Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo in September - How cold does it get?

mammut

Hello everybody!

I'm starting the Camino del Norte in August in a few days and will then switch to the Camino Primitivo at Oviedo. I wondered how the weather for the Primitivo is at the end of August/beginning of September. Does it get very cold?

I'm taking T-shirts, 1 long sleeved shirt and a very thin fleece hoodie with me. Top layer would be a light rain/outdoor jacket. So I'd have 4 layers maximum, but all very thin and light.

Is this enough for cold mornings and rainy days? Would it be wise to switch the light fleece hoodie for something thicker and warmer?

Any comments concerning the weather (august/september) on the Camino del Norte and Camino Primitivo would be much appreciated :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, mammut,

I walked the primitivo in late Sept/early Oct. and never needed more than a light fleece (polartec 100 if you use those ratings). I had my rain jacket that I could have layered on top but never needed it. It was chilly in the mornings and I found that wearing my lambswool gloves hit the spot. Cold hands make me cold all over for some reason, so I always bring lightweight lambswool gloves for mornings. There was snow in the mountains on the day I left Tineo but at our elevation there was no problem.

So, I think you'll be fine with the layers you propose. In fact, you may be more likely to encounter heat than cold.

Buen camino, lucky you, the primitivo is awesome! Laurie

Hi, mammut,

I walked the primitivo in late Sept/early Oct. and never needed more than a light fleece (polartec 100 if you use those ratings). I had my rain jacket that I could have layered on top but never needed it. It was chilly in the mornings and I found that wearing my lambswool gloves hit the spot. Cold hands make me cold all over for some reason, so I always bring lightweight lambswool gloves for mornings. There was snow in the mountains on the day I left Tineo but at our elevation there was no problem.

So, I think you'll be fine with the layers you propose. In fact, you may be more likely to encounter heat than cold.

Buen camino, lucky you, the primitivo is awesome! Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I walked last year in late September I too only had the light fleece layer. By then the days are getting shorter, and so, yes, the mornings are coolish but nothing that made me wish I'd got dressed in warmer clothes. I carry a lightweight windproof jacket (it is also waterproof) as extra insulation and there were a couple of times that I used that when I stopped for a rest, but that was easier than putting on the fleece. I only walk with a long sleeved shirt and shorts, and although I have a fleece I never used it to walk in, I was warm enough once I started, with the shirt (and shorts). Mind you, I don't feel the cold - factor that into your calculations - how YOU feel the cold.

Cheers, janet

Good point, Janet,

I think we sometimes forget how huge the individual variation is when we talk about "hot" and "cold". I know I am what the Spaniards call a "friolera" (no good translation into English, but it means someone who is always cold) -- I'm the one wearing a fleece in my air conditioned office.

One thing I forgot to add is that I have been told that a huge percentage of body heat escapes from the head, so if you tend to be cold, rather than stuffing more jackets and fleeces into the bag, a thin insulated skull cap that runners use would be a very lightweight way to keep yourself warm.

Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back