Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino primitivo in middle september?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hola oferofer. I'm doing this too, but starting in León mid-sep on the Salvator - I've posted on this forum too, but have not had one reply. Keep me informed please, I'd like to know as I will be on the Primitivo sep -october. I know that at least one alberque closes at the end of sep. Best wishes, Keith

hi
maybe i will start also in Leon..on the Salvador...
but is it possible to hike mountains in september weather...? and maybe closed albergue..?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hi
maybe i will start also in Leon..on the Salvador...
but is it possible to hike mountains in september weather...? and maybe closed albergue..?

I hope it is good weather, or reasonable - a rain storm can always be expected. I have booked my flights, so I will be in Leon on the 18th and start from there. I am still trying to check-out the alberques. Most seem open.

I hope it is good weather, or reasonable - a rain storm can always be expected. I have booked my flights, so I will be in Leon on the 18th and start from there. I am still trying to check-out the alberques. Most seem open.
Haven't started yet planning. .just read on Salvador today for first time. ..any sleeping places recommendation on Salvador and primitivo?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hi
is it possible and nice to walk camino primitivo in middle to end september?

Of course it’s a great time to walk. The blackberries are ripe for the picking buy a yogurt and you have healthy food all the way. I love walking in September. Buen Camino!

Of course it’s a great time to walk. The blackberries are ripe for the picking buy a yogurt and you have healthy food all the way. I love walking in September. Buen Camino!
Hi Trude, thanks for the encouraging words. The Primitivo is challenging, it passes through the mountainous areas of Asturias - do you have experience of the Primitivo and recommend that late September/early October will be a great time to walk? The advice of our fellow pilgrims, their recommendations and advice, may determine what we pack in our rucksacks, what we come to expect from climate and conditions. Thanks again. Keith

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Keith, Spain is glorious in September. I have only walked part of the Primitivo when I volunteered as a hospitalario, the part I walked from Oviedo was beautiful. I have walked the Norte from Irun, Via De la Plata, from Seville, Portuguese from Lisbon and French 4 times twice from SJPD and twice from Pamplona. I usually walk in March and endure cold and snow as I hate crowds.
I walked the French in September .....the best it was amazing weather. Good luck

Hi Keith, I walked solo the Salvador/Primitivo two years ago,late September/October and the weather was perfect. It only rained in Berducedo after a lovely walk over Hospitales and from Melide onwards.
I took a fleece,rainjacket and sleeping bag as I get cold after a day's walk. Challenging for me with the ups and downs but made it and thinking about a repeat.
Have a wonderful Camino.
Heather

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We should be walking the Primitivo now, but being Spanish based we can go when we want. Due to the bad underfoot (and overhead!) conditions at the moment, we are delaying until late September/early October.

We won't have the spring flowers but we should have the autumn fruits to enjoy.

Good luck for your Camino.

I totally agree with everyone's comments - - I think the scenery from Buiza to Pajares is more spectacular in summer, but fall is probably more likely to be dry (at least early fall). And the blackberries, oh the blackberries..... I remember starting out from León one year with two others in late September. We walked to Pola de Gordón that day, but our arrival was much later than it would have been if the blackberries had not been so abundant.

And as an added bonus, you may get snow at higher elevations. The walk out of Tineo is spectacular in most conditions, but with snow on the mountains behind it is just gorgeous.

My family and I are starting the Salvador and Primitivo on 10 October and noone has warned us not to so I assume it should be fine! I guess that means you'll have no worries in September.

Thanks Trude, sounds great, will do.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi! I will start from Oviedo to Santiago in the middle of september. Let's be in touch and change some info. Anyone else at this period?
Hi! I will start from Oviedo to Santiago in the middle of september. Let's be in touch and change some info. Anyone else at this period?
I'm leaving Leon mid sep. will be in Oviedo 23rd then on the Primitivo.

I am also considering doing around sep-oct camino salvador and continue to camino primitivo ..how is camino salvador? Is it difficult?same views as primitivo?

Last edited:
I am also considering doing around 9 sep camino salvador and continue to camino primitivo ..how is camino salvador? Is it difficult?same views as primitivo?
I've no experience of the Salvador or Primitivo, but from everything I have read the Salvador becomes more scenic after about half way, Oviedo is awesome and the Primitivo is a challenge, rugid and, they say, the most beautiful of all. I aqm trainning hard for the Primitivo in particular, and the Salvador should be a good run-up to fitness for the Primitivo. Buen Camino

any data on savador camino that i can read and decide if to do it toghether with primitivo or only primitivo...?
do you know on any festival/event in september on the camino primitivo?

I am also considering Salvador from Leon and then primitivo from Oviedo . In late September 2018 . I will see how I feel when I get there . I will keep it open but I hear good things about these Camino routes in terms of beautiful natural surroundings .. but I hear that the high mountains can be challenging too & infrastructure as well . I have a month in Spain .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I'm also planning to start from Oviedo on 15th September :)

I'm also planning to start from Oviedo on 15th September :)
Great Joseph, i am thinking about start also by the 15th...i will walk by myself, and will be my first time. Will be nice to see you there...as a veteran, do you have any tips about the way, did you check the weather? Thank's

Great Joseph, i am thinking about start also by the 15th...i will walk by myself, and will be my first time. Will be nice to see you there...as a veteran, do you have any tips about the way, did you check the weather? Thank's

Tips as I'm sure many will tell, to go without expectations, let the Camino guide you and live and enjoy the moments. I went to my previous Caminos with a group of friends and the last one (the Camino Frances) by myself. Going alone was by far my best experience ever as it gave me the opportunity to meet more people along the way, I could feel it more, and when I decided to walk alone I could do it without feeling guilty of 'abandoning' my friends.

I mainly prepare for my Caminos by going into different blogs and throughout this forum and getting feedback and experiences from the ones who already walked it. This helps me prepare myself mentally. As preparing physically, I'll do my routine walks/treks locally possibly including a few hills and some weight in my backpack. An important tip on the Camino: Don't make the Camino a race. Take your time during the day and enjoy it. Stop to have coffees/a short break and take time to enjoy the views.

Weather is very unpredictable. I've experienced torrential rain, scorching heat and cold weather especially walking very early in the morning. So my tip is 'Be Prepared'. Wear layers, a buff can be useful, and waterproof is a must.

Maybe we'll be able to meet in September :)

I'm planning to start from Oviedo on Oct 8th or 9th depending on the timing of my flight into Madrid. It'll be my very first camino. Hope there will be others taking the Primitivo around that time. :)

walking . first october i feel it will be a bit wet .

hello johns,

Thanks for the heads up. I don't mind being a bit wet, as long as I'm not looking at tramping around in mud for long periods of time. Are you saying it may be lots of rain and mud, or just the possibility of a bit more rain then?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My wife and I will be starting from Oviedo on Sept. 13th. Can't wait. been training like crazy and have dropped 20lbs since the start of the year. Less weight to haul up all the hills!

hi
is it possible and nice to walk camino primitivo in middle to end september?
Yes, it is nice. I did it last year and it was great. I encountered some rain the first 3 days but the weather was sunny and not too hot after that. Be prepared to see lots of people once you reach the last 100 km. Go for it, you won’t regret it.
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I'm doing it too. Plan to leave from Oviedo Sept. 22.
I'm walking alone and will be my first time. I plan to guide myself with the Camino Application - do you think that's enough? I'm scared of getting lost. Should I take any pdfs/books with me just in case?
Thanks.

Don’t worry about getting lost. I did the Primitivo as my first Camino last September and so had no problem. The yellow arrows are everywhere you need them. Also, you will not be alone, unless you want to. You will meet other pilgrims and can walk with them. I recommend that you stop in Grado the first night. There is a great albergue and it is a manageable distance from Oviedo for your first day. Buen Camino.

Primitivo numbers are way up this year. Bed rushes and full albergues have been reported. And though I know this forum is just a tiny tiny smidgen of the total number of people walking, the numbers of people talking about walking the primitivo this fall are much greater than those who were talking about it last year.

Just for fun, I scrolled through some of last year’s threads. On this one, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/primitivo-in-the-autumn.47777/ there were a couple of responses, but nothing like the amount of interest shown here.

I guess it’s human nature, but this snowball effect seems to be spreading to other caminos.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will start the Primitivo from Oviedo on Oct 9th for my very first camino, and will also be walking it alone. I was worried that maybe starting then there wouldn't be anyone else walking the Primitivo. That was more worrisome for me that the route itself. BTW......I really do appreciate this forum. It has been a wealth of information for a newbie. Thank you so much. I'm sure I will have more questions as the time draws nearer.

well looks like we all have different dates. I will be walking out of Leon on september 21st taking first The Camino del salvador then The primitivo and finally Muxia. Maybe I will meet some of you alonge the way

I had not heard of Muxia until I read your post, and since I'll have a few extra days before I fly back, I may extend my camino there beyond Santiago. It looks to be a great finishing point with enough time to bus/train back to Madrid. Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey doing my first Camino this year. I’ve got about three weeks and I think I’m going to do the Primitivo through to Finisterre. Does that sound about right time wise?
Setting off around the 26th of September so might see some of you on the trail. :)

Here's another newbie question.......it probably won't be the last one before I go. I've had several well-meaning friends offline try to talk me out of doing the Primivito starting on the 9th of October for different reasons....mostly weather. (Friends of theirs that have walked a camino are advising that I don't do the Primitivo.) Since I am somewhat committed to being in Oveido, I have been advised to try the Norte route instead. Is there any big differences between the two routes during that time? If there really aren't big differences, I'd like to stick with the Primitivo.....everybody agrees that it is beautiful. Thanks for any help!

should be about right, if that is 21 days walking a bit too many I think
Thanks for the reply. I guess you mean I’ll have more time than I need? If so that’s ok with me. Avoiding unnecessary stress is priority numero uno!

I also have another neophyte question: footwear related: what are the main surfaces you are walking on on the Primitivo? I saw in one post it can get very muddy if it’s wet. Which seems fairly likely in October. I won’t be wearing boots but should I be getting gaiters fir my trail runners?

Also are there many rocky sections with large loose stones? Or is it mainly fairly smooth paths? Im considering some Vibram five fingers or even crocs as my secondary footwear because my feet just like being able to spread out properly.

Part of me even wants to take Vibram five fingers as my primary footwear but I’m scared to take the risk. I know I love wearing them and people do thousand mile hikes in them. But I haven’t. I’m planning to do a three day hike in them before I go to see what that’s like.

I’m also aware crocs and Vibram five fingers are the two most controversial types of footwear among many. (Which is odd if you stop to think about it lol) and that if I take both, every conversation I have on the trail will start (and possibly finish) with my shoes. :)

But yes I’m not sure what to take.

Any impartial advice on possible trail conditions in late September thru October would be appreciated. Or point me at a thread if this has been asked before. cheers

@Redhead Keith:
I walked the Primitivo in October 2017. The weather was great and I could wear shorts most of the time. I started in Irun, so I had a bit of training before the Primitivo started, but I wouldn't worry too much. Most of the time it is not challenging at all, except for the Hospitales route, and that is not too bad either. Everybody I met, including people over 70 years old and people just starting in Oviedo without any prior conditioning were able to make it just fine. Unless you are extremely unfit or ancient or have a hip replacement or something you should be fine without extra training. Just make sure your shoes fit and you don't overdo it the first few days.

@Redhead Keith:
I walked the Primitivo in October 2017. The weather was great and I could wear shorts most of the time. I started in Irun, so I had a bit of training before the Primitivo started, but I wouldn't worry too much. Most of the time it is not challenging at all, except for the Hospitales route, and that is not too bad either. Everybody I met, including people over 70 years old and people just starting in Oviedo without any prior conditioning were able to make it just fine. Unless you are extremely unfit or ancient or have a hip replacement or something you should be fine without extra training. Just make sure your shoes fit and you don't overdo it the first few days.

Thanks Keith for the additional insight about the Primitivo....very reassuring. (Folks on this website are awesome!) Looks like I'm overreacting to comments from friends of friends trying to throw a little caution my way. It's interesting how you can dismiss positive advice, but stress a bit over negative ones. Maybe that's what the Camino will help me improve. Guess there will be many lesson awaiting along the Primitivo.

@Redhead Keith:

Hi thanks for the reply Keith. I found that reassuring too. Can you give any more detail on what the trail itself is like? Mainly rocky, packed mud, prepared gravel.. I’m not sure which footwear to take.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I am starting El Camino Primitivo from Oviedo in 3 days. I will try to follow the normal stages and will attempt to do the Hospital route, if the weather permits it. During my research...
Hello to All !! My wife and I are looking at doing the Camino Primitivo sometime around the beginning of May 2024. We are both retired, in relatively good shape having recently completed a high...
Hey all, I would like to plan a Camino for my Easter holidays. I like the look of the Primitivo but as a complete first timer, I’m a little lost in all of the different options. The community...
I did the Camino Frances from St. Jean in 2022. I wouldn't call it life changing or anything that dramatic, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so freeing to unburden myself of responsibilities...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.