Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo in October -- feedback requested

richngail

Time of past OR future Camino
2018: Francés
2022: Primitivo or Portugal coast
Dear Camino Friends,

My wife and I had planned on doing the Primitivo this September, but an ever-filling schedule is removing that month from consideration.

With this in mind, I have these questions about doing the Primitivo in October:

1. How is the weather?

2. Is there sufficient light to allow for longer hikes (where they’re necessary) in order to finish the whole route in 2 weeks?

3. Will sufficient lodging be available?

4. Would bringing a lightweight sleeping bag be wise?

Answers to these questions -- and any other tips you can provide -- will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, I have not done it, but I am planning also a Primitivo, maybe mid-September or early October..
I have looked at the weather, and in October it seems quite pleasant, maybe slightly cool. See thIs link for Borres, just before the legendary Hospitales stage. As it is a mountain area, I would expect quite cold nigths. Some rain also.
Buen camino!

Hi @richngail

Lucky you heading to the Primitivo. I've walked it twice at the time of year you're contemplating -
2014 - started 29 September, arrived 10 October
2019 - started 7 October, arrived SdeC 18 October

So, 12 days each time. Based on my experience.

• Weather was great for us both times. Cold sometimes mornings and evenings, and over the Hospitales route. Maybe a little rain on a few days, but nothing substantial. But the weather is always a gamble any time.
  • Light - It was light by around 7.30/ 8am - the latter by mid October. I think we walked between 25-30 kms most days and usually arrived mid afternoon. The only day we arrived late in the afternoon was Campiello to Berducedo, over Hospitales route
  • Plenty of accommodation - albergues and private rooms (note, this was pre-Covid - so things may have changed but, again, Gronze will have good information)
  • Sleeping bag - depends on whether you're using albergue dormitories or private rooms. If the former, I'd say yes a light sleeping bag to be on the safe side.
Tips:

Accommodation
We chose private rooms last time - the Primitivo has quite a few lovely albergues with both dormitory and private rooms, and communal meals. Check Gronze for information

Oviedo - Highly recommend a day or at least half a day in Oviedo before you begin. It's a wonderful town.

Lugo - Highly recommend arriving in Lugo by lunchtime, early afternoon, to enjoy that fabulous town.
Check the timing of San Froilan Festival in Lugo for this October. Great to be there at that time - but accommodation could be tight.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, I have not done it, but I am planning also a Primitivo, maybe mid-September or early October..
I have looked at the weather, and in October it seems quite pleasant, maybe slightly cool. See thIs link for Borres, just before the legendary Hospitales stage. As it is a mountain area, I would expect quite cold nigths. Some rain also.
Buen camino!
Felipe, thank you for your response -- I appreciate it. Thank you, too, for the weather link. The more weather information, the better!

Hi @richngail

Lucky you heading to the Primitivo. I've walked it twice at the time of year you're contemplating -

• Weather was great for us both times. Cold sometimes mornings and evenings, and over the Hospitales route. Maybe a little rain on a few days, but nothing substantial. But the weather is always a gamble any time.
  • Light - It was light by around 7.30/ 8am - the latter by mid October. I think we walked between 25-30 kms most days and usually arrived mid afternoon. The only day we arrived late in the afternoon was Campiello to Berducedo, over Hospitales route
  • Plenty of accommodation - albergues and private rooms (note, this was pre-Covid - so things may have changed but, again, Gronze will have good information)
  • Sleeping bag - depends on whether you're using albergue dormitories or private rooms. If the former, I'd say yes a light sleeping bag to be on the safe side.
Tips:

Accommodation
We chose private rooms last time - the Primitivo has quite a few lovely albergues with both dormitory and private rooms, and communal meals. Check Gronze for information

Oviedo - Highly recommend a day or at least half a day in Oviedo before you begin. It's a wonderful town.

Lugo - Highly recommend arriving in Lugo by lunchtime, early afternoon, to enjoy that fabulous town.
Check the timing of San Froilan Festival in Lugo for this October. Great to be there at that time - but accommodation could be tight.

Enjoy!
This is terrific information -- I am very grateful for it! Thank you for taking the time to share so much detail with me. Many thanks.

Sunrise in Oviedo on Oct. 1, 2022, will be at 8:21 a.m. I walked the Salvador/Primitivo last September and was very glad to have my headlamp. In October, unless you like to start really late, I think a headlamp would be even more helpful.

I booked everything ahead of time, because of Covid and had single rooms everywhere. Even in Samblismo, I got an albergue room with one bunk bed, and I was alone. It was my first camino without a sleeping bag, because I was always in private rooms (And Javier in Samblismo gave me some blankets). But if you are going to sleep in albergues, and if you “run cold” even a little bit, I would bring a sleeping bag.

I remember that one private albergue in Grandas de Salilme was closing at the end of September, but the rest I saw were open. It was a pleasant change after the Salvador, where some public albergues were (and still are) closed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sunrise in Oviedo on Oct. 1, 2022, will be at 8:21 a.m. I walked the Salvador/Primitivo last September and was very glad to have my headlamp. In October, unless you like to start really late, I think a headlamp would be even more helpful.

I booked everything ahead of time, because of Covid and had single rooms everywhere. Even in Samblismo, I got an albergue room with one bunk bed, and I was alone. It was my first camino without a sleeping bag, because I was always in private rooms (And Javier in Samblismo gave me some blankets). But if you are going to sleep in albergues, and if you “run cold” even a little bit, I would bring a sleeping bag.

I remember that one private albergue in Grandas de Salilme was closing at the end of September, but the rest I saw were open. It was a pleasant change after the Salvador, where some public albergues were (and still are) closed.
Peregrina2000, thank you sharing this with me -- I appreciate the feedback. Your comments about headlamp and sleeping bag use are especially helpful. Again, thank you.

Could you please share your list of places with private rooms in the Primitivo, starting in Oviedo?
I usually like the communality of albergues, but given the current situation, I am considering this option.
I am going in early September, where apparently there are still a sizable number of pilgrims, so I will probably book places beforehand, if possible.

Last edited:

I highly recommend an overnight in Sanblismo with Javier. Only a few minutes past Borres- it is a quiet and well run place

€46,-
I highly recommend an overnight in Sanblismo with Javier. Only a few minutes past Borres- it is a quiet and well run place
Richmond, thank you for this information; it will help with planning. Have a good day!

Richmond, thank you for this information; it will help with planning. Have a good day!
Thanks Rich / RicnNGail, I am considering either the Primitivo or Del Norte in October (after 4xPortuguese) and this helps me in my evaluation.

Hi @richngail

Tips:

Accommodation

Enjoy!
It seems incredible that mere humans can walk 18 miles everyday...how is it that your feet and body don't get injured or worn out?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.