching for it, thinking that there was a way to look up "threads started by" but alas...

Weather was perfect: not too hot, not too cold, rain on the first day only, no mud. But then there was May of 2013 on the Frances and all it did was rain and be cold, so my experience regarding the weather is just that: mine.

Highly recommend it, and agree with Timr's comments.

I believe it is this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/primtivo-breathtaking.33950/
There is a way to find threads started by a person.

That's the one! Thank you.
I went to your profile and at the bottom there was a link for posts started by you. It comes in handy when I forget to bookmark a post and all I remember is who started it :)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I went to your profile and at the bottom there was a link for posted started by you. It comes in handy when I forget to bookmark a post and all I remember is who started it :)
Wonderful. Will try it now so I don't forget how it works.

Happy 2017: may it bring you many km.

May is a lovely time to walk the Primitivo. Very cool/cold still at night but a good daytime walking temperature. Dressing in layers and a good set of breathable waterproofs are IMO essential. The wild flowers are just starting to show and with snow on the distant higher mountains the views are breath-taking. The albergues etc are also all open and there should not be too many pilgrims at that time, apart from the week-end of May 1st. Starting May 2nd could be a good idea. :)

We walked the Norte/Primitivo starting this year at end of April arriving Santiago on 28 May.

It was our first Camino and we liked the Primitivo stretch very much. Asturias is lovely and empty and we enjoyed the countryside. Pilgrims along this route are more obvious than the Norte. The alburges were pretty full as the route is gaining popularity and we were grateful to have bookings in O Cadavo, Berducedo and other towns where two days of pilgrims could arrive in one.

https://caminonorte2016.wordpress.com/author/isenegger/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.