Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo in September 2011

Carminha

Hi! I am going to start the 'Camino Primitivo' on the 11th of September from Oviedo. This is the first time I will try to do it, so I don't really know what to expect!! At the moment, I am a bit concerned with safety issues. Is it likely that I would find other pilgrims on my way (just in case I need help). How busy is this route at that time of the year?? Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Carminha,
I wouldn't worry if i were you. Reports are that the Camino Primitivo is very crowded right now, and though that will taper off I think it means the Primitivo is becoming more popular. I started in Oviedo in early October 3 or 4 years ago and had great weather, good company (never a rush for beds but never alone), and some snow in the mountains (at much higher elevations than the camino). I didn't need much in the way of heavy clothes but was glad I had my lambswool gloves and a ski band for my ears for morning walks. Enjoy the Primitivo, it's lovely. Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you Laurie,

Your answer was very helpful. Now, I just hope I don't have a problem finding a bed! :)

Thanks again for your quick reply.
Carminha

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi!
I´m now in Lugo on Day 10 of the Primitvo (we started in Villaviciosa). The camino is quite crowded and most of the albergues fill up before we get there, so we are glad that we have a tent. We have had pretty good weather, but have had some rain, so you will want rain things. Yesterday was cold by Spanish standards (20 degrees C) which is great for walking. I´m gonig to do a ´live´from the camino post, so you migh want to check that out.

Thanks Everybody!!

I will keep an eye on your post. It will be really helpful.

As Johnnie Walker said, Spanish people take holidays in August. So I hope to have a bed without problems in September. I considered at some point to take a tent with me, but then I will be walking with more than 15kg on my back!! I have chosen to travel light instead. Even my sleeping bag is season 1 (600gr) compared to the original bag I was going to take: season 2 (1.5 kg).

Anyway... if all the beds are taken, would they let me sleep on the floor somewhere??? I am not fussy.

Again, thanks for your help. I can feel the nerves now the date is approaching....

Carminha

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Carmhina,

I´m now in Santiago and have posted an update on the Primitivo. The days are getting a bit colder now so you will definatly need a fleece for the mornings. Check out my ´live from the Primitivo´posts up updates on services and an equipment list.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.